• @insanehoshi I would say no. You have to announce ALL of your combat moves before moving. So in your example… you would announce that either ALL or a part of your naval surface/subs/air will be attacking the British fleet in the channel. As WELL AS, landing an amphibious force. This part I am bit unsure about is this BUT I think this is correct. The assumption is that screening forces are all defending ships. The defending player can NOT leave back a lone DD or cruiser while the remaining ships engage the screening fleet. Otherwise a rule-wise defending player would simply throw a single DD at the attacking screening ships who then can’t participate against the landings and then the British player can pounce on the transports and kill them all.

So, IF the Germans WIN the screening battle then ALL transports can proceed with the landings along with any German ships that were NOT part of the screening forces. However, if the Germans lose the screening battle then all of the transports and forces with those transports can not proceed to the landing. They are just stuck in the same sea zone along with any surviving British sea forces.

I think that is how it works…

• @vondox said in The FAQ Thread:

So, IF the Germans WIN the screening battle then ALL transports can proceed with the landings along with any German ships that were NOT part of the screening forces. However, if the Germans lose the screening battle then all of the transports and forces with those transports can not proceed to the landing. They are just stuck in the same sea zone along with any surviving British sea forces.

Oh if they had transports the Germans can land A OK ( because we have rules for screening forces).

I am talking about where there are no transports (and thus no naval units to screen for); They are going to make it over using the narrow crossing. Logically you could do so using a similar method, however i don’t think the rules state this.

• @insanehoshi You have to look at page 12 in the rule book, 1.12 on narrow crossings. So long as their enemy ships in the channel ( British ) you can NOT cross the channel using the narrow crossings rule. If he had a coastal artillery based in Southern England ( which is always a good thing to build I think ) it will prevent any such crossing automatically. Along with a plan on MAP or any enemy ship.

So the ONLY way to combat move across the channel would be to eliminate all enemy coastal artillery units, MAP planes and surface ships before you could use the narrow crossings rule and the same thing would apply to my previous post. You HAVE to announce ALL combat moves from the start of your combat movement phase so if you decide to engage the british fleet with your ships and your ships fail to eliminate the British then your troops are stuck on the beaches of France for another turn. You can’t decide after the failed sea battle that “okay, that didn’t work so now I will use my troops to strategic move to this location”

The ONLY time you get to decide to during combat to do something ‘else’ with your troops is to either retreat from battle as the attacker OR to blitz provided your combat forces meet the requirement of blitzing.

• In the British reference sheet, it states that Great Britain may declare war on an Axis power if that nation has declared war on any other nation during the game. Does this include the Axis power in question being at war at all, even if it was the opposing nation that declared war first?

Here’s the scenario in our game: Italy has never declared war on another power. The USSR has just declared war on Italy, and now Great Britain wants to use that as justification for attacking Italy. Is this allowed? Or does Italy need to be the one to make the declaration of war?

• @nicbot23 Not allowed. Just as the rule reads, Italy must be the one declaring war. That aggression would justify it. In your example they have shown no aggression to justify a British declaration of war.

• When cant the M-R Pact be signed. Say USSR has taken romania and finland and Germany has taken all of poland. Can the pact still be signed?

• @insanehoshi Interesting. I suppose from what I see in the rules, the only thing I can think of for when you can’t sign would be if a state of war already exists between Germany and the USSR. Even then, I don’t think it says that explicitly, so I may be making assumptions! It would seem weird to be able to sign after a state of war already exists though.

I suppose situations like what you describe would only serve to either make the potential signing more or less enticing, depending on your point of view? Like, if Romania and Finland have already fallen, maybe nothing stops you from signing, but is it really worth doing so now?

Will be curious on the answer here.

• On Lend Leasing.

Are you able to lend lease special units, ie Katyushas, SMLF, USMC?

Normally you are allowed to build 2 of each special force per turn. If you build two, are you able to lend lease a third?

• @insanehoshi I would say that the current rules allow lend-lease of special units like Katyushas. I would also say since you are limited to building two special units, you cannot skirt the max of 2 via lend-lease. But to borrow from the Big Lebowski, “That’s just my opinion, man.”

• @insanehoshi said in The FAQ Thread:

On Lend Leasing.

Are you able to lend lease special units, ie Katyushas, SMLF, USMC?

Normally you are allowed to build 2 of each special force per turn. If you build two, are you able to lend lease a third?

I don’t think that these are adressed specifically in the rules, but :

• The definition of lend-lease in the Glossary (0.9) is a system in which you “produce units for other nations”, so only the build table of the producing Power is relevant and there is no restriction on lend-leasing special units. This is one of the interesting aspects of lend-lease to allow powers to acquire units that they normally could not (see also the Player note on Page 33). This allows the USSR to lend-lease fighters to the CCP, for instance.

• The “Max 2 of each type per turn” on the NRS makes no distinction based on where that special unit will be going, so your are limited to producing two per turn, either for personal use or lend-lease. Remember that lend-lease is also declared in the Production Phase (7.9). See this as limited ressources for training and producing special forces, so giving one unit away does not magically increase your production capacity.

• @noneshallpass That would be my view as well.

• Regarding German LIGHTNING WAR.

If germany takes, syria for example, Iraq aligns at the end of the combat phase. If Germany is using their lightning war rule that turn, can they then use the aligned infantry in iraq in another combat move (say into transjordan)?

• Hi,

The Lightning War rule states that « Once per game, and prior to January 1941, all German land and air units may make an additional sequence of combat moves, combat (including blitz) and non-combat movement. The second round of attacks takes place immediately after the end of the first non-combat movement. Units with blitz may use this ability both rounds if possible ».

I would tend to say that no matter if the alignment of Iraq takes place after the first or second combat round these units were not yours during the first round of attack and so were not « German land units » for the purpose of the special ability.

A case could be made to the contrary, but it seems a bit OP to move these newly acquired units right away.

• This post is deleted!

• @insanehoshi the answer is NO the Iraq unit may not be used fir combat the same turn you aligned it since it aligned during the combat phase. (Not the start of the turn)

• @theveteran said in The FAQ Thread:

@insanehoshi the answer is NO the Iraq unit may not be used fir combat the same turn you aligned it since it aligned during the combat phase. (Not the start of the turn)

Yes, but germany gets another combat phase right after that one.

• @insanehoshi The new troops from Iraq are not able to make and « additional » sequence of combat moves, as they did not take part in the first combat moves because thew were not yet aligned to Germany at the start of the turn.

• @noneshallpass
    @insaneHoshi
    It says:
    “Once per game, and prior to January 1941, all German land and air units may make an additional sequence of combat moves, combat (including blitz) and non-combat movement. The second round of attacks takes place immediately after the end of the first non-combat movement. Units with blitz may use this ability both rounds if possible”
    To me the “all” is key. If Iraq aligns in the combat phase, and you start the next impulse at the end of non-com, then the Iraqi infantry is a German unit by that point and can make a move. there is nothing about starting the turn German. You could do the same with Slovakia or Romania.

• I was looking in the rulebook for the part about not being able to move units that you didn’t control at the start of the turn and I couldn’t find it. Anyone? At combat movement it just says you can move all units you want to be involved in combat …. (Nothing about controlling since the start of the turn. Reference is 8.2

• A couple of questions, first, I have seen people saying the winner of the Spanish Civil War stops making recruitment rolls, but I can not find that anywhere, can someone walk me on to that rule? Second, is AAA affected by terrain? On the one hand, it has Attack and Defense values, which suggest it is. On the other hand, the rule states outright it is on 3’s, which suggest no modifiers apply. I can see the argument for either side, so I brought it here hoping for a formal response from someone with the authority to make a such a ruling.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m