SCW is there a downside to USSR full intervention?

• I keep reading the rules and I just don’t see a downside to going all in if I am playing the soviets? At 8 IPP to start minor intervention gives little help? Building a plane in Madrid takes to long. Am I missing something?

• Banned

@vondox
    Hi Vondox,
    which version of SCW are you talking about?
    Delaja

• @delaja I am playing standard expansion module not the admiral version.

• Banned

@vondox
    Thanks for the clarification. By heart I can not remember a downside in the SCW expansion. In the Admiral version USSR can send one of its own aircraft (and could subsequently lose it, which would be a downside). Also it would not be in USSR to defend in an attack or be used in offensive action if the SCW is not resolved yet. You could houserule the regular SCW to give USSR a downside to fully intervene if that is your wish.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

I think the biggest takeaway from the original expansion rule set would be that the rule states to “decrease the peacetime income increase any Allied power receives from an Axis attack on the USSR to 0”. That could potentially delay Allied entry into the war by 2 turns, maybe even 3 if your rolls are unlucky.

That’s probably the most glaring downside if you ask me.

• @chris_henry That was the only downside as well that I could see but unless Germany decides to not attack France first and decides to attack the USSR which are very unlikely I am not overtly concerned about the loss of the bonus because Britain should be at war with Germany at this point and the USA should be very close as well. With the limited amount of IPPs Russia gets at the start the only way they can really help is by sending troops. They can build a fighter in Madrid but they have 8 IPPs and the plane costs 10… I just don’t see how the Republicans can even hope to win unless the allies support them or the USSR goes full intervention.

• @vondox Well, I guess I’d say this all depends on how early on the USSR chooses the Full Intervention option then. I think if you do it too early, it’s maybe possible the Axis decide to capitalize on that and attack the USSR early/first. They certainly might not, but I think it’s something to consider.

Our group has never actually done the full intervention option. I haven’t had the chance to be the Comintern yet, but I’ve found that I would tend to not want to suck up that many USSR resources on the SCW and risk leaving my homeland too exposed to the Axis because I shipped my resources/units abroad too heavily!

To your point on Republicans winning, I certainly can’t speak for all. I’ve heard that a general consensus on the SCW is that the standard rules in the game too heavily favored the Axis. The original SCW expansion then went too far the other way and too heavily favored the Comintern. Apparently the Admiral rules comes down to a happy medium. I have not played the Admiral ruleset and so can’t speak to it, but that’s just what I’ve read here from others. Point being, a general consensus is that the Republicans have too easy of a time winning the SCW using the original expansion, so it might just take more playing it to get it right! I certainly wouldn’t say we’re experts at it either though.

• @vondox I have never seen the nationalists win. Germany usually needs to focus its resources not in Spain!

• @chris_henry I’ve seen the full
    Intervention happen with Soviets and it definitely helps them
    Win the SCW

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m