Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

Naming an Army, Army Corps, Waffen-SS Army and Army Group:

• Tank Armies & Panzer Armies:
      The first Tank Army that a Nation creates is called: 1st Tank Army (Germany: 1st Panzer Army) etc.

When a Tank Army is no longer intact - due to combat losses, Non-Combat Movement etc. the Panzer General Unit that was in command of the 1st Tank Army (if the Panzer General Unit survived) would still give name to 1st Tank Army - in case that this Panzer General Unit would once again create a Tank Army.

This mechanism serves the purpose to distinguish the various Armies from each other, since multiple Armies can occupy the game board.

The example above is the same for Soviet Army Corps and German Waffen-SS Armies.

• Army Groups: An Army Group is named in multiple different ways.

• The German Army Groups are named after their Historical Number or Name.
      On the Eastern Front, the German Army Groups are named:
      Army Group North
      Army Group Center
      Army Group South

On the Western Front, the German Army Groups are named:
      Army Group A
      Army Group B
      Army Group C

• The United States Army Group is named: US 1st Army Group since the United States can only create 1 Army Group.

• The Soviet Army Groups are named:
      Soviet 1st Army Group
      Soviet 2nd Army Group

The Soviet Army Groups are named after the Tank Army that is part of that Army Group.
      Example:
      Soviet 1st Tank Army is part of a Soviet Army Group - this Army Group is called Soviet 1st Army Group.

If the Soviet 1st and 2nd Tank Armies are part of the same Army Group, the Army Group is named 1st Soviet Army Group.

A Soviet Army Group that includes only Soviet Army Corps is named:
    Soviet 3rd Army Group
    Soviet 4th Army Group

This is the case even though the Soviet Union can only create 2 Army Groups.

• Why:
      A quick reference look show the players that:
      1st and 2nd Army Groups have at least 1 Tank Army
      3rd and 4th Army Group have no Tank Armies
  • 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@victoryfirst said in Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion:

@barnee
    What might be more clear is that you create separate subcategories of the same unit (like it already is with the Commissars). Then you will have units of the same army grouped together of units, which is more clear to see than a bunch of units with three leading units. So for example having a Tank1, Tank2 and Tank3, one sort for each army.

For the army group you can do the same, create a unit called e.g. TankAG, so that you can see which units are in the AG by hovering over the unit.

Hmm … I’ll have to think on this. It may be partly possible. The immediate problems I see are that even though i can give the Unit additional Hit Points, they’d all have to be the same value. So the Commisar attacks at 2 but the Tanks at 3. Afaik triplea can’t do that.

Also I don’t think it can be deactivated mid battle. It’ll keeping throwing as many shots as it starts with. After battle the damage would be taken into account and then the unit could change into whatever needed.

Say a Commisar 3 Tank with 2 damage would change into a Commisar 3 T DMG 2 or something after battle and you’d know to remove it and replace with 1 Commisar and 1 Tank.

You can make boxes for the map and put units in it they way the physical board works but you’d still have to kill the support unit when you went understrength and then switch it back after battle. That’s not a big deal though. The boxes would keep it cleaner.

Problem is, idk how to do map stuff. All I can do is alter some images.

Thinking out loud here but maybe do as you suggested and when it’s time to actually attack or defend, remove the Commisar 3 Tank and add those Units before battle. That should be a little better. Or is that what you meant all along ?

Hmm … I’m guessing so. That makes sense and actually shouldn’t be to hard to do.

Great Idea ! :+1:

Edit
    Well I guess one could try it out anyway. Would still require a lot of edit. Instead of switching 1 unit you’d be switching several. Anyway, I’ll think on it some more

Edit 2
    Yea Idk i don’t think it’s really gonna help much that way. You’d just be editing all the time. i don’t think triplea can do what’s needed

• @barnee
    In 2023 Dark Knight, Cornelis Post, beserker and I, have planned a visit to the US for 2 weeks

We will meet with Gerneral 6 Stars and his guys to play with their 1941 rules - and also the Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion.

I hope we can also meet you - and play:+1:

We will produce a Game Board identical to my own - that can be folded for transport.
    We’ll also bring our painted game pieces.

• @the-captain That would be a blast. Sadly I don’t think it’s in the cards for me. If mom is still alive, I’ll be tending to her and if she’s not I’ll probably be back in Alaska.

Never know what next year will bring though :)

• @the-captain just to double check but LCVs can be transported by rail correct ?

• @barnee

Yes - at the same terms as other Land Based Units.

• @the-captain Can I send Infantry out of there Fortifications to attack another TTy if they are replaced at the end of the turn without whacking the Forts ?

For Example
    Normandy sends 3 INF out of their Fortifications to counterattack Belgium and they then place 3 INF in Mobilize phase. The Bunkers are not lost ?

• Rule says if infantry are destroyed or transported ( assuming they moved too on ground ) the fortification is destroyed.

• @barnee

It is not possible to keep a Bunker unit if the Infantry unit leaves it.

Not even if you send new Infantry units into that territory during NCM.

• Why:
      The Bunker unit (Fortification) represents Heavy Weapons, barbed wire, anti-personel mines, obstacles etc. and specially trained fortification infantry units.
      When the Fortification is left behind by the infantry defending in it, everything is considered demolished to avoid capture by enemy units.

• @the-captain so Armies, Corps and Army Groups can only be formed at the beginning of a turn unless reforming a previous one due to combat losses that turn ?

If I place a PG and 5 Panzers in Berlin, it won’t officially become active until the start of my next turn ? It wouldn’t be able to defend as a Panzer Army in the meantime ?

Thanks

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

Concerning an Army:

• A Panzer Army, Tank Army and Soviet Army Corps - can be formed in a Capital by the Capitals Original Owner either during the Non-Combat Movement phase or during the Place New Units phase.

These Armies are ready to defend in the same round - but they cannot attack until the players next turn, since they are formed after the Combat phase has ended.

Note:
    These Armies can also be formed in any other territory during the Non-Combat Movement phase.

• A German Waffen-SS Army can be formed in Berlin (Germany) during the Purchase New Units phase, since the German player can upgrade Waffen-SS Infantry to Waffen-SS Oberst Gruppenführer as well as upgrading regular Infantry, Artillery, Panzer Grenadier and Panzer to Waffen-SS units of the same type - during the Purchase New Units phase.

Waffen-SS Armies can attack in the same turn as they are formed in Berlin, since they are formed before the Combat Movement phase has started.

• @the-captain said in Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion:

These Armies can also be formed in any other territory during the Non-Combat Movement phase.

right on. Think I been doing it right then. Basically you just can’t form them during Combat Move

• @the-captain what’s the reasoning for Oberst not being able to be transportable by Air but Panzer Generals can ?

• @barnee

Waffen-SS units are considered to have multiple Weapon & Transport systems in their arsenal.
    In other words:
    Waffen-SS units are heavily equipped & highly mobile.

This is one reason why they cannot be lifted by air or transported by sea.

Another reason is the Historical aspect. No Waffen-SS Divisions were transported by sea or air during any invasion or re-group movement during the War.

Their training as well as the extra weapons & transportation means they have at their disposal is the major reason why they attack, defend and move as described in the rulebook.

• @the-captain right on that makes sense. Wanted to fly one to Africa lol

• @barnee
    You can upgrade Paratrooper units to Waffen-SS Paratrooper units - then send them to Africa.

Waffen-SS Paratrooper units move 3 - and move 4 when they take off from an Air Base.

• @the-captain yea I basically wanted to form a Waffen Army. I think the PG is to valuable to be used in a Desert Army

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

Germany can create a maximum of 7 Armies.

The best scenario for Germany is to have 3 Army Groups fighting in Russia and Europe - and 1 Army (either Waffen-SS Army or Panzer Army / Desert Army) fighting in the Middle East - Africa area.

Depending on the overall situation, Germany could have 2 Army Groups fighting on the Eastern Front and 2 independant Armies (or 1 Army Group) fighting in Western & Souther Europe.

The last German Army should always try to get to Africa & Middle East - this scenario is easier to achieve in Global 1943 rather than Global 1940.

• @the-captain yea but not really anyway to get a Oberst to Africa unless through the caucasus I guess. Although if you had enough Armor in Africa you could have a full Panzer Army instead of a Desert Army.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

Hi @The-Captain

It’s been about a year and half now since started playing your guys awesome mod :) Got about 30 games in. One thing that I keep thinking about, is how Tank heavy the soviets get in the late game.

I understand why they get the Mass Tanks and then included into there Total War Build, but it seems Mechs and Infantry, after there Conscripts are killed, get basically ignored then. That just seems a little off to me.

I wonder if making Total War Mechs 6 for 18 and INF 6 for 15 for the soviets would help offset the Tank spam ? Would that make russia too strong ? Or would they just say f it and buy Tanks anyway ?

Usually I got enough dough to buy 6 Tanks for 22 bucks, a Elite and maybe Guards if there not maxed. If I have leftover dough i grab a Para or just blow it all on Rockets.

I know you guys got a thousand games in and got it crunched the way you want :) just wondered what your thoughts are on that :)

Edit
    I guess for an extra 4 bucks you’d take the Tanks every time. If you don’t have enough dough, you take the 6 INF for 15 and save up for Tanks the next turn.

I guess Mechs just don’t get bought. Russia already at the front lines, so they don’t need the speed units like Germany. Although when JPN attacks it’s nice to have some for the East.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m