Japanese surprise attack clarification

• @insanehoshi Yes, ships don’t go on land, but technically they need to reach the sea around the landing zone in order to naval invade. In a way, they are participating so they can have the movement bonus.

You exemple is invalid I think, because warships will not be in range to reach the sz even with the bonus so it does not work. It is implied the bonus trigger only if the bonus allows the ship to effectively be in range and reach the zone.

• @panzerbaguette My thought is that if you are amphibiously assaulting, it is a two part attack in both the land and nearby sea. Since you cannot split it into two separate discrete combats, the two are intrinsically tied. Thus, ships bombarding or landing troops (or even screening) would qualify for the bonus, as they are taking part in some part of the attack.

On a side note, would you have to use the surprise attack on a screening force if there is one? You sort of lose the element of surprise when you blow up the pickets.

• @trig I share the same opinion as you.

For sure no or in very rare occasion. The surprise attack is better suited to do naval invasion or to destroy a threatening fleet.

• I thought I would include my question in this old thread.

“Japan may make one surprise attack on one land or sea zone the turn it declares war on the British Commonwealth (CW) or USA. The attack can be used against British Commonwealth, French, Dutch, and USA (not China or Soviet Union).”

Let’s say earlier in the game, the British Commonwealth declared war on Japan. On the turn Japan declares war on USA, Japan could use the surprise attack on the British Commonwealth, even though they are already at war, correct? It just bothers me a bit that they are already at war, but this is the way the rule is written, no?

• It does not really make sense to be able to use a surprise attack against the Commonwealth when you are already at War with them. The condition that you must use the attack on the turn that Japan declares War is not really met.

If you can only declare War against the USA, you should only be able to surprise attack the USA. However, the wording does suggest otherwise.

• Banned

@Noneshallpass
    The attack is made in the combat movement phase. The DOW can follow and than you declare the surprise attack. If the Brits or USA DOW on you first in that round, you would loose the ability to surprise attack, because you gave away the initiative to DOW by waiting too long.

• Banned

@delaja
    The ability would also be lost if Japan DOW’s in the USA turn. So the ability can only be used after announcing a Dow which is immediately preceded by a combat movement that is declared the surprise attack. Maybe the wording should change but this is how it should be played.

• @delaja I hear you, but that isn’t quite the issue. Let’s say it’s Japan’s turn and they instantly declare war on the USA. But say they have been at war with the Commonwealth for a couple turns already. On the turn they declare war on the USA, can they use their surprise attack to attack the Commonwealth? According to the rules as written, they can.

• Banned

@hbg-gw-enthusiast
    Mind I don’t work for HBG anymore.
    But the way we designers played it, was that once at war and DOW’ed by a different Alliance, that ability could be lost. Japan could in this case use it against USA but not against UK, because it is no surprise that they are at war. The surprise attack should look like the Pearl Harboir attack. A surprise attack on an Allied player that was not yet at war with Japan. If it was up to me I would rewrite the existing rule to explain this intention better.

Similarly if USSR DOW’s on Germany first, Germany looses the surprise attack in the form of the lightning war ability as well. Besides the turn limit before it has to happen due to the advantage in tank tactics represented by Medium tanks introduction in the game.

• @panzerbaguette I’m with Delaja , a status of war between countries prior to the current Japanese turn nullifies the Japanese surprise strike ability between those nations. That’s how our group plays it and I feel it should be played. The surprise strike is meant to be an out of nowhere we were previously at peace but not we are being attack by great surprise !

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m