• This is a continuation of my previous “Aliens?” thread.  I’d like to find out where anyone thinks aliens (if they exist) actually come from.

I believe that they may be super-evolved human beings.  I believe this because to be similar anatomically suggests some kind of common heritage.  How they got here, back in our time, is all up to speculation.  My guess is that they got sucked through a series of worm-holes that, overall, sent them back in time to the prehistoric era, and they’ve been here, observing us, ever since.

What do all of you think?

• First off, I am not willing to conceed that ETs bear any resemblance to humans.  I simply do not put enough faith in the claims of ET sightings in the past 50 years or so to make that assumption.

As far as being some type of super-evolved being…
    I am inclinded to think more along the lines of Asimov’s “The Last Question” in that regard
    (fantastic short story, and I think you would enjoy it based on your posts here)

• I feel robotic forms of life are just as possible. That way the parts dont wear out as fast and essentually life can go on forever.

check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBdfoZkwmn0&search=cylon%20comic

• switch:
    I’m saying this more as an “IF”, because I don’t really KNOW any of this, nor can I prove anything.  Just think of it this way:  IF aliens are humanoid, with only subtle anatomical differences to ourselves, then would that not suggest something along those lines?

Imperious:
    Yes, that’s also true.  Machines with intelligence might just view their automated anatomy as superior to any organic models.  (Just like the machines in the Matrix, they might view humans and other biological life-forms as “unnecessary” and “obsolete”)

• @AgentOrange:

Machines with intelligence might just view their automated anatomy as superior to any organic models.  (Just like the machines in the Matrix, they might view humans and other biological life-forms as “unnecessary” and “obsolete”)

Or they may not recognize biological life as life at all.  Like Teletran-1 in the Transformers  :-D

• 2007 AAR League

Due to the vastness, huge vastness of space, there could be thousands of alien races and no one would ever no about each other.  In astronomy class, there are galaxies and super galaxies, between them, HUGE voids of nothingness, not even gases or dust, just nothing.  There are an almost infinate number of galaxies with billions of stars in each…  It goes that unless someone can bend time and space to reach a distance, how could we ever get to a far away destination.  Aliens would come in my opinion as robot driods like ours, sent out into space forever in a direction.  It think we would only meet their engineered robots.

• Yep and thats why Cylons are real. They are coming soon.

• This may be a way to travel through space quickly:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/fundamentals/mg18925331.200.html

• 2007 AAR League

interesting, perhaps in the future they could make even faster engines.  But the universe is still way to big.  MAybe something similar to the hyperdrive in the movie, Event Horizon.  Fold two spaces into the same space.  With still trying to reach a destination in a straight line, even with super super fast engines, to reach another galaxy would take forever.  With this new drive mad scientist, we may be on our way.  I hope so.

• bossk, thank you for the Transformers reference.  It’s important not to forget that kinda stuff.  :wink:

• Is there any relevence to this question, or secondary point, if you don’t believe in E.T. life at all?

• It’s just an attempt to gain some insight into the existence of aliens.  Anyone is free to introduce any secondary points, or state that they don’t believe in aliens at all.  But as I said as my opening statement, this is a continuation of my previous “Aliens?” thread, in which the main topic of discussion was whether or not they exist.

• Do you mean intelligent life or one-celled bacteria?

There’s a high probability that aliens do exist, but nobody knows for sure.

Isaac Asimov didn’t include aliens in his Foundation series, I don’t know why–can someone tell me

• Unlike myself I’m guessing he did believe in the possibility of aliens, but I’m fairly certain that his reason for not including any is because the premise for the Foundation Series is Gibbon’s The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire set in space.

• In order to have life on a planet (let alone intelligent life), you need a medium sized star containing the right amount of metals and hydrogen, a planet with the right amount of mass, the planet has to be at the right distance from the star,the planet has to be in a nearly circular orbit, the planet has to have enough water and nitrogen and carbon, and a gas giant farther out to deflect comets wouldn’t hurt.

We have detected about 200 extra solar planets so far, and only a handful have some of the above criteria (two of the stars are called 47 Ursae Majoris, 44 light years away, and Gliese 777A, 52 light years away www.extrasolar.net These two star systems have Jupiters at the right distance for comet deflection and would be stable with an Earth-like planet closer in).

• Oh ya. You could also have life on the moon of a gas giant if the moon had an ocean (covered by ice or not) and an internal heat source if it was covered by ice (like Europa).

• Madscientist…

The only issue I have with your post is that it is based on assumptions regarding life based on a single example… Earth.

It MAY be correct for Carbon based life, but it may not.  With only a single example, and all life here living under the same criteria, of course it all needs the same basic things.

But could carbon based life have evolved differently under different circumstances?
    What about Solicon based life (another often considered example in Sco-Fi)
    Or perhaps life of a totally different type all together?  One that is Hydrogen or helium based and lives in the high energy environment of the sun?  (has been speculated about in fiction, sorry, I cannot place my hands on the book a tthe moment, Angel and I are redoing the office and my library is in a score of 6’ stacks in the guest room).

• Uh, yeah, but that would be a totally alien species. Scientists don’t think it’s possible to have hydrogen or helium-based organisms… Just imagine–hydrogen is the lightest element and helium is not abundant enough!

• It is on the surface of the sun…

• I like the idea that the planet Mercury actually may have ice at its caps. If you move further south eventually a barrier of say 100 miles exists where the temp goes to 600 degrees. I wonder if life can be sustained in the “in between region”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m