Danish straits and "warships" meaning

• Hey!

I have a question about the danish straits. Is it possible to pass the danish straits with an english submarine, when the danemark is still neutral?

The rule for the danish straits are in the table 1-1 on page 10: “warships cannot move through the danish straits”.

The main problem is with the word “warships”, on the glossary, page 6: “warship: any surface ship that has an Attack value”.

But on the ANZAC reference sheet, in the wartime bonus income section “there are no enemy surface warships”.
    Why is it need to specify a “surface warship” if the definition of a warship is already only the “surface ship that has an attack value”.
    The same interrogation is present in the blockade rule 8.11 on page 37: “if you have three or more surface warships”.

This situation with the using of the expression “surface warships” is kind of disturbing and present on a few more place in the rule book. So, we also maybe need a clarification about the word “warship”?

• @didier_de_dax In this case, I believe it it doesn’t matter
    “Submarines may move through closed straits but not closed canals.”
    So that UK sub can go through.

As for the “surface warship” I believe that is just an emphasis. It is just redundant.

• @trig Yep I see this thing about the possibility that submarines can passed by closed straits.

But if the expression warships is not only concerning surface warships like I pointed out with the examples in the rule book of the expression “surface warship”.
    Maybe, the english sub can’t cross the straits while denmark is neutral.

So, in that situation the submarines can only cross gibraltar strait even if he is closed.

• @didier_de_dax Warships is defined as just “surface ships with an attack value.” That does not ever include subs. Surface warships is just bad wording, being redundant.

• @trig Ok I see!

Sorry for the double post, you already explain it in your first reply.

• @didier_de_dax No problem!

• Beating the proverbial dead horse here, but in the Glossary (Rule 0.9) :

Warship: Any surface ship that has an attack value (this would exclude naval transports and all types of aircraft carriers)

Surface ship: Any naval vessel that is not a submarine.

I agree with @Didier_de_Dax that « Surface Warship » is redundant since it’s already part of the Warship definition.

The distinction is useful for Aircraft Carriers, that are Surface Ships, but not Warships.

We could always suggest a correction to “Surface warships that go in the water (except for the bit that is above-water) but that you cannot land planes on” !

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m