• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

I wonder if it might be best to ignore certain vacant Russsian TTys so you don’t have to deal with those pesky Partisans. Thinking mostly Far East with JPN.

It would leave potential landing spots for American Air. Obviously best to just Garrison as you go, but JPN usually seems strapped for boots on the ground and need their guys at the Front as soon as possible.

Anyway, just a thought.

It’s early 1948 in the test game. Should be done before the new decade hits lol

• @barnee

I think for Germany, all territories worth IPCs should be captured. Still, leaving Bessarabia will let Soviet paratroopers land there, and German reinforcements should unconsciously garrison territory whilst on their way to the front. What you say about Japan can be true though.

• @barnee

If Axis forces do not occupy their gains in USSR, the Partisans will most likely “pop up” in those territories.

So, for the most part, we always see Axis forces “left behind” in captured Soviet territories.

Strategic Rail Movement is also hampered by Partisans - and this can prove to be crucial during reinforcement of Frontline Units.

• @the-captain Does anyone ever buy a German CV early, with the Navy fighters ?

i know some early oob games some would buy a CV

• @barnee

Yes, we mostly see it when the German player goes with the Battle of the Atlantic strategy.

Also, the German Heavy Battleship is bought during this strategy.

Combined with mass production of German U-Boats, they are deadly - and the Allies have difficulties dealing with the Kriegsmarine when this occurs.

How does N Africa normally play out ?
    Do people defend/conquer French N Africa ? Judging by 43 setup they do.
    I usually don’t, as it gives the Allies a chance to take French TTys and if France takes Italian ones, then Allies can’t.

• @barnee

Usually, Italy and Germany will fight hard and intense in North Africa - combined with an effort in clearing the Mediterranian Ocean from enemy surface ships.

The goal is to achieve the maximum Italian Bonus Income (15 IPC) for as long as possible.

When (if) this starts to go wrong, the next step would be to prepare for a German Take Over of Italy.

Do you guys buy AA guns much ? I’ve always been a fan myself. Basically I like all my concentrations and even some small groups as well, to have one. Anywhere they can be air attacked almost.

A little spendy at 5 but they can hit up to 3 and get the D1. I have em at 4 D1 in House Rules. Only can hit 2 but they can A0 into empty TTys so they can move on Trprts during the attack. That was Black Elks idea.

1 Inf 1 AAgun is a nice combo on Pacific Islands. Anyway, not suggesting a change, just sharing what we did :)

Germany, USSR and JPN , to challenge the Flying Tiger, are where I usually go. Actually, it’s so situational, I just go when I can. There’s so many units to buy, especially Germany, I usually go lighter than I’d like.

Hope test games are going Good :+1:

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

@barnee

Hi barnee,

I have played more than 4.000 games of Axis & Allies (face-to-face) - and I can recall that only once have I seen a player who bought an Anti Aicraft Gun unit.

I can even remember when it was: Saturday, June 25th, 1994.

The game was Axis & Allies (Classic). Keld Rasmussen was playing United Kingdom - and Søren Thomsen was playing Germany (I’ve just checked our 1994 Combat Record Schedule).

United Kingdom attacks Western Europe with 1 Tank unit, 7 Infantry units, 5 Fighter units & 1 Bomber unit.

Germany rolls with the Anti Aircraft Gun unit: 6 dice - all at “1”.

We had never seen this before… and I have only seen it once ever since…

So, inspired by this event, Germany purchases 1 Anti Aircraft Gun unit in the next turn…

• @the-captain :joy: :joy: :joy:

sweet !

• @the-captain

4000 games! That is incredible! And you even record them? I swear more than ever that working on Axis And Allies is your job!

• 2024 2023 '22

@barnee

I always hated AAA in the normal form-I would much rather have 5 infantry than 3 AAA. The fact AAA can’t do anything on their own or attack makes things even worse. I usually use my AAA as cannon fodder in defensive positions, particularly the Eastwall, where I wait for the Soviet Union to declare war on me, attack the border territories, and once their offensive resources are exhausted, I counterattack, destroying almost every unit that was built up to that point.

• @the-captain When is the release of the UK strategy guide?

• @victoryfirst

It’s been so long I almost forgot about it! But I’m still excited for this release.

• @victoryfirst

It should be ready by next week.

• Which balance/gameplay obstacles did you encounter while you guys were designing the game? Was it difficult? I know it’s very hard to create a balanced game. Most Axis and Allies games depend on the battle for Moscow but you seemed to have solved that problem. With Russia being a lot stronger the only way for the Axis powers to win is to grind and grab as much money as possible, and slowly kill the Russians in a war of attrition. What I do find strange (but there is probably a good gameplay reason for it), is that Japan is still very strong. Wasn’t it possible to make Japan weaker (like they were in real life) but still have a balanced game?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

@victoryfirst

The Axis & Allies House Rules Expansion series have been under way for more than 25 years - the origins date back from 1993, inspired by Gamers Paradise.

So, yes - it was difficult - and hard. But is was also fun & challenging, which kept us motivated.

Concerning the Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion series as we know them today, they are all very well balanced.
    Even after hundreds of games, we’ve never experienced any unbalanced situations.

It is all up to each player - skills and ability are crucial factors in who wins and who loses.

The German & Italian offensive on the Eastern Front - with the goal of capturing Moscow - is still popular.

If Germany & Italy attack the Soviet Union in Late 1940 - goes strait towards Moscow - and mass produces units for the Eastern Front, there is a slight chance that Moscow will suffer extremely heavy casualties.

And if United Kingdom & Soviet Union don’t coordinate their effort in the defense of Moscow (including Lend-Lease), the Soviet Capital might even fall.

But this Axis strategy leaves Western Europe open for an early Allied (UK) landing - which might cause disastrous results for Germany.

Yesterday we experienced this exact Axis Strategy. One of these days I’ll post the Game Report with pictures - and you’ll see the result.

• @victoryfirst

Concerning Japan, it all depends on the US and UK strategy.

If UK sends units from Africa by Rail Movement to India, the United Kingdom can have at least 8 units in each round in India - fighting their way into China & Burma.

Combined with an increased US effort in the Pacific - backed up by small scale amphibious landings from ANZAC units, Japan will be very busy.

• 2024 2023 '22

@the-captain

Hopefully Japan can still hold out.

Anyways, I want you to release your game report, because I like reading them, but I can’t stand reading another Axis loss (which seems like it was). Please tell me Japan saved the game.

• @barnee

Due to massive Global 1943 Game PLay Testing with the new Combat Engineer unit and Desert Army formation, the United Kingdom Strategy Guide is not ready until next year.

Hopefully we’ll have it ready in January.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m