• Hi,

I had an interesting idea concerning submarines and wanted to know if anybody
    has tried something similar out and your experiences with this.

1. A player can submerge a submarine in his NCM phase. This submarine can
      stay submerged as long as it wants. (Alternative: place a control marker under the
      sub every round. When one/two/x markers are under the sub, it has to surface
      in the next round.

2. A submerged submarine may move through hostile sea zones as it likes.
      Exception: When it enters a sea zone with an enemy destroyer in it, a die is rolled
      for every sub in the pack. All subs must surface if at least one 3 is rolled (super sub: one 2)
      Corollary: It is only allowed to enter a sea zone with a destroyer in it in a combat move phase.
      Combat ensues when the subs have to surface.
      (The player may of course make a normal move and simply surface and attack the
      destroyers in its CM. All subs have to surface at once).

3. If a destroyer enters a sea zone where submerged enemy subs are stationed in a combat move,
      they are immediately detected (normal combat).
      They are never detected during a destroyer non combat move.

Alternatives: submerged subs may be taken off the board and remain hidden (write down their
    moves and reveal only when they resurface during attack or after x turns, so that other players
    can check against cheating. Problem here: you have to rely on the player noticing when a DD
    enters a sub field, could be inadvertently forgotten).

What do you think of these rules? Game breakers? Interesting additions?
    Other ideas?

Regards,
    sponge

• I like the idea except this:

1. If a destroyer enters a sea zone where submerged enemy subs are stationed in a combat move,
      they are immediately detected (normal combat).
      They are never detected during a destroyer non combat move.

++++ the whole idea of subs is to be on station waiting for some target to come by… If you just allow any destroyer to “SEE” the sub automatically on CM it defeats the purpose. I feel you must install that roll the DD has to make to achieve detection ( either that 3 or 2)

Alternatives: submerged subs may be taken off the board and remain hidden (write down their
    moves and reveal only when they resurface during attack or after x turns, so that other players
    can check against cheating.

+++++ this adds a filter of extra chores that are not fun to play for most… I like the token idea better. Even if subs are on the board it requires a destroyer (dd) to locate it with the roll.

• Imperious Leader:
    the whole idea of subs is to be on station waiting for some target to come by… If you just allow any destroyer to “SEE” the sub automatically on CM it defeats the purpose. I feel you must install that roll the DD has to make to achieve detection ( either that 3 or 2)

++++ Thanks Imperious Leader for your comments, you are right, I’ll drop this. Ditto the hidden subs.
    Here are the new rules (bold stuff is new):

1. A player can submerge a submarine in his NCM phase or during his CM phase
      when he retreats from an attack. Place a control marker under the
      sub every round after the round where the sub submerged. When two markers are under the sub, it has to surface
      in the next round. (In effect, it can move 8 fields submerged: 2 in the submerging round, 2 in marker one
      round, 2 in marker two round, 2 in surfacing round).

(This may be a bit too much, I’ll have to playtest it. Maybe one marker is enough, making for 6 fields)

2. A submerged submarine may move through hostile sea zones without restriction.
      Exception: When it enters a sea zone with an enemy destroyer in it, a die is rolled
      for every sub in the pack. All subs must surface if at least one 3 is rolled (super sub: one 2)
      Corollary: It is only allowed to enter a sea zone with a destroyer in it in a combat move phase.
      Combat ensues when the subs have to surface.
      The number of destroyers does not influence the detection dice roll, only the number of subs
      (similar to AA gun / Fighter / Bomber rule)

The player may of course make a normal move and simply surface and attack the
      destroyers in its CM.
      All subs in the same sea zone have to surface at once.

3. **If a destroyer enters a sea zone where submerged enemy subs are stationed in a combat move,
      they are detected on a roll of three (on a two for super subs). Again, roll as many dice as there are
      subs in the sea zone, the number of destroyers has no effect. If a sub is detected, they are all detected
      and have to suface.
      (Optional rule: DD can go sub hunting: if they only move one sea zone in their CM phase instead of two

• this has to be declared in advance - they may add 1 to their detection roll.**
      Subs are never detected during a destroyer non combat move.

**4)  Attacking and defending subs may submerge except when an enemy destroyer is present (as stated in LHTR 1.3.).
    If the sub submerges during combat, this round counts as a full submerging round.
    Example: A sub has one marker under it, indicating that it has been submerged for two rounds.
    In this round, it attacks on its CM phase, but retreats during the attack by submerging (or, if victorious, it
    submerges in its NCM phase). Do not remove the control marker, instead, place another control marker under
    the sub.

1. The markers are only removed if the sub surfaces during its NCM phase. (In effect, giving the opponent
      the chance to take at least one combat action against subs even if he does not posess destroyers).**

So, I think I’ve thought of most of the stuff that can occur, I’ll start playtesting,  any feedback is welcome :-)
    Additional thought: with this new sub capabiltiy, maybe it would be wise to raise the price of the sub?
    (for instance to 10 IPCs?) And maybe the super sub advantages should not be applied to the DD detection
    roles. Any comments would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    sponge

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m