Broadsides and Boarding Parties

• Sponsor '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '12

I recently posted to one of the AaA Facebook groups a magazine ad from 1987 that featured 3 of the popular GameMaster series games (AaA, Shogun and Fortress America) and the ensuing conversation about the other games in the series (Conquest of the Empire, Broadsides and Boarding Parties) got me to thinking;

Would there be any desire for a new version of Broadsides and Boarding Parties?

Now, clearly it would not be a pure remake as I obviously do not have the financial clout to go up against the big publishers and their legal teams, but I could do a game with a similar feel to it, updated for modern play, new name (obviously) and new illustration.

Thousand Dollar Idea or Waste of Time?

*Edit: To be clear, I would not be looking to re-create Broadsides, but a game that gives the same feel and similar experience. There’s absolutely no way I want to even come close to infringing on the ol’ Milton Bradely rights (whoever owns them now).

• I think it is an interesting idea. Broadsides & Boarding Parties is the only game in the old GameMaster series that has not been reprinted up to this point. I may be mistaken, but I believe Restoration Games had shown some interest in re-printing this game, but am not sure if that is still the case.

• @crsluggo said in Broadsides and Boarding Parties:

I think it is an interesting idea. Broadsides & Boarding Parties is the only game in the old GameMaster series that has not been reprinted up to this point. I may be mistaken, but I believe Restoration Games had shown some interest in re-printing this game, but am not sure if that is still the case.

Restoration Games does do a lot of reprint of old games that the rights holders don’t want to do themselves, so it’s possible.

Just to reiterate though, I’m definitely not looking to do a straight up recreation of B&BP as I just cannot deal with the legalities of it all. Just something in a similar vein. Potentially rethemed (Sci-fi seems to be my main wheelhouse for game design and I already have a full world built that it can go with).

Just throwing out the concept of a B&BP-esque style game. Not a lot of heavy interest so far though so it may just be a vanity project.

• I like the rough idea, “B&BP in SPACE!”, but I do wonder about the execution. Part of the joy of B&BP, as I understand, was in the mixture of ship-to-ship action and then the close-quarters combat.

Nail that part, without the downsides of the original (once built, the ships were too big to fit back in their boxes and the peg system used to hold the pirates in place never worked right), and you might just have something.

Says the guy on the sidelines, to the guy that would have to pony up to do the work…

-Midnight_Reaper

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m