Global War 2.0 is available for Triplea.
1940 Global Alternate Universe (G40 Alt-Universe)
G40 Alt-Universe is for those who love Axis and Allies, but are looking for a new strategic experience. The war is the same, but occurs in an alternate universe where the Earth’s land formation happened differently. It’s a return to the early days of pouring over the map and developing strategies in an unfamiliar setting.
YouTube Video Introduction:
TripleA Game File Link:
Most Recent TripleA Game File Version: 2.0.8
G40 Alt Universe Rules.pdf
National Objectives Card Deck:
G40 Alt Universe National Objective Card Deck.pdf
Summary (National Objectives) File:
G40 Alt Universe Summary.pdf
Unit Placement File:
G40 Alt Universe Unit Setup.pdf
Contact @Contango about getting the map file as it’s too large to host on the forum.
G40 Alt-Universe is designed to be played with the components and basic ruleset of Axis and Allies Europe 1940 Second Edition and Axis and Allies Pacific 1940 Second Edition.
For in-person play, if you already own Europe and Pacific 1940, all you need is a printed map file. If you’re interested in getting the map file, please private-message me or use the email mentioned in the YouTube video.
If you want to try the game electronically, I’ve also created a TripleA game file, available at the link mentioned above.
Note that the game is in a beta phase and might still be subject to minor changes, however, no map changes are anticipated and would be done only as a last resort in order to fix an exploit.
Game Play Videos:
Contango vs Corporal Clegg & Piloto – YouTube Game - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiYPkgQBrKeGCKxJJwUnzFi5fQBgQxm4H
YouTube Game Strategy Commentary - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiYPkgQBrKeFKLB8oWmFoszBt8ZXTAiB8
I just saw your video on the Grasshopper.
Awesome stuff you have here. I like the approach of just changing the map, which makes it probably very easy to get going.
I think though, you should use the opportunity to give cities, canals, (important) territories and maybe the planet itself your own names. It will certainly add to the feel of the game and will feel more lively than moving from “R16” into “City” and such.
I’d also have nothing against giving the nations a different name. Could still resemble the model-countries, but even a small change would be awesome for immersion I think.
Yeah, I hear you on the immersion. It’s something that I’ve thought about but left off for now for a few reasons:
- My priority has always been on strategic tension/intrigue and variety along with balance. I’m definitely still focusing on that for now.
- The plan was always for it to be a sort of expansion from the main game for a diversion. I wasn’t really expecting anyone to play it frequently enough to start remembering territory names anyway, but more just mixing it in here and there for variety.
- It always felt a bit disingenuous to start naming places on an imaginary map since the real game is based on real places that have history and emotional ties.
I could invent some names, but that feels like it doesn’t have any context. The other option is just going with “New London”, “New Berlin”, etc. which could also work.
At any rate, I think the naming is definitely on the back burner and we’ll see if I get there eventually. The current focus is drumming up interest in actually playing it.
Thus far I haven’t gotten any feedback on any completed, human vs human playthroughs. I’m thinking about doing a map giveaway draw for anyone who completes a TripleA game on the forum. I’m having a banner vinyl map printed that could be shipped to the winner.
Also looking into having my print shop be able to print and ship to people, rather than them having to figure out the printing process themselves.
MonsieurMurdoch last edited by
I have to admit, this looks cool! Have you ever considered drawing up a Pangaea Supercontinent map?
In terms of putting the vast majority of the land territories in one big continent, I wanted to stray away from that idea because I thought it might lose some of the strategic dimension.
Conceptually, if all of the objectives are available by land, it kind of removes some desirability/necessity to get involved in naval combat. Even if it was still helpful to buy a navy, perhaps to get to an objective more quicky, you still have relatively few options since you’re basically stuck going clockwise around the Pangea or counter clockwise, and once you’ve decided on a direction you’re committed.
In some sense though, the Alt-Universe map is already a bit of a Pangaea map… The entirety of Sea Zone 76 is considered a strait that can be crossed by ground units, so the two major continents are connected by land.
I felt like this was a happy medium since technically you can get to the vast majority the map by land, but the land distance is so far that there’s clear incentive to use a navy to get there faster.
BTW, not sure if you saw it, but I’m doing a map giveaway draw for anyone who submits a playthrough on TripleA. (solo or bonus if it’s a group game) Here’s the link for more info if you’re interested:
I’ve updated two of the PDF reference files:
- Summary (National Objectives) File: updated for a couple of minor typos
- Unit Placement File: updated for minor changes to opening setup
Here’s a link to a video explaining the opening setup changes:
TripleA file is not yet updated for the opening setup changes, but hope to do that soon.
Further updates to original post:
- Added new National Objectives printable Card Deck designed by @CorporalClegg
- TripleA game file updated to version 2.0.7 which includes the opening setup changes plus some cosmetic fixes
Link to video showcasing the national objective card deck:
Original post updated, replaced card deck with version fixing typo.
Updated original post to add section for strategy videos.
piloto1969 last edited by
@contango Hello there contango!! Piloto here, im trying to get the file to be able to print the map, for a upcoming game with corporal clegg and you, but im heve been unlucky using my dinosaur skills to find the file, please help me by sending me the file
I’ve contacted you privately to work out getting it to you.
For anyone else interested in the map, you’ll need to get in touch with me as it’s too large to store on the forum.
Updated original post to add Rule Differences Card Deck created by @CorporalClegg
Version 2.0.8 Updates (all files in original post updated):
- Russian DOW moved to turn 4
- Starting Unit Changes:
o F4 – 2 Less Infantry
o F3 – 1 Less Infantry
o UK3 – 1 Less AA Gun
- A4 added to German Sea Lion objective
- Plundering is now specific to each city/complex rather than each territory to accommodate factories built on territories previously taken
- France escalation chart changed slightly to allow French ships to end movement next to Axis territories if also adjacent to French territories
- Fixed some TripleA objectives that didn’t fire if necessary territories were owned by allies
- Fixed French industrial complex that didn’t transfer IPCs properly (F5)
- Some additional notes added to the “Unenforced Rules and Known TripleA Issues” section in the game notes
- Added note in rules that US War Time Production objective can optionally be 5 IPCs if players agree (TripleA will always be 10 IPCS)