Slowly house ruling GW36 into a G40/BBR/GW36 hybrid for 2-players

• '17 Customizer

Well, 25 games in and we have house ruled GW36 into some Global 1940, Bloodbath Rules and GW 1936 hybrid. The OOB rules for 2-player make very little sense at all. Pity a 2-player version that works isn’t provided.

Adjustments:

• The C.C.P. is controlled by Japan until war with Japan or end of the Civil War work ok. It can create a Chinese civil war if Japan plans on invading China. If not, the C.C.P. can attempt to become a major power by rolling for control of the warlords.
    • Converted to BBR v3 VP point system (scrapped the OOB point system). Added Madrid as a VP and removed Juneau
    • Changed the Atlantic wall to just France territories (3)
    • Added Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark and S. Norway as a VP
    • Added a transport for Italy, just doesn’t make sense they have colonies and no sea transport.
    • Changed the BBR VP level for Japan to 50 IPPs, from 52 in BBR, per the OOB rules
    • Changing the ability to invade Poland or any neutral prior to Jul 1939 = only 1 D12 for UK and 1D6 for France. The game becomes scripted for the Germans because of the high cost of invading neutrals (i.e. so many D12 for UK). The Germans cannot really invade Yugoslavia or try anything else other than France-Poland.
    • Finland - going to try to make it “pro-axis” as in G1940. The Molotov agreement never gets enacted in 2-player. Might explore making a die roll for enacting and a die roll for # of turn in effect…or something.
    • The Soviet navy cannot move through the Bosphorus strait (it just makes a Soviet navy too powerful and it can mirror any attempt to move the Germany navy out into the Atlantic or Med and sink it).

We have played too many 2-player broken rule games for GW 1936. It was fun to learn the game but it has become frustrating and because there are no viable 2-players rules, we have to piece together what we can.

Why not just play G40 or BBR? Because there are units, “politics”, the SCW, Vichy, etc. that make it an interesting concept. The map in general is more interesting as well.

Yes, it is a bastardization but we had reached the limit of what we could do with the OOB and 2 players.

Open to ideas, comments, etc.

• @sjelso Not sure what you mean by adding Madrid and removing Juneau. Juneau was never a victory city in GW36 or BBR.
    I would personally keep the OOB VPs, as they are the ones that have worked the best in testing, and they balance the game. I would go with a idea I saw, not sure whos, but it was to roll at the end of the game to see which set of VPs the Allies/Comintern use, as that encourages both to try their best to get points.
    And finally, this was never designed as a 2 player game. It works excellently as a 1 or 3 or more player game. I would try to find a third player.

• For what it’s worth for maybe 2 player, here’s what I use in game. Madrid and Ankara are VCs.

Just roll 1d12.

4FF546C0-32B4-4CD3-A415-1AA9496593BA.jpeg

• '17 Customizer

@trig BBR 3.0 has Juneau. 3rd player unlikely. It should not be marketed as possible 2-player then. Just state it is a 3-player game.

• OOB rules for 2-player

Where are these?

• '17 Customizer

@insanehoshi There really are not any tweaks for 2-player, thus the problem. Square peg, round hole.

• @gen-manstein Finding this card confusing - so this is to roll for the ability to influence neutrals and turn them to your side?

Why not just do it so that 1-6 = pay bank for loses, 7 = pay 1 extra, 8 = pay 2 extra, 9-10 joins your side, 11-12 = joins your side plus reserves called up.

What are the numbers in the brackets on some of the countries mean?

• @sjelso Would love to see a concrete VP list for your game, as I’m confused by what you’ve written - Juneau isn’t on the BBR VP points/

I’m definitely finding 2-player GW36 a little bit lacking, and also don’t really like the seemingly random enforcement of certain technologies for VPs in the OOB rules.

How many points do you actually need to win the game in your adapted rule set? BBR rules base it on the number of rounds to be played, by GW36 is obviously a lot longer.

Do you still use the World Oil points, assuming you use the Oil expansion set?

What about the resources one?

• @aldrahill said in Slowly house ruling GW36 into a G40/BBR/GW36 hybrid for 2-players:

@gen-manstein Finding this card confusing - so this is to roll for the ability to influence neutrals and turn them to your side?

Why not just do it so that 1-6 = pay bank for loses, 7 = pay 1 extra, 8 = pay 2 extra, 9-10 joins your side, 11-12 = joins your side plus reserves called up.

What are the numbers in the brackets on some of the countries mean?

You get all 3 territories in Saudi Arabia

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m