???What are the some of the most deceiving rules in the game? Click here.

• what i’m trying to say what are some rules people do not know about in AAR besides the big ones like artillery, battleships, etc. Or just things that are legal that would make a big impact of the game if people knew?

Respond freely.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Not sure if any of the rules are confusing…one might get confused trying to remember which ones apply to Revised and which ones to classic…

Personally, I’m still trying to learn the value of Artillery.  I like the house rule we used to have, Artillery cost 3 IPC, attacked on a 2, defended on a 1…it made them simpler to use.  Now they just do too much to mentally calculate for me.  I’ll get the hang of it, maybe you’ll see me with huge stacks of inf/art instead of inf/arm one day…

My personal favorite rule is the 3 defense armor!  It took a while to get used to factoring in that change, but wow!  It sure makes life easier!  Suddenly armor are worth it for Russia.

My second favorite is the ability to put any mechanized unit with an infantry on a transport!  1 Arm, 1 Inf is much better for island hopping hten 2 inf were!!!  (Inf/Art works well too, but as I said, I’m not big into artillery yet!)

• The rule we have had the most difficulty with is the opening fire step in every round of combat. Particularly naval combats involving subs. Every round that a sub is on the board and a DD isn’t for either side is a chance for a ship to go down without getting a chance to swing back. It took us ahwile to get that thru our heads.

The new FTRs on New ACs and old FTRs on new ACs but no new FTRs on old ACs in the out of box rules can get missed.

• That is one of the thigns that LHTR fixed :-)

submerging subs in general pose the biggest annoyance/problems with the rules.  Multiple forces from multiple nations, all in the same space, but none of them able to attack together…

And this little ditty froma few games ago…
    A single sub bought and placed into a SZ can prevent ALL BB shots from that SZ, AND prevent any enemy TRN’s in that SZ from doing NON-Combat movement that turn.

That is a beotch of a rule… one that Germany can use to their advanatge quite nicely :-)

• 2007 AAR League

The rule about fgts using up their movement to land in a terrirtory with an IC & then being able to load onto a newly built carrier, effectively giving them a 5 movement range.

• @jsp4563:

The rule about fgts using up their movement to land in a terrirtory with an IC & then being able to load onto a newly built carrier, effectively giving them a 5 movement range.

That rule is gone in LHTR.  FIGs have to fly to the SZ where the AC will be built.

• Changing the rule to land where the carrier will be built increases the movement of fighters to 5 also since that can save them from moving one more to a landing spot.

It was an odd rule change; seems kind of arbitrary to me.

I like it.  I see it as making the carrier more valuable…then again, I woudl have left the price at 18 IPC since you can now put old fighters on new carriers and new fighters on new carriers and new fighters on old carriers…

I see how it artificially extends teh range of your fighters, but no more so then retreating might.

• I have read the reasoning behind it, and it makes sense.

The FIG has to end its legal 4 space move in the territory/SZ where it will be at the end of the turn (no movement after NCM).  Having it go to the territory of the IC meant the FIGs were moving after Place new Units phase.  This way, there is NO movement after NCM.

I didn’t say I disliked the LHTR modification, just that I didn’t see a problem with the extra movement point, personally.  I see the merits in both.  Besides, you really think Larry takes that much time out of his busy day playing Axis and Allies and fishing to make sure every rule is fair and balanced???

• That is what Blackwatch and the other folks are for :-)

• @Jennifer:

Besides, you really think Larry takes that much time out of his busy day playing Axis and Allies and fishing to make sure every rule is fair and balanced???

Actually, in some circles there has been a lot of speculation about what Larry really does with his time.  The games are just a hobby; his real plans are bigger.

My guess: have you ever seen Larry Harris and Raul Castro together at the same time?  No.  That’s not a coincidence.  I believe Larry, a.k.a. Raul, is currently plotting to overthrow the Cuban government.

And the kicker: he’s not really all that in to being a dictator; he’s overthrowing a sovereign state just as a publicity stunt to promote his new board game, Battle of the Bulge.

Very “Chuck Norris” of him.

::snicker::

And here I thought he was the leader of an underground movement to elect Mickey Mouse the next Secretary General of the United Nations!

• I’ve always been a little confused regarding planes moving through a canal zone…

…is it the same as ships (two spaces from one side to the other), or does a plane require a third movement point to get over the land?

• Canals are not zones.  They do not count as spaces for land or air.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m