• '20

Pls find below 2 questions regarding the rules:

1. On see zone 14 when game starts there is a UK carrier and a fighter. Assuming that Germany attacks on SZ 14 with 2 subs, 1 destroyer and 1 plane. Germany rolls the dice and hits the carrier. UK rolls the dice but doesnt hit any unit. Germany decide to retreat. So the G fighter can land on an area (based on the moves left) and destroyer can retreat to SZ 15. What about the subs? can they also retreat to SZ 15? or they should stay on SZ14?

2. During non combat move phase, can a transport load and offload units if there is an enemy sub on sz? For example assuming that Norway Finland already captured by UK and there is 1 UK inf. UK transport is on SZ3. On SZ 6 there is an enemy (e.g. Germany sub).
      Can the UK transport move from SZ 3 to SZ 6 load the UK inf and then offload it on United Kigdom

• @fatoumas said in Eligible moves:

Pls find below 2 questions regarding the rules:

1. On see zone 14 when game starts there is a UK carrier and a fighter. Assuming that Germany attacks on SZ 14 with 2 subs, 1 destroyer and 1 plane. Germany rolls the dice and hits the carrier. UK rolls the dice but doesnt hit any unit. Germany decide to retreat. So the G fighter can land on an area (based on the moves left) and destroyer can retreat to SZ 15. What about the subs? can they also retreat to SZ 15? or they should stay on SZ14?

If there is still a defender (in your case, the UK fighter), all of your sea units can withdraw. If they do leave, all of them must go and all they go to the same sea zone. At least one of your sea units must have moved from your zone of withdrawal. In this case, that would be sending your destroyer and both of your submarines to either SZ 9 or SZ 15.

As for your plane, if you call a retreat then the fighting stops. The plane will stay where it is (in this case, SZ 14) until non-combat movement, at which time it will need to find a landing zone. (That is “rules as written”. If your play group all agrees to land planes after their combat but before the end of the
    Conduct Combat Phase, then you do you.) See page 17 of the A&A 1941 rule book for the exact wording.

@fatoumas said in Eligible moves:

1. During non combat move phase, can a transport load and offload units if there is an enemy sub on sz? For example assuming that Norway Finland already captured by UK and there is 1 UK inf. UK transport is on SZ3. On SZ 6 there is an enemy (e.g. Germany sub).
      Can the UK transport move from SZ 3 to SZ 6 load the UK inf and then offload it on United Kigdom

In short, what you ask is legal.

Moving a loaded UK transport, during Noncombat Movement, from SZ 3 to SZ 6, in the presence of an enemy sub, is legal.

Mind you, SZ 3 touches Norway Finland, so there is no need to move from SZ 3 to SZ 6 in order to land troops in Norway Finland.

See page 20 for moving transports during non-combat movement. A particular point in that rule is the friendly vs. hostile sea zone. See page 13 for a discussion of how enemy submarines do not make a sea zone hostile.

I hope that helps.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @midnight_reaper yes. It helped me a lot. One clarification about my first query. The same applies if on that battle there wanst a destroyer? E.g. UK has the carrier and a fighter, while the Germany has a sub and a fighter. So Germany hits the carrier and the UK doesnt hit a unit on first round of battle. Germany decide to retreat. So subs can retreat by moving on next sea zone? I am asking because, now there is not a destroyer. And subs cant hit the plane, so maybe they cant retreat in another sea zone and only the fighter can move and land on another territory?

• @fatoumas said in Eligible moves:

@midnight_reaper yes. It helped me a lot. One clarification about my first query. The same applies if on that battle there wanst a destroyer? E.g. UK has the carrier and a fighter, while the Germany has a sub and a fighter. So Germany hits the carrier and the UK doesnt hit a unit on first round of battle. Germany decide to retreat. So subs can retreat by moving on next sea zone? I am asking because, now there is not a destroyer. And subs cant hit the plane, so maybe they cant retreat in another sea zone and only the fighter can move and land on another territory?

When units retreat, either land units on land or naval units at sea, they must retreat to a territory where at least one of the land or naval units moved from during combat movement. (Land units doing an amphibious landing are not allowed to retreat, but that is outside the scope of this question.) In your case, you have 1 submarine and 1 fighter. To end this fight, you have 2 options: retreat or submerge submarine, then retreat.

Retreat: You can retreat as I outlined in my last answer. If you choose to retreat, then you can only retreat to SZ 9 or SZ 15, depending on whether your submarine came from SZ 9 or SZ 15 to attack SZ 14. Your fighter would still hang around until non-combat movement, as discussed previously. What you can not do is retreat your submarine to any other sea zones. You must retreat from whence you came.

Submerge Submarine: If you feel you must retain control of SZ 14, where the combat took place, and you feel like trying your luck against the defending fighter one more time, then you can submerge your submarine instead of retreating. When you submerge a submarine, it quits the fight but doesn’t leave the sea zone. Because you have to start another round of combat in order to submerge, your fighter would have to stay and fight 1 more round before calling off the fight. While this would give you the opportunity to finish off that British fighter, it would also give the British another chance to kill your fighter. See page 16 for submerging in combat and page 27 for submarine-specific rules.

In your specific case, I would retreat instead of submerge if it was me. But now you know what I think your options are.

My 2 IPCs,

-Midnight_Reaper

• @midnight_reaper said in Eligible moves:

@fatoumas said in Eligible moves:

@midnight_reaper yes. It helped me a lot. One clarification about my first query. The same applies if on that battle there wanst a destroyer? E.g. UK has the carrier and a fighter, while the Germany has a sub and a fighter. So Germany hits the carrier and the UK doesnt hit a unit on first round of battle. Germany decide to retreat. So subs can retreat by moving on next sea zone? I am asking because, now there is not a destroyer. And subs cant hit the plane, so maybe they cant retreat in another sea zone and only the fighter can move and land on another territory?

When units retreat, either land units on land or naval units at sea, they must retreat to a territory where at least one of the land or naval units moved from during combat movement. (Land units doing an amphibious landing are not allowed to retreat, but that is outside the scope of this question.) In your case, you have 1 submarine and 1 fighter. To end this fight, you have 2 options: retreat or submerge submarine, then retreat.

Retreat: You can retreat as I outlined in my last answer. If you choose to retreat, then you can only retreat to SZ 9 or SZ 15, depending on whether your submarine came from SZ 9 or SZ 15 to attack SZ 14. Your fighter would still hang around until non-combat movement, as discussed previously. What you can not do is retreat your submarine to any other sea zones. You must retreat from whence you came.

Submerge Submarine: If you feel you must retain control of SZ 14, where the combat took place, and you feel like trying your luck against the defending fighter one more time, then you can submerge your submarine instead of retreating. When you submerge a submarine, it quits the fight but doesn’t leave the sea zone. Because you have to start another round of combat in order to submerge, your fighter would have to stay and fight 1 more round before calling off the fight. While this would give you the opportunity to finish off that British fighter, it would also give the British another chance to kill your fighter. See page 16 for submerging in combat and page 27 for submarine-specific rules.

In your specific case, I would retreat instead of submerge if it was me. But now you know what I think your options are.

My 2 IPCs,

-Midnight_Reaper

Everything is clear now. Thanks a lot for the detailed info

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m