Original Controller of Solomon Islands (I don't think this is a correct rule explanation, please help.)

• Re: Original japanese territory?

In A&A Anniversary 1942 setup, if the US takes the Solomon islands, does the US control it or do they simply free it up for the UK?

• @bigfatal
    They liberate it for UK.

At the beginning of the 1942 game the Solomon Islands are controlled by Japan, but the original controller is UK.

• @panther Thank you so much for the answer. Here is my question/concern. How the heck is the USA Pacific side supposed to gain any IPCs to battle Japan if most of the islands now go to UK instead of like in the revised edition? Just wondering.

• @panther The reason I ask is I have been playing Axis and Allies since 1986 but I am new to the Anniversary edition, that is a pretty big and meaningful change don’t you think? Now UK I guess becomes the giant rich country instead of the US?

• @bigfatal

Yes and no. The UK has a lot of earning potential, but a lot of it is vulnerable to attack or capture, making UK very “swingy”. If things are go well for the allies, UK will be pretty wealthy, if it goes badly UK can end up being very cash strapped indeed. Playing with national objectives (which is the way I prefer to play) will amplify this even further as the UK is the easiest ally for the Axis to prevent earning any bonuses.

Meanwhile the US has a huge does of IPCs that are rarely touched by the axis, even when things go badly for the allies, and is also the only nation with 20 ipcs of objective bonuses available, so the US is still very much the big spender of the game.

As to what’s in it for the US in the pacific: Its less about increasing US earnings and more about limiting Japan’s. Left unchallenged Japan can reach stratospheric income, bringing the UK economy to its knees as they drive to Moscow.

There are also two pacific based objectives for the US, so that adds 10 potential ipcs of direct incentive, plus the chance to pick up one more for the UK and prevent Japan from earning any, which stacks up to enough money to justify a US fleet investment.

I find allied players that are good with a slow push play style do well fighting it out in the pacific, but those that are better at a quick kill/knockout blow style will have more success trying to kill Germany before Japan gets too big. I also find a pacific allied strat is more likely to work in the 1942 set up than it does in 1941. (Part of the reason I like that set up better)

Without objectives it may be better for the allies to just fight a delaying action in the pacific and focus on Germany, but I have not played that way enough to say for sure.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m