• Hello All,

I’ve been toying with the idea of making a brand new A&A style game from the ground up for a couple months. The idea comes from countless hours spent on Global War '36 v2 and v3 (amazing games) and G40. There were quite a few rules and mechanics I ended up changing and added a few house rules, and it got to the point where I could make an entire new game.
    The main mechanical changes would be a complete reconstruction of combat. Organization of units into divisions and regiments, wings and squadrons, and task forces and fleets. Start date being June of 1919, days before the Treaty of Versailles was signed. Redesigned and complex research tree with historically accurate developments. Addition of resources and construction requirements (food, water, steel, iron, etc.) Weather.
    Lots of new developments I have been writing down…

First thing I need to figure out, though, is how to create the game boards. Yes, plural. One master board where divisions and fleets can be organized and big picture strategy developed. Smaller, local boards (Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Western Russia, Mediterranean, Middle East, India/SE Asia, China/Japan, Pacific Ocean Islands) for tactical play on a regiment/brigade scale. Possibly smaller region/ city board for optional play through historical battles (Stalingrad, Battle of France, Invasion of Malay, etc.)
    Point is, I need a program to design the boards and then print them out. Ideally I don’t want to buy Adobe, so something free to start with, but I’m open to ideas and spending a bit of cash.

The miniatures I was just going to buy off of HBG and original boxed games. It’s a bit pricey, but I don’t know any alternatives, but am always open to ideas.

Once the game is complete, I might try and market it as a boxed game and get it published, dunno! But I will try and keep this forum updated with progress and I am always open to design ideas and different perspectives. Let me know what you guys think!

It probably won’t be nearly as complex as The Battle for North Africa board game, but defiantly more than GW36 v3.

• @ryandascienti I unfortunately cannot help with this, but it sounds like an awesome game if carried out right, good luck!

• Hi @ryandascienti - MORE complex than GW36_v3, eh? Wow! I can’t wait to see what you’ve come up with!

RE: Map design on a budget, GIMP and Inkscape are where it’s at. Both of those programs are free, incredible graphics options (GIMP for bitmaps/raster images, Inkscape for vector/PDF) that I and many of the other designers here have used for decades. Many of the people here will let you use their maps as a baseline as well, just ask.

I’d love to work with you on miniatures and board game design in general - if you’re in the market for affordable minis check out my etsy store where I have Wheat/Food minis, Oil Drums, Metal Bars/Ingots and lots of other A&A units and bits for these sorts of prototypes and wargame variants.

• @ryandascienti said in Possible New A&A Game:

Point is, I need a program to design the boards and then print them out. Ideally I don’t want to buy Adobe, so something free to start with, but I’m open to ideas and spending a bit of cash.

I think GIMP is generally thought of as the poor man’s photoshop. I believe it has the vast majority of the abilities that photoshop has, although it might take more steps to get the same result. There are lots of helpful YouTube videos about how to do things in GIMP though.

I used GIMP to make a custom map, but at the end of the day wished I’d just payed for photoshop. It’s not because I couldn’t get the job done with GIMP, but just for compatibility. For example, I tried to give my GIMP file to an experienced artist friend to do some work on, but I wasn’t able to convert the GIMP file to a Photoshop file without a loss of information. (layers/vectors and such)

• Possible aircraft models needed for each country:

If you think I should make changes, LMK. Most of these models I can get through HBG, but if anyone knows of any other places that sell these let me know too.

Thanks,
    Ryan

image.jpg image.jpg

• @vodot

Yeah man that sounds great. Id be happy to work in the design process in the coming weeks with you. Is this the best way you want to communicate?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

@ryandascienti

Hi Ryan,

You mentioned that you are looking for playing pieces for your new game.

Tumbling Dice have scale 1/600 air planes - plus tons of other stuff.

GHQ Models have scale 1/285 Tanks, vehicles, artillery etc… super detailed.

Both scales from Tumbling Dice and GHQ Models are identical to the scale used in the OOB Axis & Allies games.

We use only these to companies for our supply of units for the Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion series.

Captain

• I think you have some very interesting ideas and I can’t wait to see what comes of them.

Refighting WW2 by starting all the way back in 1919? That sounds cool. How are you going to stop the victorious Allied Powers from just picking up where they left off and steamrolling a defeated Germany and Austria?

As for specific feedback…

On your planes (fighters, tac bombers, etc…) will you have early war and late war variants? The P-51 was a great fighter but wasn’t available in 1941. The P-40 was available at the time (and could hold its own when flown well) but was outdated by 1944. Since you could have war break out in 1935 or so, I would consider that.

As for the case of the French Strategic Bomber, I’ve always preferred the Farman F.220 and its descendants. It was a unique design and a four-engine bomber used in the strategic role in the early months of the war. HBG will sell you a 3D print of the F.222 model if you like:
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/GTB2NBVVR/farman-f-222-220-1-700-scale-qty-1-french

My 2 IPCs,

-Midnight_Reaper

• @midnight_reaper

Thanks for the feedback.

I have been trying to figure out if I want to start in 1919 and have historically accurate units based on research and the year. That was the initial goal, but the amount of pieces required would be insane. I couldn’t afford it, and probably not many others too. So my second thought was to make the 1919 start diplomatic and economic only. Players could change the political landscape and decide how they want to spend their country’s incomes into different philosophies of military, domestic, and international policy. (Spend 50% on ships, 30% on trade etc ) Also historical events would be inserted to make it interesting ( stock market crash)

I totally agree with the French bomber and I’ll probably make that change

• @midnight_reaper

Also I don’t need to stop the allies from steamrolling a defeated Germany. They would have no reason to start a war with someone who they just beat. It would look horrible to the people and the governments would quickly lose popular and economic support. It’s not until Germany poses itself as a threat to the security of these countries would the allies be in the position to declare war, even if they could find the funds and support for it. This means that war probably wouldn’t start until the axis initiate it.

• Progress on the new map! One of a few maps I am going to have to make.image.jpg

• Anyone know how to make the cities go on top of the land but under the sea?image.jpg

• @ryandascienti I recommend to work with layers, not only for this special purpose.

• Almost done with the map!

• @ryandascienti The only way its gonna work is you need to DRAW the continents in such a way so some are larger to fit the pieces. Also, Point to Point map system is ugly and cheesy. It is used primarily by lazy people who just pull up one of GMT’s maps and draw circles and you just move between them. This is a fallacy of the highest odor! Only GMT and really old titles by Omega games pull that stunt.

• The map is pretty much done. I’ll link a pdf image today. Still missing some minor alterations.

Does anyone know how to do graphic design? I need someone to design the artwork/layout of my rulebook I am currently writing. Currently I just have it on a google doc, which I can share with whomever willing to help!

I have listed a full list of new additions to the game rules that I hope everyone finds interesting: Thoughts?

Bombing + Recon Phase
    Trading Phase
    Russian Guard Infantry
    Waffen SS separate from the Heer (Army)
    Emergency Red Army Conscription
    Japanese Banzi Attack
    American Elite Marines
    British Commandos
    German Occupation of Italy
    Joint Allied Amphibious Assult
    Physical Convoys
    Convoy rule overhaul
    Supplies and provisions
    aircraft factory
    arms factory
    munitions factory
    enter able cities
    shipyards, ports, docks, airbases
    organization of army into divisions and regiment sized units
    militia rule overhaul
    oil refinery
    mine warfare
    fortification rule overhaul
    landmines?
    replacement of all G40 combat rules with custom tactical combat game play
    Blitzkreg overhaul
    strategic bombing overhaul
    economic variance/risk implementation
    surprise attacks
    diplomatic options
    spy networks
    commanders?
    naval unit research
    nuclear option

• @ryandascienti Ping me when you send the map, thanks.

• @ryandascienti said in Possible New A&A Game:

The map is pretty much done. I’ll link a pdf image today. Still missing some minor alterations.

Does anyone know how to do graphic design? I need someone to design the artwork/layout of my rulebook I am currently writing. Currently I just have it on a google doc, which I can share with whomever willing to help!

I have listed a full list of new additions to the game rules that I hope everyone finds interesting: Thoughts?

Bombing + Recon Phase
    Trading Phase
    Russian Guard Infantry
    Waffen SS separate from the Heer (Army)
    Emergency Red Army Conscription
    Japanese Banzi Attack
    American Elite Marines
    British Commandos
    German Occupation of Italy
    Joint Allied Amphibious Assult
    Physical Convoys
    Convoy rule overhaul
    Supplies and provisions
    aircraft factory
    arms factory
    munitions factory
    enter able cities
    shipyards, ports, docks, airbases
    organization of army into divisions and regiment sized units
    militia rule overhaul
    oil refinery
    mine warfare
    fortification rule overhaul
    landmines?
    replacement of all G40 combat rules with custom tactical combat game play
    Blitzkreg overhaul
    strategic bombing overhaul
    economic variance/risk implementation
    surprise attacks
    diplomatic options
    spy networks
    commanders?
    naval unit research
    nuclear option

Have to see the rules for these before any comments

• @All-Encompassing-Goose
    Alright everyone here is the first version of the map. Still has a bit of work to be done and touch ups here and there. What does everyone think so far? Made this in inkscape. I’m most concerned with spelling, historical accuracy of names, and locations of bases/cities since I really just guessed for most. Definitely open to suggestion and criticism!

• This post is deleted!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m