• '20 '16

We have always played the optional railway gauge rule. It’s printed on the map. It’s historical. Where I disagree with the majority of my group, is the building of new railroads.

If Germany is pushing into the USSR, should they not be able to build narrow gauge rail, thus extending their supply line? There is also the debate about rail capacity. Germany can build narrow gauge rail, with a capacity of 4, in East Poland, but not in West Ukraine? That doesn’t make sense to me.

Rail can be built in any territory, regardless of development, so the existing infrastructure of the territory should not limit the nation investing in building new rail. They should be able to build the type of rail they want.

Thoughts?

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

I thought it was not aloud to build railroads in games in enemy territories based on the gauge of track they had and your equipment wouldn’t work ?
    Plus time, cost and terrain was a factor to even consider it.

If it was done then it becomes a how much was done by who to allow it in game.
    I’d say no. Or cost and time is double some how ? IMO

• I think it would needlessly complicate things. If your are playing with Soviet guage in its home country, you’re playing with it in their home country.

However if you were to house rule it, you would have to keep in mind rail isn’t built in a territory, its built on a boarder. Getting into West Ukraine would need one narrow gauge on the boarder, past that would probably need on on its eastern boarder, and one in the next territory too.

• In the rules, the capacity is by region (rule 10.4), not by Major Power and the costs are the same for narrow and wide gauge rail. They can be built in captured territory.

If you want to house rule something different, obviously that is up to you and your group.

As similar argument could be made for factories. Why are Medium and Major Factories operated as Minor Factories in captured territories (rule 12.4) ? Why can’t German efficiency operate a Major Factory to its full capacity in captured Paris or a Medium Factory in Bavaria, for instance ?

We need to have faith that different options were considered and play-tested, but in the end this is the out-of-box rules that we have.

• Depends on how fast they can get materials and machinery and tools there.
    Ain’t going there in this thread.

Captain, looks like we got shot down. Lol

• @insanehoshi It is not “needless”, for the reasons I listed, at the minimum. It’s not complicated, because you would have a rail token placed on the territory borders, just the same way you do anywhere you build rail.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m