Scramble from adjacent land zones

• The Scramble rule states:
    “Airbases allows its owner to send up to three Fighters into combat in adjacent zones where it has at least one Defending unit.”

Can I Scramble more than 3 total Fighters if those Fighters are coming from multiple adjacent land zones with Airbases?

I’m trying to cover my 4 German Major Factories with 6 German Fighters from strategic bombing from the UK. If I place 1 Fighter in each land zone, and 3 in Western Germany, which is adjacent to the other 3 zones, if Berlin is attacked, I could Scramble all 6 planes - 1 from Berlin, 1 from S.Germany, 1 from E.Germany, and all 3 from W.Germany?

(Sorry if this has been answered. When I search, I get a bunch of questions about only scrambling from islands, which must be a rule from a previous version of the game…)

• Yes, the Scramble rule (8.6) that you quoted allows you to send 3 fighters per Airbase, not by territory.

So you can Scramble more than 3 fighters if you have multiple Aibases in adjacent zones.

You could even have more than one Airbase per zone, so in your example, you could build a second airbase in W. Germany and leave all 6 fighters there.

• Got it. Thanks for the clarification. It’s funny how once the rule is clarified, it makes total sense…

The rule says there needs to be “at least one Defending unit.”
    Can I assume that means I need to have an undamaged Airbase and at least one Fighter in the zone under attack before Fighters in adjacent zones can scramble and assist? Having a defending Factory, or a defending Land Unit aren’t an option? Or could I place 3 Fighters in Berlin, 3 Fighters in Western Germany, and those 6 Fighters will scramble to protect all 4 zones?

So to get around the rule, the UK could raid and damage the Airbase in E. Germany. Then, the US (before Germany have a chance to repair their Airbase) could raid the Factory in the same territory, and not only would any remaining E. Germany Fighters not be able to scramble, but no Fighters in adjacent zones would be able to scramble since there are no Defending units?

• Your question covers two different situations.

If the attack is a strategic raid against your factory, then I don’t think that you need to have units in the zone to scramble from adjacent zones.

If the attack is a combat move, then you do need at least one defender in the zone to scramble from adjacent zones.

You are correct that damage to the airbase will prevent scrambling.

• Thanks. Yes, I was referring to strategic bombing of a facility, and I see now that in the errata it says “… Defending unit or facility.”

Thanks!

• '20 '16

I would like the errata to change the wording to “if your ‘alliance’ has a defending unit or facility”, or “if your ‘nation’ has a defending unit or facility.” Because I don’t know which is correct. We play alliance, btw.

• The FAQ says :

Q: Can members of the same alliance use each other’s airbases to scramble?
    ie. a US fighter at a UK airbase.?

A: Yes.

The Rulebook (8.6) says :

Airbases allows its owner to send up to three Fighters into combat in adjacent zones where it has at least one Defending unit.

I take it that “its/it” always refers to the owner of the Airbase.

So if there is a naval battle against British ships next to London with an undamaged airbase, the British player (that owns the airbase) may scramble British and US fighters from London.

However, if there is a naval battle against US ships next to London with an undamaged airbase, the British player (that owns the airbase) may not scramble any fighters if he has no defending units in the seazone and the US player may not scramble any fighters since he does not own the Airbase.

Is this correct or does the FAQ mean that both could also scramble?

If its both, then the condition to have at least one Defending unit becomes meaningless.

• @noneshallpass said in Scramble from adjacent land zones:

The FAQ says :

Q: Can members of the same alliance use each other’s airbases to scramble?
    ie. a US fighter at a UK airbase.?

A: Yes.

The Rulebook (8.6) says :

Airbases allows its owner to send up to three Fighters into combat in adjacent zones where it has at least one Defending unit.

I take it that “its/it” always refers to the owner of the Airbase.

So if there is a naval battle against British ships next to London with an undamaged airbase, the British player (that owns the airbase) may scramble British and US fighters from London.

However, if there is a naval battle against US ships next to London with an undamaged airbase, the British player (that owns the airbase) may not scramble any fighters if he has no defending units in the seazone and the US player may not scramble any fighters since he does not own the Airbase.

Is this correct or does the FAQ mean that both could also scramble?

If its both, then the condition to have at least one Defending unit becomes meaningless.

It is not meaningless, if it is both, because you are not allowed to scramble into an empty space, without units or facilities. Your notes have not clarified it, for me, unfortunately.

• @noneshallpass I appreciate your emphasis on the owner of the airbase, but for the FAQ clarification, and the fact that all allies may use each other’s facilities, defend together, etc. I think a change in wording about the adjacent space, from “it has” to “there is” defending units or facilities, would bring it in line with my understanding. May be wishful thinking…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m