• I haven’t gotten around to playing this game yet as I picked it up (for a loony price) on ebay a few weeks ago. At first glance it appears to have a lots of sculpts included but being the OCD type that I am, I wondered if anyone who has experience of playing it could tell me what pieces, if any tend to run out on live games?

• @leebear In my experience I haven’t run out of any pieces while playing a game.

• @655321
    Excellent. Thanks for the info!

• @leebear

There’s an overall abundance of each piece for each nation and each piece that I did run out of I simply supplemented with the 70 grey tokens that come with the game.

• @thedesertfox
    I’ve painted all my pieces so I wanted to make sure I did enough. Battleships were my main concern as Japan and USA can end up in an arms race in the Pacific and when you go to the battleboard for the more complicated battles it gets awkward assigning hits to units that are denoted by chips.

• @leebear

100%. As what you said with battleships I didn’t so much run out of battleships as I did aircraft carriers and fighters. As Japan I would consistently strive to have atleast 5 aircraft carriers on the board fully loaded with fighters already using 10 of my fighters. I typically dont like to divert fighters from my carriers to the land since that gets to be a bit tedious and too confusing so I typically will also like to have fighters strictly prohibited to land fighting. So in turn, having tokens on my aircrafts carriers to represent 2 as well as then having to put tokens on my fighters would make for a super confusing combat experience on the battleboard but it goes both ways as well with each piece.

• Only other piece variance I wish I had more of would be more German and Soviet tanks. Even though I dont think they exist, some IS models would have been pretty cool. Not only that but the Tiger tank, which does exist only in the 41 edition, only problem is there’s not enough of the pieces to go around.

• @thedesertfox
    I’ve done 8 battleships and 8 carriers for both the USA and Japan. Probably half that for everyone else. I’ve done probably 20 fighters for each as well.
    That 1941 set is a nightmare in terms of limited pieces. I ended up combining 2 sets but since then I’ve swapped a lot of pieces out for the unique, nation specific sculpts. I actually like the 1941 game for its simplicity though. The fact that you can’t build IC’s actually keeps navies relevant for the whole game. (Particularly for Japan).

• @thedesertfox
    They were selling a really nice Tiger sculpt (even better than the 1941 sculpt) over at historicalboardgaming.com. I bought 12. I’m not sure if they are still available though.

• @leebear said in A question on components.:

@thedesertfox
    I’ve done 8 battleships and 8 carriers for both the USA and Japan. Probably half that for everyone else. I’ve done probably 20 fighters for each as well.
    That 1941 set is a nightmare in terms of limited pieces. I ended up combining 2 sets but since then I’ve swapped a lot of pieces out for the unique, nation specific sculpts. I actually like the 1941 game for its simplicity though. The fact that you can’t build IC’s actually keeps navies relevant for the whole game. (Particularly for Japan).

yeah i definteely agree. I played that game throughout my beginnings of A&A with a friend of mine until I upgraded to Anniversary, then 42’, and finally Global 40’. I also forgot about those custom American fighters that I atleast thought were selling in Historical Boardgaming. They were the ones different from the P-38 Lightning, the other model was the Chance Vought Corsair, the plane with the bent wings. I honestly prefered those over the twin engine models since first off, those weren’t standard issue planes in the second world war, and second, I just think the Corsairs look way cooler.

• Official Q&A

@thedesertfox said in A question on components.:

They were the ones different from the P-38 Lightning, the other model was the Chance Vought Corsair, the plane with the bent wings. I honestly prefered those over the twin engine models since first off, those weren’t standard issue planes in the second world war, and second, I just think the Corsairs look way cooler.

The P-38 was the primary long-range fighter of the US until the introduction of the P-51 late in the war. It was produced in large numbers throughout the war and served in all of the theatres of the war.

• @krieghund

Oh you know what you’re actually right on that, my apologies for the historical inaccuracy, even still the F6F Hellcat was manufactured in large numbers even before that, though that fighter was used primarily on carriers and in the Pacific front of the war to counter the Zero.

• My play group runs out of Japanese tanks. They usually get two IC’s in Asia, and go for the tank March to Moscow. I scavenged extra tanks and roundels from my original Axis and Allies game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m