• The Can opener concept has been pretty foggy for me, I’ve never really attempted it since it never seemed necessary but from what I know so far it seems that the Axis (German and Italy) tend to use can openers to give Germany an edge over the Soviet Union that prevents counter attack? I’m not really sure what can openers do for you as the Axis so if someone could explain this to me I would really appreciate it.

Secondly, something a certain General hand Grenade mentioned as “The British being capable of doing the reverse can opener on Germany”. Now, from what I know, in order to do a can opener you need to be in the turn sequence that goes after your enemy you want to can open, and somewhere after your turn your allies’ turn happens to be able to use the can open. So how would reverse can opening work for the British? If the British moved units in to can open for Russia Germany would counter attack since they go before the Soviet Union right?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Can openers for Italy and Germany, I can speak to. The concept is as you stated: a teammate, who goes before you, clears out blockers so that the main force can rapidly advance. Italy can “can open” for Germany because (usually) there are no ANZAC or French forces in the Eastern front. Russia can’t put single inf in territories to try and stop the German mobile units from two step advances because the italian force will kill it. The Russians must either put many units as blockers, which Germany will gladly kill since fewer units now protect Moscow, or retreat and turtle, which is also good.
    As you get closer to Moscow, having the Italians take a territory may not allow 2 step advance, but the Germans can now reinforce with aircraft, which often prevents a Russian counter, and so the German advance continues.

Incorporating the Italians into your Eastern front is a key enabling tactic for the Axis.

As far as a British “reverse can opener”… as i see it, you are right, this shouldn’t work for helping the Russians, since Germany moves first and would avoid any counter attack. The US can can open for Brits.

Perhaps, a reverse can opener is reblocking what the can opener forces cleared. In which case, you would need ANZAC or French forces to take out the Italians and establish control/ block. The Brits don’t move at the right time to make this happen.

• @surfer

Much appreciated Surfer. This concept always had me scratching my head and I appreciate the insight you’ve given.

As per fast movers I mainly use those to take Stalingrad since if I were to divert actual infantry and artillery it would take too long to get to Moscow and not to mention that Stalingrad is the deepest Victory City behind Soviet Lines so it would only make sense to send your airforce and fast moving units there.

Thanks again!

• '22 '21 '16 '15

I can only guess that the reverse can opener means that US can clear SZ´s which can then be reinforced with british sea units because no european axis have their turn between them.
    The most common use of that tactics as far as I know is the liberation of Denmark by US followed by a british surprise attack on Berlin.

• @robson

Yeah something like that, but when I heard this bizarre tactic it seemed a bit more directed at the Soviet Union doing a reverse can opener with the UK on Germany, which is what had me confused since that’s not how that works as far as my knowledge goes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m