• @superbattleshipyamato123 ahh…that’s right. Luftwaffe is already building them. I’m sending Rommel to N Africa one way or another lol

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

Lot going on. These Armies and Army Groups taking the most time so far. : )

Totally spaced the 10 bucks for USSR when Germany attacks. Might try and make a notification as a reminder as you gotta edit it in.

Anyway, can I spend my 10 bucks on a Tank General and then place where he could form an Army Group ?

So Belarus wasn’t attacked by the Germans when they attacked. I buy a Tank General and put him in Belarus. Russia then forms an Army Group at their turn start ?

And I can pull one of the tanks out of the commiesar group to use with the Tank Army ?

I got over 10 extra dudes. I’ll just swap out the Commisar Corps Tank with another unit

Screenshot from 2021-09-16 02-49-21.png

oh nvm I confused myself. Thought I had 5 Tanks lol. One of the drawbacks to triplea. Stuff overlaps. There are some features around it though

@barnee actually confused myself lol. So I already have 1 Commisar Corps active with a Tank as it’s 2 hitter, dice wise, hits at 3, the tank. I buy another Commisar when Germany attacks and place in Belarus which wasn’t attacked along with a Tank, I can then make a Army Group start of my turn ?

I guess the Tank don’t matter as only one can be active but, yea that’s what I’m asking :)

Ok one more time. :) Germany attacks first time. Russia gets immediate 10 bucks after German combat move and they can save or place in any Russian TTy that Germany didn’t attack

In Belarus, which Germany didn’t attack, the Russians have a Commisar corps with a Tank that the Commisar has activated to two rolls.

Question :)

Can I put another Commisar and Tank in Belarus and create an Army Group start of Russia’s turn ? Only 1 Commie Corps would be active obviously

Edit
    Here I added the Commisar, Tank and Army Group
    Screenshot from 2021-09-16 03-50-00.png
    Think I’m gonna Hammer Baltics and take my chances lol

• @barnee

Here is how it goes:

When Germany attacks, the Soviets can only place new units for the 10 IPC they get from the bank.

The Soviets cannot move any units - or form a Soviet Army Corps or an Army Group at this moment - since both these Battle Formations must be organized on a previous turn (see pages 44 & 45 in the rulebook).

Good questions, by the way. They will be included in the next update of the Rules Clarification:relaxed:

• @the-captain yea I guess it doesn’t really matter since belarus didn’t get attacked. Russia goes next and then would be able to form the Army Group at the start of their turn

• @the-captain

Got a little question:

As there are two armies in an army group, does only one of the armies in the army group get the advantage (even though they are together in the army group)? Thank you!

• @superbattleshipyamato123

An Army Group consists of (at least) two Armies - plus 10 landbased combat units (some of these 10 landbased combat units could also be units from a third Army, since these units would count towards the total of 10 landbased combat units).

An Army Group gets a bonus dice roll with 2 dice at “4” during an attack - and “5” during defense - during each round of combat for as long as the Army Group is intact.

The 2-dice bonus rolls represent the cohesion of the units fighting together within the Army Group.

Within this Army Group, 1 of the Armies also have extra bonus dice rolls - which represents the cohesion of units within that Army.

Remember:
    When multiple Armies from the same side or Nation occupy the same territory, only 1 Army can obtaion its ability to fight as an Army - and get the bonus dice rolls.

The units within other Armies in this territory - whether or not these Armies are part of an Army Group - must fight at their individual unit strength.

• 2024 2023 '22

@the-captain

Got it! Thank you for responding! I also have a question about strategy-it is my understanding that all the armies move two spaces (or at least the “leaders”), so when forming army groups, do you fill the ranks with mechanised infantry? Or are normal infantry, elite infantry, and artillery enough? What do you do? Thank you!

Also, I love the Japanese strategy one!

The only Armies that could include units with a movement of only 1 space, would be the Soviet Army Corps - since the Soviets can combine any kind of land based combat units within their Army Corps.

In a German Waffen-SS Army, all Waffen-SS units can move 2 spaces.

In a Panzer Army (or Tank Army) all units can move 2 spaces.

Note:
    Concerning a Blitz move, only a Panzer Army/Tank Army can do so, since all units in this type of Army are able to make a Blitz move on their own.

Let’s take this scenario to the next step:
    Only an Army Group that consists of 2 Panzer Amies/Tank Armies - and 10 Panzer/Tank units - would be able to make a Blitz move as an Army Group (this scenario is most likely quite rare…).

So, I would narrow it down to the Soviet Army Corps:
    From game start - Early 1940 - the Soviets should create their Soviet Army Corps - each with 1 Commissar unit and 3 Tank units.

Later, as the Soviet Tank Armies require multiple Tank units, it might be a good idea - during Non-Combat Movement - to move the Tank units from the Soviet Army Corps to the Tank Armies.

The Soviet Army Corps could then include:
    1 Commissar, plus 3 Soviet Guard Infantry units. This would give the Soviet Army Corps a defense capacity equal to that of the Tank units within the Soviet Army Corps.

• @the-captain

I just feel a Soviet Commisar’s move of 2 is wasted by using normal infantry, and as I said, for the remaining ten land units in an army group, should they all move at two (to fit with Waffen-SS armies and tank armies, so those armies’ movement value of 2 won’t be wasted)? Thank you!

• @the-captain said in Strategy Guide Global 1940:

(some of these 10 landbased combat units could also be units from a third Army, since these units would count towards the total of 10 landbased combat units).

so the 2 armies that form the Army Group can use some of the dudes in the third Army to form it since the third Army really wouldn’t be formed, as only 1 Army gets the bonus even in the Army Group.

Or does the Army still form but just isn’t active with it’s 2 bonus dice ? It can then use some of the dudes they sent to form the Army Group with the other two Armies to either reinforce the Army Group if it lost an Army or go on independently as it’s own Army provided the dudes they supplied to the Army Group to help form it didn’t get slayed ?

• @barnee
    Yes, the third Army in the same terrirtory is formed - but is not active, since only 1 Army can be active in the same territory.

And yes - the units inside this third Army counts towards the total of 10 landbased combat units that is needed to form an Army Group.

Remember:
    Multiple Armies and Army Groups can be formed and share the same territory.

Example:
    Two German Army Groups share the same territory: Western Germany. During a German attack, 1 Army Group attacks US forces in France - and 1 Army Group attacks British forces in Holland/Belgium.

Both Army Groups attack as Army Groups - and each Army Group get the 2-dice bonus rolls at “4” - since they no longer share the same territory.

• @the-captain sweet I’d prefer an example of them attacking the Russians, but hey, it’s an international game.

Getting ready to start J3 :)

• @barnee

Another example:

The German Army Group North occupy Novgorod. Army Group North consists of 1st Panzer Army and 3rd Waffen-SS Army - plus 10 Panzer units.

During a German attack, the German player decides to split Army Group North:

1st Panzer Army - plus 5 Panzer units - attack Soviet controlled Belarus.

3rd Waffen-SS Army - plus 5 Panzer units - attack Soviet controlled Archangel.

1st Panzer Army and 3rd Waffen-SS Army both get their Army Bonus Dice Rolls, since these two Armies no longer share the same territory.

• @the-captain Awesome ! I didn’t know they’d have enough gas to do that :)

That’s a good tactical move though. Late here and I got a buzz so

ROCK ON

Rock On !!!.png

It would make sense to have the Armies and Army Groups as mobile as possible - the most optimal would therefore be that all units inside these Battle Formations have a Movement Capacity at 2.

During small scale attacks - when there is no need for a 2 space movement - a Soviet Army Corps could include a combination of Soviet Guard Infantry and Artillery.

The Artillery unit could then support a Soviet Guard Infantry unit - this Guard Infantry unit would then attack at “3” - with a 2 dice advantage.

• @the-captain

So what do you usually do in your games? Thank you!

I spaced the Air Transports so Goring is gonna have to retreat.

Obviously he’s not telling the fuhrer that lol I wanna get Rommel in N Africa. Try next game : )

Wolfpack just got dusted by the USA Navy north of Gibralter. They still got a few though.

Gotta go all in on soviet union now : )

From a axis standpoint lol :) Screenshot from 2021-09-19 03-32-18.png

think I’ll send those u boats to italy. Doubt they get a warm welcome lol

• @barnee

How are things going in the Pacific map? Thank you!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m