Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion

• @the-captain heh heh sweet :) Ok so I’ll go with Paras can retreat as long as they don’t attack across water. I just tested as I went and now I’m gonna run through a full game round and try all the new bells and whistles :grin: and make sure there’s nothing obvious I missed.

I’ll probably post it in a couple hours. Yea I’ve been somewhat “obsessed” with this. Idk if that’s a healthy personality trait or not, lol, but I didn’t think it would be triplea compatible at first. After going through the rules several times, I realized it could be made to work.

Personally I think it’s turned out better than originally hoped. :grin:

• @barnee

:+1: :+1:

We’re discussing land mines for use in TripleA in our Play Test Group.

One suggestion is, that only a certain number of mines can be active in each territory. The number of mines are equal to the IPC value (+ 1) of any territory. Example: if a territory has an IPC value of 2, the maximum number of mines is 3.

If a territory has no IPC value, there can be only 1 mine in that territory.

Mines only defend during combat movement and non-combat movement into or through this territory - not during retreat of attacking units.

This suggestion is based on our game experience with landmines.

Please note:
    Land mines are an essential part of defensive fighting. Especially on The Eastern Front as well as in Western Europe…

Could this suggestion work with TripleA ?

• @the-captain said in Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion:

…Could this suggestion work with TripleA ?

Yes. Landmines will require some heavier edit use than most units, but my testing showed it to be playable. I was wondering about spamming mass landmines. :)

I just posted the Version 1 file. I’m gonna post the triplea differences, run the test round ( thought I’d go ahead and upload now in case you wanted to check it out tonight ) and then I’ll start cracking on Version 2 :)

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@the-captain can you have as many unarmed mines as you want in any TTy ?

Edit
    Maybe something like, 10 total mines plus TTy value with TTy value plus one being the max number that can be armed at any given time ?

• @barnee

Originally, there is no limit to how many mines can defend at any border. But since TripleA cannot adapt this rule, we have to consider the play balance in attacker vs. defender. So, TTy value plus 1 as the max number of armed mines in a territory seems well balanced.

Also, originally there is no limit to how many unarmed mines each territory can contain. The reason is, that mines must be produced in a Capital - and from there move to the front during NCM. So, when the owner of these mines wants to move them in any directions - depending on the anticipated direction of enemy attacks - there might be “traffic jam” if there is a limit to the number of unarmed mines “enroute”.

To make this work with TripleA I can see the difficulties. So, taken the above into consideration I suggest that we adapt a rule that you suggest will work:+1:

Depending on player feedback, we can always go back and adjust the rule for TripleA later.

What do you think about this?:relaxed:

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

What if you went with the mines are activated at capitals, then move them in non combat to where you want and up to so many per territory like rule says. If not then go with 1 mine only per territory and D at a+1 if they can’t be moved. Can also raise price +1 or so if spamming happens.

• @gen-manstein

If it works with with TripleA, then lets try it.

Note: When mines are activated - originally these mines can no longer move. How does this work in TripleA if mines are activated in the Capital - before moving to the frontline?

How can we distinguish between mines that are dug in (armed) - and mines that are “unarmed” - and still able to move?

• @the-captain said in Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion:

@gen-manstein

If it works with with TripleA, then lets try it.

Note: When mines are activated - originally these mines can no longer move. How does this work in TripleA if mines are activated in the Capital - before moving to the frontline?

How can we distinguish between mines that are dug in (armed) - and mines that are “unarmed” - and still able to move?

Probably won’t work. You’ll have to put mine in capital activated and act as o normal piece in game. Just can only move NC.
    It be like an aa gun.

@gen-manstein It’ ll be pretty dangerous if we arm them and then try and move them :)

@The-Captain @GEN-MANSTEIN Yea, this is gonna be probably the most heavily edit use unit in the entire mod, so you can roll with your original rules if you want. The way I see them playing out, is like this:

1 Buy unarmed Mines, place in Capital =np

2 Move Mines in NCM to the Front or a holding area with the reserves = np

3 Arming the Mines.
    Here is where we need to start using edit.
    At the “Start” of the Place phase, you can arm as many mines as legally
    determined by the rules. Place the armed Mines and remove the unarmed
    Mines.

4 Open “Comment Log” and state which Border Mines are defending. " 3 Armed
    German Mines in Normandy are defending SZ 110"

5 When the Enemy crosses the minefield.
    Before CM, Attacker checks for any minefields in it’s path. Determines the
    number of attacking Units vs the number of defending Mines and goes to
    “Roll Dice”.
    Since all Mines roll at 2, simply add number of Mines in “Number of Dice to
    Roll”
    and then edit the Kills and the detonated Mines off the map. Turn off edit and
    begin your CM.

6 NCM would be same procedure.

I do think for Game speed and playability I would adopt the “no mines fire in retreat” though. Here’s an example. There are 6 unarmed Mines in Normandy
    Screenshot from 2021-05-04 08-10-50.png
    3 Mines are Armed
    Screenshot from 2021-05-04 08-13-07.png
    2 inf, 1 commando, 3 arty cross minefield
    Screenshot from 2021-05-04 08-15-08.png
    1 inf steps on Mine and is killed
    Screenshot from 2021-05-04 08-15-45.png
    Units are removed an Combat begins
    Screenshot from 2021-05-04 08-20-03.png

Edit
    oops Only 3 dice would have rolls because only 3 Mines :)

PSS
    Step 3 can be eliminated

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

Hey if you feel doing all that editing is no problem then go for it. I was looking at KISS.
    My thoughts are just try and keep it simpler if possible.

For being to strong active at capitals u can adjust pay and AD values. Base it on how many does each country actually buys and used each.

Maybe I don’t know what I’m doing. Lol
    Best I butt out of this discussion based on I don’t know what u can and can’t in triple a.
    As you know I play and test many different rules and pieces in games.

You doing a great job barnee !!

• @the-captain Most of it can probably be done mentally as if you load transports you have to remove the transport in edit along with the units then edit the trprt back in. So State in comment log “3 inf, 1 commando, 3 arty attack Normandy-sz 110” without loading the trprts.

It’ll take a bit to get used too, but it should smooth out with use. Also the Mines themselves are A0 D0 units with the unarmed ones at M1. So don’t take them as hits in combat. If TTy conquered all Mines will die. After Combat before NCM, edit armed Mines back in.

• @gen-manstein no woories General. Your input is always welcome :)

Yea this mod is gonna play more like a tabletop game than a regular triplea mod

• Discord is a good place to play and test with other people.

SS OVER & OUT !

Yea the biggest issue is triplea can’t distinguish which Border the Mines are defending. So there’s really no other way to do it. So whichever rules you wanna try first won’t matter much

• @barnee
    Hi Barnee,

In that case - when mines can defend a specific line/border - the rules concerning mines are according to the standard rules in the AAG40HRE.

I understand Manstein’s concern about game speed and KISS:+1:

So, Gentlemen - I would anyway suggest that we go with Barnee’s plan - and let’s see how it goes. :relaxed:

How does that sound?

@the-captain said in Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion:

So, Gentlemen - I would anyway suggest that we go with Barnee’s plan - and let’s see how it goes. :relaxed:

How does that sound?

I think it sounds good until we come into contact with the Enemy :grinning:

Edit
    Actually we’ll make a “Map Option” along SS’s line of thinking and people will have the option to play either way

So for an alternative, we can have a A0 D0 M1 C1 unarmed Mine. Only place in capital.

Armed Mine A0 D2 M0 C1 can be placed anywhere there is an unarmed Mine and it’ll consume/arm the unarmed one.

It will defend against all comers. Make it a suicide Unit so it dies when it gets a hit. If TTy captured they’ll all be dead so no leftover Mines. A tradeoff but some may prefer it. I can think some more and maybe come up with some way to do it

@GEN-MANSTEIN @The-Captain Sound good for starters ?

• @barnee said in Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion:

So for an alternative, we can have a A0 D0 M1 C1 unarmed Mine. Only place in capital.

Armed Mine A0 D2 M0 C1 can be placed anywhere there is an unarmed Mine and it’ll consume/arm the unarmed one.

It will defend against all comers. Make it a suicide Unit so it dies when it gets a hit. If TTy captured they’ll all be dead so no leftover Mines. A tradeoff but some may prefer it. I can think some more and maybe come up with some way to do it

@GEN-MANSTEIN @The-Captain Sound good for starters ?

Up too you guys. Sounds good.

I managed to reduce edit use a little. You have to buy 2 unarmed landmines for 1 pu. Armed landmines are also 2 for a buck.

If you want to arm the landmines in the capital same turn you bought them, then place them in the first Place phase. Otherwise place them normally. You will also need to have bought armed mines that turn as well. Place them in the second Place phase. You only have to place 1 of either if you want.

That will arm the unarmed mines and auto remove them. You can replace 1 mine at a time. Don’t have to do 2. If you have unplaced armed mines, They will carry over to next Place phase.

Armed mines can be placed anywhere there is an unarmed mine. You will have to follow the edit steps for combat. Save a little time anyway.

@The-Captain I’m guessing unarmed mines can use Rail ? Just curious, as Rail movement is gonna work the same way as Paras air movement.

@barnee said in Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion:

@the-captain … If TTy conquered all Mines will die. After Combat before NCM, edit armed Mines back in.

I forgot, I’ll need to make a “Allied to Everyone” player so the overrun Mines can be edited back in without causing conflict. These Allied Mines will have country roundels like the Paras for identification.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m