• @Krieghund rules clarification question:

In the original Axis and Allies: Europe ('99), the submarines ability to submerge is not negated by a destroyer. Only the first strike is negated by a destroyer (and of course, a DD allows aircraft to hit subs).

Since “submerge” is never negated in this version, I am assuming that at least one round of combat must be fought before a defending submarine can submerge, right? Otherwise, the piece is indestructible on defense.

Just want to make sure of this. @kwaspek104 and I are playing a game and I’m considering attacking his sub with my sub. (sub v. sub)

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Europe Rulebook: Page 10

After the attacking player has completed firing all units on the
    battle board
    , the defending player rolls one die for each defending
    unit, including any that were moved to the Casualties area. Units
    in the Casualties area still have the normal defensive value shown
    on the battle board.

Defending submarines may submerge instead of firing back.

Bold added by me… The defender does not get to submerge till AFTER the attacker has already gone.

• @The_Good_Captain yep, one round of combat must occur. this is clarified in the first page of the faq:

“Q: When attacked, can submarines submerge immediately or do they have to survive one round of fire from attackers?”

“A: They have to withstand at least one round of fire. Otherwise they would be practically indestructible.”

• @the_good_captain Looks like they’ve got it covered.

• @krieghund I’m currently working with TripleA to have Pacific and Europe tuned up to be in accordance with OOB rules. In that spirit…

@kwaspek104 and I have a slight curve-ball for you, a real one this time I think: In Pacific this aspect of the game is clear:

“Attacking Separately
    When Allied units in the same territory (or sea
    zone) wish to attack, each attacker must do so
    only with his own units and only on his own turn.
    Each player moves his units into combat on his
    turn and resolves combat. It is possible for one
    player to attack a sea zone that has both Allied
    and enemy units present. In this situation, the
    Allied units may be taken as casualties but they
    do not participate in the combat.”

There follows an example confirming the rule.

In Europe however, all that is written is this:

“Attacking separately: When Allied units in the same territory
    (or sea zone) wish to attack, each attacker must do so only with
    his own units and only on his own turn. Each player moves his
    units into combat on his turn and resolves combat.”

There is no example or anything I see in the manual to make me believe that allied units can be taken as casualties, but on page 2 of the FAQ it appears to infer the ruling of Pacific:

Q. When German subs are attacked in a zone that contains Allied naval units of more than one
    nationality, Allied losses can be taken from any of those Allied vessels. If the defending
    German subs score more hits than the attacking player has ships, must the excess hits be
    taken from the Allied ships that are standing by? For example, a sea zone is occupied by three
    German subs and two British transports. The US player brings in two destroyers and attacks
    the subs. The German player rolls his defensive dice and scores three hits! Must the Allies
    lose three ships, even though the Americans attacked with only two?
    A. A guiding principle throughout the rules is that if there is a way to apportion hits so they result in losses, the losses must be taken. In this case, the Allies must lose three ships; whether those are two destroyers and a transport or two transports and a destroyer is up to the Allied players.

Can you confirm that the case in Pacific is true for Europe as well? Thank you! (I will use this thread as a reference for the developers if needs be)

• @Krieghund additional question. Does the presence of an enemy industrial complex in a territory qualify as “occupied” in the context of blitzing with an armor.

• Official Q&A

@the_good_captain said in Submarine and submerge question:

Can you confirm that the case in Pacific is true for Europe as well? Thank you! (I will use this thread as a reference for the developers if needs be)

Yes. The “missing” Europe text corresponding to the text in Pacific is on page 26 of the Europe Rulebook.

• @the_good_captain said in Submarine and submerge question:

@Krieghund additional question. Does the presence of an enemy industrial complex in a territory qualify as “occupied” in the context of blitzing with an armor.

Yes.

• @krieghund thank you for your service ;)

• This is how Krieghund feels when you don’t say that to him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPquarz16wQ

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m