Definition of "India" for Gurkha placement

• So if Nepal is not occupied, Gurkhas may be placed in India. My question is what territories by definition are India?
    My opponent seems to think this includes Bengal and Burma but I wanted to be sure as I always thought of Burma as a separate country from India, however at the time it was a province of IndIa I believe. Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks.

• There is no definition to be found in the rules.

I figure that special knowledge of geography and history are not required to play the games, so I understood India to be the continental FEC land zones and that only the island territories are excluded. I may be wrong.

It is a good question for the FAQ or Errata.

• @noneshallpass
    @JbuckBuddy

I also don’t know. My thought would be Benagal and all continental land zones to the west. This was the historical limit of “Indian” jurisdiction. Burma and Ceylon were ruled as separate colonies. I can’t find any info on Gurkha marshalling areas however. I believe this is the interpretation I have seen Ozark Outpost and RC play with, but I am not sure on that.
    In all, though I think this is the best option form a historical standpoint ( a common design feature) I think an FAQ Is needed.

• @JbuckBuddy
    @Noneshallpass

Ok, FAQ is up

"Q: Is Burma considered an Indian province / part of India? Can FEC build Gurkhas there?

A: Yes."

• @trig thanks.

• @jbuckbuddy

My opponent seems to think this includes Bengal and Burma but I wanted to be sure as I always thought of Burma as a separate country from India, however at the time it was a province of IndIa I believe. Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks.

This doesn’t really add anything to the rule set, but just a bit of background. Burma was part of the Indian territory until 1937, I believe. Then Burma became it’s own colony under British rule and separate of India.

So I’d actually always assumed the Gurkha rule did not include Burma, so I’m happy this question was asked and answered since I was wrong in that assumption!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m