The Map Modification Question

• a.) your right (just checked the box embarassed) I got confused by this pic file…I downloaded two pic file copies of the revised map, one is higher-res but isn’t accurate, one is accurate but low-res

b.) ok

c.) i) entrance to black sea should not be a big gap like in OOB
        ii) should have pretty red lines like those at panama and suez, at bosporus

1.) ok

2.) only Wake don’t get 1 IPC? so Caroline gets 1 IPC? I posted numbers in the other thread and both wake and caroline are tiny, only Solomon has a decent size

3.) no strong feeling actually…1 IPC each?

4.) terrain: no plans to add terrain for now right? but when you do you may consider sea terrain as well

5.) island size: we don’t address inter-continent proportions for practical reasons, but intra-continent proportions are correct for all areas except pacific
    since those island will be small and we don’t be able to put units onto it anyway…I would love correct proportions among the pacific islands (okinawa, wake, caroline, hawaiian, solomon midway)

6.) is the map hand (pencil/mouse) drew or made with some special software doing edge extraction on real maps?

• 1.) ok

2.) only Wake don’t get 1 IPC? so Caroline gets 1 IPC? I posted numbers in the other thread and both wake and caroline are tiny, only Solomon has a decent size
    ++++  Wake had no strategic value in the war. It wasnt fought over like Saipan or Tarawa…Caroline was a major jap naval base.

3.) no strong feeling actually…1 IPC each?
    ++++ perhaps some will get more. remember Japan is benifiting from this and they cant have too much

4.) terrain: no plans to add terrain for now right? but when you do you may consider sea terrain as well
    +++++ no its to radical an idea for revised. too few territories

5.) island size: we don’t address inter-continent proportions for practical reasons, but intra-continent proportions are correct for all areas except pacific
    since those island will be small and we don’t be able to put units onto it anyway…I would love correct proportions among the pacific islands (okinawa, wake, caroline, hawaiian, solomon midway)
    ++++ they all stay the same except a few victory cities will be added as per the list

6.) is the map hand (pencil/mouse) drew or made with some special software doing edge extraction on real maps?
    ++++ Illustrator CS2… the best their is

• 2.) yeah ok Caroline is Jap base, Wake is US base, just saying they are so small it should only be a base not income

Wake Island 6.5km^2
    Caroline Island 3.76km^2
    Solomon Islands 28,450km^2
    Midway ~5km^2

3.) oh no, you got confused, I am talking about Australia, 1 IPC Western Australia, 1 IPC Eastern Australia

4.) no I am not talking about any changes, just presentation of terrain/mountains on the map
    could help show wait you can’t blitz thru Afghan
    but good to leave it without too, “cleaner” look

5.) like you map new island shapes and then resized them to keep them same size as in revised map?

6.) oh, then how come turkey/black sea area looks like that :-D
    becuase of the the source map?

• 2.) yeah ok Caroline is Jap base, Wake is US base, just saying they are so small it should only be a base not income

Wake Island 6.5km^2
    +++ this is only one island
    Caroline Island 3.76km^2
    +++++ Caroline islands are basically about 25 islands not only one
    Solomon Islands 28,450km^2
    +++ many islands very important perhaps 2 ipc value
    Midway ~5km^2
    +++ very important as well

3.) oh no, you got confused, I am talking about Australia, 1 IPC Western Australia, 1 IPC Eastern Australia
    +++ ok done

4.) no I am not talking about any changes, just presentation of terrain/mountains on the map
    could help show wait you can’t blitz thru Afghan
    but good to leave it without too, “cleaner” look
    +++ oh that can be done but it wont look “clean” i can make some border which makes it clear which territories have that “movement restrictions” Or i can add text.

5.) like you map new island shapes and then resized them to keep them same size as in revised map?
    +++ no changes in this only add values the shapes need to look the same.

6.) oh, then how come turkey/black sea area looks like that grin
    becuase of the the source map?

+++ what is “Grin” ?

• 2.) yeah the figures for Wake and Caroline is probably only the main island, which is already very small
    the assosicated islands are even smaller…

its of strategic importance, but I don’t think we should model that with IPC
    those islands do not produce crap at, right?

Okinawa is 1 IPC and bloody 2,271.30 km^2 !

the AARHE rules already model the islands’ strategic importance
    for example, US can’t send FTR to Wake or Midway without Long Range Aircraft tech
    they have to resort to NAV for the Pacific war
    because they can be transported by carriers
    but they have even shorter range
    I think there should be island hopping now

4.) yeah we could put in terrain text like you said, again “clean” would be good
    probably just one word

Sahara, Saudi Arabia: desert
    Greenland, Alaska, Soviet Far East: Snowy
    Southern Europe, Turkey, Mongolia, Persia, Afghanistan: Mountainous
    Himalayas: Extreme

+++ no changes in this only add values the shapes need to look the same.

oh we are getting confused, you keep saying “no changes”
    I mean to ask is this what you did? you obtained new island shapes with Illustrator and then resized to so its similar to the revised board?

anyway, the proportions are ok
    only thing is: I prefer the size of Wake Island to be reduced to size of Midway Island
    just details hehe

6.) I don’t even know lol, typo probably
    basically, we could shape Turkey like in this map?
    http://www.travel-images.com/az-turkey-map.jpg
    because we had to add the canal symbol and making it clear you can now move from Turkey to Balkans

• oh we are getting confused, you keep saying “no changes”
    I mean to ask is this what you did? you obtained new island shapes with Illustrator and then resized to so its similar to the revised board?

++++ huh? no i traced them from the base map. Nothing is changed on any map of this project except adding VC, some IPC, and a color for italy, along with a few new territories …all of which are for the phase three map.

anyway, the proportions are ok
    only thing is: I prefer the size of Wake Island to be reduced to size of Midway Island
    just details hehe

6.) I don’t even know lol, typo probably
    basically, we could shape Turkey like in this map?
    http://www.travel-images.com/az-turkey-map.jpg
    because we had to add the canal symbol and making it clear you can now move from Turkey to Balkans

++++++ I am not sure why Turkey has to be changed. I can easily add a “canal” mark which is clear. If i change one thing i must change all. otherwise people will say " why did you “fix” turkey and not the rest"? Others will say why make a map change at all. If i redo the map entirely people will not see any shread of revised axis and allies  left. remember the original map is meant to be played with this varient. I want to keep the choices low so its not like its not too unfamiliar.

If you want me to redo Turkey just for you i can but that will be your print.

• wait I am getting confused
    the map you sent me has modified (more realistic) continent lines

is this the phase 3 map in the making?
    or are you saying phase 3 map with italy won’t have any continent line upgrades?

the map you sent me did have “historical edition” on it written in red though

• wait I am getting confused
    the map you sent me has modified (more realistic) continent lines

++++ The map you have is for phase 1-2

is this the phase 3 map in the making?
    or are you saying phase 3 map with italy won’t have any continent line upgrades?

++++ the phase 3 map is a different undertaking alltogether. I have it a nobody has seen it yet.

the map you sent me did have “historical edition” on it written in red though
    ++++ yes right it will have the full title redone better.

• so are you saying the phase1/2 map will have those continent line updates
    but phase 3 might not?

• Phase 1-2 map is what you got. except i need to add additonal victory cities

Phase 3 map is with every map change. its the only version that will feature italy, plus changes in IPC values and additional territories.

• I am still confused
    let me try to ask differently

how come many continent lines have improved in realism (eg. Gilbratar, Japan, Pacific Islands) but you don’t want to change Turkey so that it shows clearer you can now move between Turkey and Balkans?

what was the base map you used?

Thrace will get in the way guys… It will be a violation of Neutrality…

GG

• you are now allowed to attack neutral territories
    you may also get them to join your side thru diplomatic dices
    some neutrals have armies (most apparently Spain, Turkey, Sweden)

check out the latest draft under “phase 8: diplomacy”
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=7188.0

So is this “attacking”? I think this would give them a enemy “diplomatic chit”…

GG

• how come many continent lines have improved in realism (eg. Gilbratar, Japan, Pacific Islands) but you don’t want to change Turkey so that it shows clearer you can now move between Turkey and Balkans?

what was the base map you used?

+++ i still used the base map (original) but tracing was done with some minor considerations. The opening is large to show its easy to move into the balkans w/o looking too weird… (like a flood occured)

• @Guerrilla:

So is this “attacking”? I think this would give them a enemy “diplomatic chit”…

well the neutral isn’t on your team and you move troops there you attack it
    it joins the enemy immediately

what do you mean “diplomactic chit”?

another words, it decreases from your side one level…

GG

• when a neutral is attacked by you  it immediatly becomes a full bar ally of the nearest enemy player. They have full use of it: economics, military

• @Imperious:

+++ i still used the base map (original) but tracing was done with some minor considerations. The opening is large to show its easy to move into the balkans w/o looking too weird… (like a flood occured)

oh, like 2nd edition map or something? cos it looks different to revised
    opening is large to show its easy to move into balkans? move into Balkans from where?

• hows the “no Italy map” coming along?
    added VC in yet?

have you adjusted the Turkey area so its easily seen you can move from Balkans in Turkey?
    and add the canal “double line” and position it so its clear you need control of Turkey to go into Black Sea…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m