• Hi All, I just wrapped up my first A&A game versus the computer (won as Axis - yeah me). I have a bunch of questions that I’m not sure will be in the forum. Thanks for answering.

• Halfway through the game, any time I wanted to do anything with fighters or bombers I had to scroll screen size all the way out so that those icons weren’t the fighter or bomber in order to select them and show where they could move to. Maybe this is graphic issue on my non gaming laptop??

• I had a few scenarios with transport where I had an empty transport in Japan that I could load with infantry and tank etc during combat move but the only place it allowed me to move was one square in friendly area. I thought it should have been able to load them and move to Alaska or a ton of other territories I controlled or actually even enemy for invasion if within 2 spaces of japan … right?

• My wife surprisingly is willing to play this online with me. We played one board game already and online should work better. Her work laptop can’t have anything downloaded to it. For the online game, can she just create steam account, buy game and play “online” or is there software that needs to be downloaded? If not, then we’ll have to do the hotseat scenario I assume.

• On the intro video by Beamdog intro video, it looks like the movement of various pieces is significantly smaller. When I play the swooshes and combat circles seem to take over the territory making it tough to see what I have left to play with. Is there a setting that makes that smaller. I feel like I have hard to see setting turned on.

• '12

@drdachel said in newbie with a bunch of questions:

• My wife surprisingly is willing to play this online with me. We played one board game already and online should work better. Her work laptop can’t have anything downloaded to it. For the online game, can she just create steam account, buy game and play “online” or is there software that needs to be downloaded? If not, then we’ll have to do the hotseat scenario I assume.

Steam is still going to download portions (if not all) of the game locally so it wouldn’t be a good idea for a workplace machine with strict rules.

1. Don’t know. The UI is what it is.
    2. Screenshots. I could ask if you’re using the literal interpretation of “friendly” sea zones, or if by “friendly area” you mean territory you controlled at the start of your turn, then I could ask about other units in the area and ask you a lot of other questions - but just a few screenshots would do.
    3. You’ll have to hotseat. The game does not advertise that it has Steam Remote Play so it probably doesn’t, and the game doesn’t operate as a remote service.
    4. I don’t think there’s any setting to change or eliminate “swooshes and combat circles” (sometimes called movement lines).

• @aardvarkpepper
    I assume by what you’re saying that I can go backwards in the game and relive the various moves. If so, I’ll try and get to soon. Thanks for replying.

I wasn’t trying to eliminate them, but in the videos, the swooshes appeared to be 1/4" or so and on my screen they were like 3/4 of an inch. They pretty much covered the width of Japan making it hard to see what else I had left. No biggy.

• @drdachel said in newbie with a bunch of questions:

• Halfway through the game, any time I wanted to do anything with fighters or bombers I had to scroll screen size all the way out so that those icons weren’t the fighter or bomber in order to select them and show where they could move to. Maybe this is graphic issue on my non gaming laptop??

So the UI is pretty glitchy and not always user friendly or even consistent. The trick to select units when the sea zone of territory is too cluttered for the proper unit to be simply clicked on, is to click on the sea zone or territory itself, and bottom left to expand the window detailing the content of the selected SZ or territory, and from there select the unit you want.

As far as the transport combat move, the transport needs to be loaded in order to show the enemy territories it can reach. If you haven’t loaded it yet but selected it, the sea zones you can reach in order to then load units for an attack elsewhere will light up in blue, but until the transport is loaded, you won’t see red territories light up.

Cheers

• '12

@drdachel said in newbie with a bunch of questions:

• My wife surprisingly is willing to play this online with me.

Oh, and by the way, if you’re with a woman willing to play board or video games with you, especially strategy games, you better be sure you’re treating her like gold!

• @drdachel said in newbie with a bunch of questions:

@aardvarkpepper
    I assume by what you’re saying that I can go backwards in the game and relive the various moves.

Nope. You could try setting up a game with you playing all powers, and try to recreate the situation though.

I wasn’t trying to eliminate them, but in the videos, the swooshes appeared to be 1/4" or so and on my screen they were like 3/4 of an inch. They pretty much covered the width of Japan making it hard to see what else I had left. No biggy.

They used to have the lines connected to the UI, with individual lines for each unit (not merely unit type), which resulted in literally uncontrollable situations when there were too many lines.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m