• Howdy, I just got this game and I think I’m doing something wrong. I have read that it’s easy for UK players to prevent G from invading the UK but I don’t see how. Last round G buys a transport and puts it by Germany. Next round they load it with two inf, move two squares and invade Scotland. That’s an amphib invasion so it happens first. Unless I have surface ships in that sea zone there isn’t anything I can do about it right? All of that happens before UK gets to do any combat. What am I missing? Thanks!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

When people talk about Sealion they mean London. Not UK in general.

• @andrewaagamer Correct me if I’m wrong but all of Scotland and UK is the same thing isn’t it? Is London something different?

• @crudbasher said in How to prevent SeaLion?:

@andrewaagamer Correct me if I’m wrong but all of Scotland and UK is the same thing isn’t it? Is London something different?

Okay, now I am a bit confused. My bad if this is an AA50 question, as I now see we are in a 1941 thread. But you said Scotland so I assumed Global 1940 because as far as I know that version is the only one with Scotland as a territory.

As I am not sure what thread we are in which version is your question about?
    AA50 1941

• @andrewaagamer This is a 1941 question. In that game the UK is just one space. Thanks!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Thanks!

Okay, I have actually not played this game however, I am not sure that makes a difference to your question. I assume since this a more simplified and earlier starting version of Spring Edition 1942 it uses the AA50/Global 1940 ruleset. Though, I guess that doesn’t really matter either.

Per your question we are not talking G1 because there is no German transport to start the game that can strike UK. GX Germany buys a transport and the following Turn they attack UK (aka London) to take the capitol. You are correct there is nothing to stop the actual attack itself.

When people say “You can stop Sealion”, what I assume they mean is while you cannot stop the attack you can stop it from being successful, or at least a very low odds battle.

I would assume a G2 Sealion is the most likely and most at risk attack for UK. The Germans would buy a transport, sink the UK fleet in SZ8 and prepare for a G2 Sealion. It does not appear the German transport in the Med can make the attack as they would have to be in SZ14, and killed by UK/US, or in SZ 15 and blocked by the US.

So on G2 that gives the Germans 1 infantry, 1 armor, 3 fighters and a bomber to hit London. I do not count the battleship as this game does not allow bombardment.

UK can buy only 3 units so 2 infantry and 1 armor would provide the best defense. They start with 1 infantry, 1 fighter and 1 bomber. Let’s assume one additional armor from Canada via the UK fleet in SZ 10. I say this because I doubt this fleet dies on G1 because if the Germans want to build a transport in SZ 5 this means they need the German battleship to defend it thus making the SZ 8 attack really needing both subs because they also want to kill the fleet in SZ 14. You can add or remove the armor as you feel is more realistic.

Since Russia goes first and doesn’t know if Germany is going to build a transport or not on G1 I assume they land their fighter in Archangel on R1 so it can make UK on R2.

So worst case for UK without the armor is 10%:
    UK = 3 infantry, 1 armor, 2 fighters and 2 bombers
    Germany = 1 infantry, 1 armor (must survive), 3 fighters and a 1 bomber

Best case is 3%:
    UK = 3 infantry, 2 armor, 2 fighters and 2 bombers
    Germany = 1 infantry, 1 armor (must survive), 3 fighters and a 1 bomber

• @andrewaagamer That’s a good analysis. So you can’t really stop an invasion attempt but you can see it coming hopefully and can put enough defenses to defeat it.

Where I was puzzled was I thought there was a way to prevent the landing but besides stationing a huge fleet offshore a decent ground force seems to be the way.

Thanks very much for your advice!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m