• EDIT: Adding units owned by British to 98 Sea Zone: 1 submarine
    • EDIT: Adding units owned by British to Malta: 1 fighter
    • EDIT: Adding units owned by British to 71 Sea Zone: 1 transport
    • EDIT: Adding units owned by Russians to Volgograd: 1 fighter
    • EDIT: Adding units owned by Russians to Russia: 1 fighter
    • EDIT: Adding units owned by Russians to Caucasus: 1 fighter

• EDIT: Adding units owned by Chinese to Yunnan: 1 infantry

• 2.11.22g1 b.tsvg

Let me know if you want any more edits before this turn. If not, here are my attacks for G1.
    Scramble?

• Arthur Bomber HarrisA Arthur Bomber Harris referenced this topic on

• @arthur-bomber-harris well, what do you all think? he’s tempting me.

• @crockett36 said in ABH and Crockett36, (A+100) tutor game:

@arthur-bomber-harris well, what do you all think? he’s tempting me.

Why would you scramble here?

• @squirecam said in ABH and Crockett36, (A+100) tutor game:

@crockett36 said in ABH and Crockett36, (A+100) tutor game:

Not sure if you want input from others, but here’s my thoughts

Maybe you trade planes with the Luftwaffe, which might help Russia out a little later, but I think the bid has achieved what you wanted, he’s had to concentrate his attack. I’d be tempted to leave those ships to sink and save the planes for him to have more to worry about in Western Europe when he wants to be focusing on the Eastern Front. You could use the rest of the Home Fleet and some of those planes to be a nice foundation to a fleet which can threaten invasion on territories he won’t want to be having to defend or retake.

• @flyingbadger said in ABH and Crockett36, (A+100) tutor game:

@squirecam said in ABH and Crockett36, (A+100) tutor game:

@crockett36 said in ABH and Crockett36, (A+100) tutor game:

Not sure if you want input from others, but here’s my thoughts

Maybe you trade planes with the Luftwaffe, which might help Russia out a little later, but I think the bid has achieved what you wanted, he’s had to concentrate his attack. I’d be tempted to leave those ships to sink and save the planes for him to have more to worry about in Western Europe when he wants to be focusing on the Eastern Front. You could use the rest of the Home Fleet and some of those planes to be a nice foundation to a fleet which can threaten invasion on territories he won’t want to be having to defend or retake.

But you may not trade planes at all. Germany has 4 hits to take with 2 subs and the BB. Those will die anyways so why lose a plane. And with overwhelming force Germany will take 3 UK fighters and with minimal losses. You don’t want to be on the bad end of 95% battles.

• @squirecam @FlyingBadger @crockett36 I would say no because our bid forced G to commit the BB + 2 SS into a single attack of one fleet. Our counter will sweep his remaining units and losing the BB means the Germans will not be able to slow the Atlantic push at all. @Arthur-Bomber-Harris knew this and didn’t buy any replacement navy.

I do like to scramble for the UK because Luftwaffe losses are hard for Germany to make up in the first 3 turns. But in this battle as mentioned by @squirecam, the likely 4 hits will only kill navy, so the outcome is 0 Luftwaffe vs 3 UK fighter dead. Ground the planes and wait for the next opportunity.

• @surfer said in ABH and Crockett36, (A+100) tutor game:

@squirecam @FlyingBadger @crockett36 I would say no because our bid forced G to commit the BB + 2 SS into a single attack of one fleet. Our counter will sweep his remaining units and losing the BB means the Germans will not be able to slow the Atlantic push at all. @Arthur-Bomber-Harris knew this and didn’t buy any replacement navy.

I do like to scramble for the UK because Luftwaffe losses are hard for Germany to make up in the first 3 turns. But in this battle as mentioned by @squirecam, the likely 4 hits will only kill navy, so the outcome is 0 Luftwaffe vs 3 UK fighter dead. Ground the planes and wait for the next opportunity.

It depends on the bid obviously, but as Germany I always send more than enough so that the odds on the battles are as high as possible assuming a scramble. If I have an 80% or higher win, I’ll take the risk that you scramble because the odds say you will lose more than I would.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

No scramble abh!

• 2.11.22g1-c.tsvg

A destroyer would have been more helpful in SZ106 if you had wanted to swing the odds more strongly in the Allied favor. Still was a risky attack for me, but the German navy is going to die soon in this match.

Enjoy a fun Russian turn.

• @arthur-bomber-harris I’m not sure how to proceed. I can post a proposed turn. Or I can tell you that I will fly all planes to Yunnan. I think some like to send tanks south to grab iraq?

• @crockett36 as we have seen in previous tutor games, it is hard to give advice as people quickly lose interest after a few turns, and the process does bog down the turns for days or weeks.

Do you feel confident enough to make your own choices with this substantial bid? I think your advisors gave you good recommendations that will set you up for a strong beginning.

• @arthur-bomber-harris @crockett36 I would think that if you want community input, you’d have to agree to a slower pacing than a normal game. I believe the original idea was to have a proposed move by the nominal Allied leader. Give the community a set # of days to reply with comments. Conduct combat. Propose NCM and get any inputs. Then finalize move.

Yes this is a slow process, but the positive is that you allow time for multiple viewpoints and you allow others to “buy-in” to the Allied push and be involved.

The alternative is for @crockett36 to just play and get feedback on his moves, but this will result in the problems you saw in the last tutor game where everyone else feels like their inputs were not able to be provided in a manner to affect the outcome of the game. Thus they will either respond critically to moves that they would not have made, or just not bother to provide anymore input.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

@crockett36 Regarding the proposed move, I’m mostly in favor.
    Buy = 12 inf. Good
    Stack Yunnan. As discussed, initially devastating to Japan
    Retreating Siberian forces from Japanese first strike. Good
    Move Russian forces to Eastern front. Good.
    Since Germany doesn’t have a DD, placing the sub in SZ125, I like.
    Block with the Cruiser in SZ114. Yes
    Mech and Tank in Sikang. Good. Allows for defense Turn 2.

I don’t think I would commit the second tank and mech. Leave them for the Eastern Front. Yunnan has a good chance of holding Turn 2 with the above forces, and then the UK can help out in Yunnan Turn 3. Thus no need for additional Russian forces.
    However, they could be helpful. So I’m not sure.

The fighter should go to Moscow. It can fly to Yunnan if needed (probably will), but has more flexibility and defense there.

• @surfer I will move plane to Moscow. The “other” tank/mech are actually destined for Persia or Iraq but feigning a press into china. I will commit to these moves if no further comments by end of day.

@arthur-bomber-harris @crockett36 I would think that if you want community input, you’d have to agree to a slower pacing than a normal game. I believe the original idea was to have a proposed move by the nominal Allied leader. Give the community a set # of days to reply with comments. Conduct combat. Propose NCM and get any inputs. Then finalize move.

Yes this is a slow process, but the positive is that you allow time for multiple viewpoints and you allow others to “buy-in” to the Allied push and be involved.

The alternative is for @crockett36 to just play and get feedback on his moves, but this will result in the problems you saw in the last tutor game where everyone else feels like their inputs were not able to be provided in a manner to affect the outcome of the game. Thus they will either respond critically to moves that they would not have made, or just not bother to provide anymore input.

I think this is part of it.

I also think the point of a tutor game is to tutor those watching rather than those playing. In other words, the two people involved should be explaining after their moves what they did and why they did it. So those who need to learn strategy can see the thought process play out in real time.

This instead is as you put it. The community of those providing thoughts or input, but slowly. And not always with the best moves or in line with the overall strategy.

@crockett36 Regarding the proposed move, I’m mostly in favor.
    Buy = 12 inf. Good
    Stack Yunnan. As discussed, initially devastating to Japan
    Retreating Siberian forces from Japanese first strike. Good
    Move Russian forces to Eastern front. Good.
    Since Germany doesn’t have a DD, placing the sub in SZ125, I like.
    Block with the Cruiser in SZ114. Yes
    Mech and Tank in Sikang. Good. Allows for defense Turn 2.

I don’t think I would commit the second tank and mech. Leave them for the Eastern Front. Yunnan has a good chance of holding Turn 2 with the above forces, and then the UK can help out in Yunnan Turn 3. Thus no need for additional Russian forces.
    However, they could be helpful. So I’m not sure.

The fighter should go to Moscow. It can fly to Yunnan if needed (probably will), but has more flexibility and defense there.
    Dont sort of stack Yunnan. If that is the call then go all in with additional Russians. You should be landing UK forces to take out the Germans where possible and eliminate all remaining axis navy.

You have a tremendous starting bid and opportunity to put pressure immediately and force ABH to play real conservative.

• @squirecam well you bring up a good point that should be decided by the two main players @Arthur-Bomber-Harris and @crockett36
    Do they want to play amongst themselves and provide commentary of their thoughts, where the community can be free to add? Or play slower game with full community input?

Both options have pros and cons.

I feel the first game between @AndrewAAGamer and @trulpen was option#2, and the last game with @Arthur-Bomber-Harris and @crockett36 became option #1. Because more people could influence the game, I think more strategy was shared in option #1 with wider viewpoints. But it is slower.

Ultimately, I’m not playing the game, and so has to be decided by those who are.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Ugh, i meant option #2 has more input… community vs abh.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m