Can an Axis and Allies -style US Civil War game actually work?

• First of course: if this post should be in another subforum them please move.

Then secondly:

May this has already been discussed till death. But when I found out about Axis and Allies (early/mid 1990s) I really hoped for an Axis and Allies -like US Civil War game. To be honest I expected MB to release this if they would come up with more GameMaster Series games (OK, so this was a VERY big if).

But so…

Can it work?

Or is the Axis and Allies system just not ‘good’ enough for a game covering the American Civil War.

There were infantry units. Cavalry and Artillery. Some navy and some river boats.
    Put ‘elite forces’ or ‘veterans’ and generals into the mix and I would say ‘A&A Civil War’ could be a good game.

Any reasons this just did not happen?

• HBG, in their wisdom, is working on their take on the US CW: Global War 1861. News here:
    https://www.facebook.com/HBGnews/posts/1628973450472203
    Which means that somebody is at least thinking on those lines.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @midnight_reaper said in Can an Axis and Allies -style US Civil War game actually work?:

HBG, in their wisdom, is working on their take on the US CW: Global War 1861. News here:
    https://www.facebook.com/HBGnews/posts/1628973450472203 png to ico
    Which means that somebody is at least thinking on those lines.

-Midnight_Reaper

Great. Worked for me too. Thanks

• @ivabaxley larry was supposed to make one if WOTC would have not let him go. I bugged him about this for years just about when Pacific 1940 came out. But at that time i also bugged him about a WW1 game…and a space version of AA…oh well.

• @thrasher1 said in Can an Axis and Allies -style US Civil War game actually work?:

First of course: if this post should be in another subforum them please move.
    Then secondly:
    May this has already been discussed till death. But when I found out about Axis and Allies (early/mid 1990s) I really hoped for an Axis and Allies -like US Civil War game. To be honest I expected MB to release this if they would come up with more GameMaster Series games (OK, so this was a VERY big if).
    But so…
    Can it work?
    Or is the Axis and Allies system just not ‘good’ enough for a game covering the American Civil War.
    There were infantry units. Cavalry and Artillery. Some navy and some river boats.
    Put ‘elite forces’ or ‘veterans’ and generals into the mix and I would say ‘A&A Civil War’ could be a good game.
    Any reasons this just did not happen?

While an Axis and Allies-style game set during the American Civil War could potentially work, it would likely require significant modifications to the existing Axis and Allies system to properly capture the unique aspects of the conflict. The A&A system is designed to simulate World War II-era combat, which involved a different array of units and tactics than the Civil War.

That being said, there have been several board games released over the years that do simulate the Civil War, including “Gettysburg,” “Battle Cry,” and “Civil War.” These games often have their own unique systems for simulating the conflict, such as incorporating elements of card games or using a modular board to represent different battlefields.

As for why an Axis and Allies-style Civil War game was never developed, it could simply be a matter of market demand. The A&A series has primarily focused on World War II, which is a conflict that has remained popular among gamers and history enthusiasts for decades. The Civil War, while an important event in American history, may not have had the same broad appeal for a board game franchise. Additionally, developing a new game system is a significant investment, and it’s possible that the cost of creating a Civil War version of A&A was seen as too high for the potential return on investment.

• It absolutely can work, and work well.

Robert Otto created one in May 2022 called Total Civil War 1861-1865 and had it produced in limited quantities as a full boxed set … but at $350 a copy it was expensive (though considering only about 50 … maybe 100 … were printed, it makes sense to me (as a publisher)).

Unfortunately I don’t think he plans on doing it again and the website he had for taking orders is no longer available.

As for why it wasn’t released by MB/Wizards/Et.al. is probably because of a lower demand (even if only perceived) vs other projects. They also pretty much abandoned anything new or novel for the line quite a long time ago and just updated or tweaked and rehashed everything repeatedly. Their last great ‘innovation’ was A&A Zombies. Now that it’s in the hands of Renegade Games, who knows; they’re more open to new games.

• @iwillnevergrowup said in Can an Axis and Allies -style US Civil War game actually work?:

It absolutely can work, and work well.

Robert Otto created one in May 2022 called Total Civil War 1861-1865 and had it produced in limited quantities as a full boxed set … but at $350 a copy it was expensive (though considering only about 50 … maybe 100 … were printed, it makes sense to me (as a publisher)).

Unfortunately I don’t think he plans on doing it again and the website he had for taking orders is no longer available.

As for why it wasn’t released by MB/Wizards/Et.al. is probably because of a lower demand (even if only perceived) vs other projects. They also pretty much abandoned anything new or novel for the line quite a long time ago and just updated or tweaked and rehashed everything repeatedly. Their last great ‘innovation’ was A&A Zombies. Now that it’s in the hands of Renegade Games, who knows; they’re more open to new games.

Yes it can as will stated. I do have the game

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m