Join us in the Games Forum for Play by Email (or Forum)

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?board=40.0

• If you’re an economics major, you’ll know what I mean when I talk about “opportunity cost”.

If you use bombers against USSR, they will smack down a little better than 1 infantry a turn average, and risk being shot down.

If you use bombers against other targets, the bomber will probably not get shot down (you’ll have other cheaper units attacking), and you can send expensive naval units to h***.

Here’s the kicker.

Suppose you do NOT use a bomber against USSR for strat bombing for three turns.

Now let’s say that you make a massive attack into USSR that will probably last four-five turns.

That bomber WILL kill a chunk of infantry if it is not shot down, the AA gun only had one chance at it instead of three.

• 2007 AAR League

If your playing online using DAAK, you can throw “opportunity costs” out the window.  DAAK eats SBR bombers for breakfast, lunch & dinner…with an occasional midnight snack thrown in.  :-D

• 2007 AAR League

I’m beginning to think that DAAK has it set up so that the bombers get shot down more often than natural to make their Low Luck SBR rules look more appealing.

• If you’re an economics major, you’ll know what I mean when I talk about “opportunity cost”.

Yeah the straight out dollar for dollar figure is going to make it look like its not a good stragtey on the surface. If you could focus on the Russian player with bombing and ground units then a prolonged war would be to the Axis advantage. I was also thinking that you could build more tanks and less infantry for the axis which would allow you to bring more pressure on Moscow due to the increased movement.

That was the thinking at least but I believe that is not the best strategy and some SBR on Russia are benifical but a focused plan is not a valid strategy.

Rhineland

PS Game tomorrow baby

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

What respectable Russian player is going to sit around and wait to be knocked down to 20 IPCs by round two?

By round 2 Russia should have Fin/Nor and maybe even Ukraine.  Japan should be tied up with a joint offensive of Russian, American and British forces in Asia postponing his attacks as long as possible in the Russian frontier.  (If a japanese bid is in place, it may only be British forces Kwangbanging, but with no bid, I’d go Manch with Russia, Kwang with Brition and optimally FIC with USA.)

So we’re looking at a Russia at the end of Round 2 with + 2 Fin/Nor; +3 Ukraine; +3 Manchuria (normal game) that’s 32 IPC income.  Assuming your SBR does 4 dmg each (average) that’s sending them back to 24 IPCs for 8 more infantry and now you have US and UK transports, carriers, BBs and other ilk to deal with bringing over more infantry to help the Russians.

• Jen, I think you still need some time with Revised strats…
    Russia taking Manch in Revised is NOT like it is in Classic.

R1 Russia has West Russia and either Belo or Ukraine (+4 or +5).  They lose either Belo or Ukraine on G1.  they MIGHT lose Bury for 1 IPC on J1, but that can be prevented…

R2 is where it gets interesting for Russia… they can gain lots of income again in R2, but doing so splits up their forces to be killed piecemeal and without string Russian counter-attack possibilities.  Russia tends to hover in the mid to upper 20’s for a few rounds, then falls into the low 20’s by around Turn 5 or so…

My bad…I thought I was in the classic thread.  Much apologies.

As for a bombing strat with the axis in Revised, I still don’t think it’s worth it.  You give up a LOT of IPCs in land value and allow the allies to get too strong for you to repell if you are spending all your money on bombers.

Yea, Russia might fall easier, but you’ll have nothing to hold it with.

• @Jennifer:

Not a problem, have done that myself recently :-)

• What respectable Russian player is going to sit around and wait to be knocked down to 20 IPCs by round two?

I agree with you 100% that the Russian player would not sit back they wouild have to attack. This would increase the Russian money but SBR would knock down these advances with the added advantage of lengthened supply lines. Which I would think favours the German player greatly due to him being able to out produce and bring troops faster to the front. So the strategy was for GErmany to start bominb from the get go.

While Jap would slow build up their bomber fleet and start Russia with a focused push into Russia Eastern territories.

I have come to the conclusion that this is probably not the best strategy but I would like to see it tried. Its not really as bad a JEnnifer woudl make it out to be is it?

Rhineland

@ncscswitch:

@Jennifer:

Not a problem, have done that myself recently :-)

Yea, it’s easy to do when you hit “show unread posts since last visit” instead of hunting by catagory. wink

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m