• Hey guys, first time poster here.
      I noticed the last post was a year ago so I hope I’m not falling on deaf ears.  I played A&A for the first time in 2003 probably and it was on the original game board and I had a lot of fun but didn’t get a chance to play it again until this last week.  The board my friend had was different than the one I originally used and I read and understood the rules thoroughly.  I thought we were using revised rules but I found some inconsistencies in the ones we used and the ones I found here (link removed cause I Didn’t realize I couldn’t post links, but I dont’ want to change all of my paragraphs, but these were the LHTR 2.0 I found on this forum)

Are these the “standard” rules that people would play in general tournaments?  Because I’d like to get into this game so I’d want to learn on the most common rule set first before branching off.

I read the rules on that link thoroughly and although I dont’ have my friends instruction book anymore I remember what it said and there were a lot of differences, some very significant.
    -there was no research at all
    -AA guns only got to fire if they were being attacked (planes could pass over enemy AA safe from what I understood, so long as they didn’t attack)
    -when you did strategic bombing it did damage points to the IC  that limited production at that IC by the        amount of damage points done. Up to twice the countries value.
    -the naval stuff was WAAAAYYYY cheaper.  subs cost 6, carriers 14, transports were 7
    -transports had no attack or defense (free targets)
    -cruisers existed and were 3/3 could automatically bombard coast
    -destroyers completely nullified sub surprise fire (also destroyers were 2/2)

So I assume that is specific enough that you guys know what version I played.  I know that versions exist like pacific and doomsday and what not, but Im pretty sure this wasn’t those, and I know that there are original and revised rules. but these dont’ match the revised rules I saw.  So why so many rule sets? And do you recommend we play on my friends rule set or is there any reason we shouldn’t be able to adopt the rule set I linked by removing the cruisers and adjusting the costs/stats on navy and adding a research board.  Are the piece setups different at beginning? they didn’t seem to be based on some videos I watched here (link removed)

So besides that stuff I’d also like to know where I could play A&A for free online, preferably against other people, but against computers too.  I downloaded this (link removed, is called TripleA) but it doesn’t actually say A&A on there anywhere that I can find, and of all the game options they are for 6 people or more, I would expect only 5 if it was traditional A&A right?

Also when I start playing a game like this my learning curve is usually pretty high, if there are any resources you’re particularly fond of that have to do with A&A strategies, discussions, etc. I’d love to really plow straight through and take in as much as I can right away (as of writing this I have a dedicated firefox window with 13 A&A tabs)

I know this was a long post and I hope I’m not bothering anyone, but I look forward to learning what I can from the community

• Looks like I answered some of my own questions in the time since my last post.  I said something to the effect of not seeing the A&A name on that game I downloaded then I stopped to think what triple A might stand for.  And I figured out how to download any version of the game for it.  Also Im pretty sure I was playing the A&A 1942 revised rule set.

So my new question is why the update from revised to 1942 revised.  Did they feel it was more balanced with no tech and cheaper navy?  Aand would they be considered the standard rules or the original revised rule set. the LHTR 2.0

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Guppers!

Many changes were made to the A&A system in the 50th Anniversary Edition, which was released in 2008.  This edition turned out to be very popular, so these same changes were incorporated into the “base” A&A game, resulting in the 1942 Edition.  The 1942 Edition is now the “standard” A&A game, replacing the out of print Revised.  The 1940 Edition is based on this same foundation, but adds a lot more depth of play.

You can play either version on-line at GameTable OnLine.

• Founder TripleA Admin

You can also play-by-forum here with TripleA.

• @djensen:

You can also play-by-forum here with TripleA.

that sounds great.  I downloaded tripleA and I’ve been playing on it for about a week now with 1942 rules.  I want to start playing against people but I wanted to get familiar with the computer first but that leads to some questions.

My first question is not so much to do with tripleA but bidding in general.  The threads that I read on bidding seemed to be discussing revised rules so I don’t know if it’s relevant to 1942.  From what I understood, a professional club game will have an average bid of 21-23 for the axis side.  So that means in top level play the game is horridly unbalanced?  Would it be ridiculous for two people who know what they’re doing to have a serious game w/o bidding.
        My 2nd question regarding bidding is, let’s say axis gets the bid with 21.  Does that mean that the axis side gets 21 ipc to do w/e they wish with or just germany?  If they wanted to place a bb for japan instead would that be allowed?
        And my 3rd question regarding bidding is how it applies to 1942.  Was the game balanced since revised?  Seems like it would be prudent for the game maker to design the game so it could be played OOB by pros w/o house rules.  I’m trying to piece together the history of A&A by reading forum posts but it’s only been a week and I haven’t quite gotten it all yet, I seem to recall seeing something that said 1942 bids went in favor to allies, meaning the allied side would have the disadvantage and be placing preplaced units correct?

I have some questions about A&A also.  I’ve been playing games as the allies first on medium AI then on Dynamix (I assume from context that it’s the hardest difficulty)  Should I be giving the computer starting bid advantages to give myself a more realistic idea of what I’m going to go up against when I play a human?
      One strange thing I noted about playing the computer is that when it was on medium it offered me some challenge, (it would punish me for leaving underpowered fleets in range of anything that could kill it or lone transports, and it would gobble up any territories I didn’t specifically reinforce).  I got used to beating the computer on medium by focusing on germany and then pushing japan back out of asia.  But when I switched to Dynamix using the same strategy and opening moves the computer played so passively it was ridiculous.  Japan never once made a combat move the whole game (not even to take the northern asia territories that I backed off from to avoid shore bombardment).  I wasn’t allowing germany to take any advantages on the eastern front, I would simply take west russia and then attack on that front until their infantry are dead and then retreat (my logic behind this is that they will never have enough fodder to justify attacking me).  Apparently this strategy humbles the computer so much that germany can do nothing but curl up into a fetal position at their capital and make 40 infantry (also the radio japan and tell them to do the exact same thing).
        Is this a bug in the tripleA AI or did my strategy of retreating exploit the AI into not being able to make any aggressive moves?  Anyway, I play strategy games because I like to be challenged, and I thought I could get a little more out of AI games than what I did. Any suggestions?\

I’m so sorry for the wall of text, I hope someone will take the time to help me out though :)

• @Guppers:

My first question is not so much to do with tripleA but bidding in general.  The threads that I read on bidding seemed to be discussing revised rules so I don’t know if it’s relevant to 1942.  From what I understood, a professional club game will have an average bid of 21-23 for the axis side.  So that means in top level play the game is horridly unbalanced?  Would it be ridiculous for two people who know what they’re doing to have a serious game w/o bidding.
        My 2nd question regarding bidding is, let’s say axis gets the bid with 21.  Does that mean that the axis side gets 21 ipc to do w/e they wish with or just germany?  If they wanted to place a bb for japan instead would that be allowed?
        And my 3rd question regarding bidding is how it applies to 1942.  Was the game balanced since revised?  Seems like it would be prudent for the game maker to design the game so it could be played OOB by pros w/o house rules.  I’m trying to piece together the history of A&A by reading forum posts but it’s only been a week and I haven’t quite gotten it all yet, I seem to recall seeing something that said 1942 bids went in favor to allies, meaning the allied side would have the disadvantage and be placing preplaced units correct?

I recommend the appropriate 1942-related sub-forum to you:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?board=66.0
    There your questions should be answered.

This thread
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26509.0
    indicates that bidding in Spring 1942 may not be as relevant as it was in Revised.

Bidding in general is covered for example here:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=6187.0

@Guppers:

I have some questions about A&A also.  I’ve been playing games as the allies first on medium AI then on Dynamix (I assume from context that it’s the hardest difficulty)  Should I be giving the computer starting bid advantages to give myself a more realistic idea of what I’m going to go up against when I play a human?
       One strange thing I noted about playing the computer is that when it was on medium it offered me some challenge, (it would punish me for leaving underpowered fleets in range of anything that could kill it or lone transports, and it would gobble up any territories I didn’t specifically reinforce).  I got used to beating the computer on medium by focusing on germany and then pushing japan back out of asia.  But when I switched to Dynamix using the same strategy and opening moves the computer played so passively it was ridiculous.  Japan never once made a combat move the whole game (not even to take the northern asia territories that I backed off from to avoid shore bombardment).  I wasn’t allowing germany to take any advantages on the eastern front, I would simply take west russia and then attack on that front until their infantry are dead and then retreat (my logic behind this is that they will never have enough fodder to justify attacking me).  Apparently this strategy humbles the computer so much that germany can do nothing but curl up into a fetal position at their capital and make 40 infantry (also the radio japan and tell them to do the exact same thing).
        Is this a bug in the tripleA AI or did my strategy of retreating exploit the AI into not being able to make any aggressive moves?  Anyway, I play strategy games because I like to be challenged, and I thought I could get a little more out of AI games than what I did. Any suggestions?

See this thread
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26221.0
    in the Software section.
    HTH  :-)

• @ncscswitch:

By request, here is the link to the most recent version (1.4) of LHTR, Larry Harris Tournament Rules.

For anyone who may not have encountered them, this is probably the most commonly used rule-set for online gaming.

http://dicey.net/revised/viewtopic.php?t=92

Any idea where the rules are not listed for 1.4 LHTR? The link does not work any longer.

• Official Q&A

1.4 is obsolete.  Try 2.0.

• Thanks Krieghund.

• Being aware that the revised edition is out of print, when using the LHTR rules, so Russia Restricted still apply?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m