Well, 25 games in and we have house ruled GW36 into some Global 1940, Bloodbath Rules and GW 1936 hybrid. The OOB rules for 2-player make very little sense at all. Pity a 2-player version that works isn’t provided.
- The C.C.P. is controlled by Japan until war with Japan or end of the Civil War work ok. It can create a Chinese civil war if Japan plans on invading China. If not, the C.C.P. can attempt to become a major power by rolling for control of the warlords.
- Converted to BBR v3 VP point system (scrapped the OOB point system). Added Madrid as a VP and removed Juneau
- Changed the Atlantic wall to just France territories (3)
- Added Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark and S. Norway as a VP
- Added a transport for Italy, just doesn’t make sense they have colonies and no sea transport.
- Changed the BBR VP level for Japan to 50 IPPs, from 52 in BBR, per the OOB rules
- Changing the ability to invade Poland or any neutral prior to Jul 1939 = only 1 D12 for UK and 1D6 for France. The game becomes scripted for the Germans because of the high cost of invading neutrals (i.e. so many D12 for UK). The Germans cannot really invade Yugoslavia or try anything else other than France-Poland.
- Finland - going to try to make it “pro-axis” as in G1940. The Molotov agreement never gets enacted in 2-player. Might explore making a die roll for enacting and a die roll for # of turn in effect…or something.
- The Soviet navy cannot move through the Bosphorus strait (it just makes a Soviet navy too powerful and it can mirror any attempt to move the Germany navy out into the Atlantic or Med and sink it).
We have played too many 2-player broken rule games for GW 1936. It was fun to learn the game but it has become frustrating and because there are no viable 2-players rules, we have to piece together what we can.
Why not just play G40 or BBR? Because there are units, “politics”, the SCW, Vichy, etc. that make it an interesting concept. The map in general is more interesting as well.
Yes, it is a bastardization but we had reached the limit of what we could do with the OOB and 2 players.
Open to ideas, comments, etc.