• @hbg-gw-enthusiast that’s rough

• 7333d31d-4622-44d3-bc6d-5a7d66dd53fc-image.png

• Burma Road Opening.

When does the burma road open. I have always been a bit confused by the wording:

The Burma Road opens July 1938 or later if Japan is at war with KMT. If not at war with Japan by July 1938 it opens at the start of the next calendar turn KMT and Japan are at war

Im kinda confused what the 2nd sentence is supposed to be saying.

• @theveteran

When ahead, get more ahead.

• The earliest it can open is July '38, but it requires a state of war between Japan and KMT. If Japan and KMT are not at war in July '38, then the next turn in which they arw at war the Burma Road will open.

• Really bad wording for this rule.

If Japan and KMT are at war, Burma road opens in July 1938.

If they are not yet at war in July 1938, then the road will open on the very next turn after there is a state of war between them.

In practice, it is usually July 1938 as Japan will not wait that long to expand in China. Economic cooperation sphere and all…

• @noneshallpass i find it weird why they needed to even have the second sentence there. The “or later” seems to render the other half superfluous.

• When Lend Leasing to a controlled minor, what territories can you deliver to? Minors dont have a home country, so for nations like the Dutch, can they recieve LL anywhere?

• @insanehoshi I would assume you need to send to the “home country,” which I consider all land zones contiguous with the capital.
    I don’t remember where I heard this, it may just be from my historical knowledge.

• @insanehoshi i think you need a port, a port and a railroad, or access via railroad on land and yes in “home country” so for the dutch - none of the islands: only the netherlands on Europe proper.

• @insanehoshi ALL lend lease per the rules says it has to go the home country via rail or port. So, for example, German could lend lease to Italy via a rail line and the US can lend lease to Russia via Vladivostok or Murmansk. This is all contingent that there is a working railroad line to the destination OR there are no enemy ships in the sea zone that could interdict the lend lease material. The US could not lend lease to a British colony in Africa for example since it’s not part of the home territory even if there was a working port available.

• @vondox Yes, that is true for majors but minors have no home country.

While we are talking about it, other LL questions.

• If LL is begun to a controlled minor power is at war, say france to Abyssinia, and then the abyssinians win the war, does the LL still get delivered?
    • If two powers are sharing the same turn, say USA and KMT, and USA begins LL, then KMT takes a territory (that is their home country), can that LL be delivered to the conquered territory?

• @insanehoshi the glossary at the beginning says minors do consider “the primary nation” to be home country, but not “colonies, islands or conquered land zones”

• @insanehoshi said in The FAQ Thread:

If LL is begun to a controlled minor power is at war, say france to Abyssinia, and then the abyssinians win the war, does the LL still get delivered?

Why would it not? The conditions for LL were already met when LL was declared.

If two powers are sharing the same turn, say USA and KMT, and USA begins LL, then KMT takes a territory (that is their home country), can that LL be delivered to the conquered territory?

I don’t think that this is convered in the rules, but there are so many restrictions on what can be done in newly conquered territories, that I expect that the answer would be no.

• Complicated question ahead.

Aircraft must save enough movement points to return to a friendly land zone or carrier during non-combat movement phase

Is the determination of if there is “enough” movement points remaining calculated during the state of the game during combat movement, or a future state where blockers may not exist. Can an air transport take a circuitous route (since the direct route is blocked by an enemy fighter) and say they are taking the direct route back assuming the blocking fighter is destroyed.

For example, If there was a German Medium Bomber in Paris (with an airbase), and an hostile british fighter in the english channel, can the German Bomber bomb the factory in London by moving Paris ->Normandy->SZ26->Midlands-> London and say it would return by london->english channel->Normandy for a total of six movement with the assumption the fighter would be killed in a separate battle. OR can they not make that move because there is no guarentee that fighter will be killed.

• In your example, if the British plane in the Sea zone is on Maritime Air Patrol (MAP), then it will be ignored since MAP only engages enemy naval units (Rule 8.7).

If the fighter is on a carrier in the Channel, then the Bomber cannot pass it when Combat Moving Aircraft, as it may only fly over Enemy-possessed land zones and sea zones if there are no enemy fighters in that zone (Rule 8.3).

Finally, to answer your main question, since the rule about saving enough movement points is itself in the rule for Combat Moving Aircraft (Rule 8.3), then this calculation should be based on the state of the board during that phase and not on a possible state of the board after combat as occured.

Since you do not have to declare yet where you will land, the Combat phase may open additional options for you (especially if you use Optional rule 10.2) but I think that you must at least have one valid option at the start of the Combat Movement phase or the move is illegal.

The only exception could be taking into account carriers that are moved for the purpose of creating a valid landing spot for your attacking aircraft, but that may end up damaged or destroyed, depending on the outcome of the naval battle in the destination sea zone. I don’t see this in the rules either, but I think it’s a mechanic carried over from the Axis & Allies games.

• Thanks for you post, but i wanted to clear something up

@noneshallpass said in The FAQ Thread:

if the British plane in the Sea zone is on Maritime Air Patrol (MAP), then it will be ignored since MAP only engages enemy naval units (Rule 8.7).

I dont think thats true, aircraft on MAP has the option to engage enemy naval units. They are engaged by air units as normal.

• @insanehoshi MAP aircraft can be attacked. The question was can they be ignored by passing enemy aircraft. I would tend to think so since the MAP engages only naval units.

• @noneshallpass But you cannot pass over a land zone with a fighter, even if that fighter is on the ground without an air base and cannot ever engage. I would say MAP is the same way. The “threat” keeps you from moving through.

• So you just prevent strategic bombings by placing MAP in all the coastal Seazones ? I don’t think that is what is intented…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m