• In 12.8 (a) it specifies that ‘All islands that are not part of the Home Country of a Major Power’ are Special Fortification Zones. I’m curious how this would apply to islands that have more than one territory such as Borneo/Sarawak or Dutch New Guinea/New Guinea.

Would a fort or coastal art in one of the territories protect the whole zone? I’m inclined to think they would cover all borders on their half of the island but am not sure. Or do they not fit the definition of islands as they pertain to special fort. zones?

Any help or info would be appreciated, thanks.

• This rule must be understood as an exception to Rules 12.7 (Fortifications) and 12.9 (Coastal artillery).

Usually, you have to decide which land/sea zone these emplacements will protect. Rule 12.8 says that some areas are so small that all borders are protected.

I have always understood 12.8 (a) to be referring to a named territory, that can be shown either as a single island (Crete) or a group of islands (Philippines, Midway, Solomon Islands).

While the wording is a bit vague, I never undestrood this to include the larger islands that are composed of multiple named territories. They are not “small areas” of the map if they encompass more than one territory.

• @noneshallpass
    @JbuckBuddy
    This isn’t exactly made clear, but I would go with the old A&A rule of, “if it has a land border, it isn’t and island.” Otherwise, what is an island. Is the UK? Is Australia? It goes on and on.

• '20 '16

@trig said in Special Fortification Zones:

@noneshallpass
    @JbuckBuddy
    This isn’t exactly made clear, but I would go with the old A&A rule of, “if it has a land border, it isn’t and island.” Otherwise, what is an island. Is the UK? Is Australia? It goes on and on.

Australia is a continent, not an island. The UK and Japan are listed as island nations, and I would play them as exceptions to the special fortification zones, but I don’t see that in the rules. The New Guineas, Borneo, Sarawak, Ireland, etc., would qualify as islands, and special fortification zones, in my opinion.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m