• 2007 AAR League

if you were to land the fighter in the mainland. I would have to think China would be the best spot as I find Japan can have a bad round of dice and barely win or lose that battle.

your saying a CV + DD will die without taken a hit? ( I love the idea of forcing the Japaneese to send in stuff to kill that. you got to think it takes 1 BB + some fighters or a fighter/bomb combo to kill it.

reason is, a CV and DD both defend on a 3… (that BB is only taking 1 hit…) that means a plane is dying. So on the contrary to what you said. I think the CV + DD has a good chance of taking a fighter out.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

You can consolidate the British Fleet and then force Japan to send it’s precious BB and CV after it.  You should get one of those capitals at least before they sink you, even if you don’t keep the fighter with it.

Meanwhile, the US fleet at Pearl might be sunk, but Japan will be sending a lot less navy then what it could and that’s easy to counter attack.  Just use the BB, DD and USAF (land in Hawaii) and you should retake that.  Now Japan hardly has a “vast” superiourity, but rather a few scattered boats.

• @NoMercy:

if you were to land the fighter in the mainland. I would have to think China would be the best spot as I find Japan can have a bad round of dice and barely win or lose that battle.

your saying a CV + DD will die without taken a hit? ( I love the idea of forcing the Japaneese to send in stuff to kill that. you got to think it takes 1 BB + some fighters or a fighter/bomb combo to kill it.

reason is, a CV and DD both defend on a 3… (that BB is only taking 1 hit…) that means a plane is dying. So on the contrary to what you said. I think the CV + DD has a good chance of taking a fighter out.

CV + DD = 6 = ONE hit on average. Therefore, on average, a BB+CV (DEI) + Fighter + Bomber will on average, kill it, in 1 round, without any japan losses.

Bury (6inf +fighter) is better than China, IMHO.

Squirecam

I always give up Bury and SFE.  Shouldn’t I be?

Always felt the fighter served better on the German front.  You can always put 2 tanks in Russia and fire them off to Yak to defend, and 6 def from 2 units is better then 4 def from 1 unit.  IMHO.  Same cost.  Only tanks can also attack if needed.

• @Jennifer:

I always give up Bury and SFE.  Shouldn’t I be?

Always felt the fighter served better on the German front.  You can always put 2 tanks in Russia and fire them off to Yak to defend, and 6 def from 2 units is better then 4 def from 1 unit.  IMHO.  Same cost.  Only tanks can also attack if needed.

If you keep Bury, thats +1 USSR 1, plus +1 from USSR 2 and +3 from Manchuria which you will walk into USSR 2, +1 from Bury round 3, when Japan has to take back Manchuria and potentially keep swapping FIC, or be in danger of losing Kwang.

It means more $$ for USSR to fight off the Germans, USSR can have 32+ on round 2-3 depending on circumstances (24 + 3 ukr +2 WR + 3 manch)

Squirecam

• Bury is a lost cause.  Japan takes it on J2, with or without 6 INF and a FIG there.  And they take minimal to no losses eitehr way (BB shots, FIGs, BOMs, 3 TRN’s of units, plus troops from Manch).

A better plan is for Russia to engage in strategic retreat from the 1 IPC territories and stage for counter-attacks from Novo. Drom that position they can stall the Japan offesnive along both the northern and central ciorridors for several rounds at a cost of 1-2 ARM from Moscow and their starting Eastern INF.  That leaves Russia still net positive income (due to West Russia and trading Ukraine) and able to focuse more than 90% of their IPC’s on Germany for 5 turns or so.

Add a US IC in Sinkiang, and Japan can be held at bay for 10 turns or more with almost no cost in purchased units by Russia.

• The 6 Russians and Brit fighter have moved by J2.

It’s a good move- saves a destroyer and keeps Japan from going banzai on those 6 infantry (some people do, after all).

However, if 2 German units are holding Egypt, I feel the best move with the fighter is to take Egypt back along with 3 infantry and slow Germany’s advances in Africa to a crawl.

To me the final use is coupling with the sub to take out the Japanese sub, then landing on the US carrier at Pearl. No jap sub + extra fighter means some risk for the Japanese fleet-  too much attrition and it makes a US counter more feasible.

I really dislike the idea of parking the British fighter in China. Talk about no chance of survival.

I don’t like the idea of having valuable russian infantry on the beach.  They’re lazy.  Half the time they don’t load their weapons and the other half the time they arn’t given bullets to load them with.

I’d rather give up 2 IPCs in land then 18 IPCs for infantry AND 1 IPC in land.  Sure, you’ll hold Bury 1 more round if you stockpile it, but you’ll loose it on J2.

• @88:

The 6 Russians and Brit fighter have moved by J2.

It’s a good move- saves a destroyer and keeps Japan from going banzai on those 6 infantry (some people do, after all).

right. it retreates, but after doing its job and costing japan time/ipc

Squirecam

• The response for that Shadow is for Japan to not sweat. Calm, rational, deliberate action.

You don’t have to counter every single move as Japan. You don’t have to, for example, worry about killing the destroyer off Kwangtung. What threat does it really pose if your navies are defendable? Zero. Kill Pearl and China, bring your E Indies fleet to clean out the carrier and transport, and an inf/ arm to F Indo- most likely the Brits lost 2 infantry taking it (at least). Bring 5 infantry and 2 fighters to China. Sure it’ll cost more than normal but you’ll win. Send an extra fighter to wherever the British fighter landed (either China or off French Indo). Allow Russia to step into Manchuria. With a 3 transport (placed in SZ 61)/ 2 infantry build you’ll crush all 6 if they brought them. If less it’ll be even easier. Hey, they’re dead Russians, which is good. Do the normal Pearl strike. Expand as usual on J2 and beyond.

Yes these moves slow down Japan, but they make Germany’s life easier. With the moves you described German armor is racing south in Africa, and once Japan has taken out the Brits in the pacific theater on J1, India is ripe for the plucking for either Japan or Germany (G3 med fleet escape). Personally I’d rather conserve the British carrier, transport, and fighter. On UK4 they lock down SZ12 while the combined fleets are hemming in Germany in the north.

The first time someone sees an aggressive Britain in the pacific it might freak them out, and they might do something silly, but if you’ve been around the block a few times…

I’m not saying by any stretch of the imagination that these are bad moves Mr. Hawk. I’m pointing out how I would counter them and the game-wide ramifications, in my opinion.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m