• Another question regarding sea zone movement. My opponent took his German fleet into the Med after taking Gibraltar. If I place an American destroyer in SZ91 to force him to engage and essentially slow his movement capability, can he choose to only send his planes during combat phase to clear the SZ and then during non-combat phase move his fleet through SZ91 (and beyond - would technically still have three spaces) or since it was recently hostile is he confined to stay put until his next turn? Obviously he could also send his whole fleet into battle, but the rules are clear about his movement being done in this case. I couldn’t find anything about the scenario I raised.

Ultimately I’m trying to create a picket line to slow him from responding to my US fleet heading to Iceland for an eventual landing in Norway. If I can put a destroyer in 91 and then on the next turn another in SZ104 and SZ103 I could force him to take three rounds before he could reach Norway.

Appreciate the help!

• @jscam74 said in Attacking through a neutral powers sea zone:

can he choose to only send his planes during combat phase to clear the SZ and then during non-combat phase move his fleet through SZ91

Yes he can. Once the DD is destroyed the SZ is now not hostile during non-combat movement so it no longer hinders movement.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@jscam74 said in Sea Zone Movement:

Another question regarding sea zone movement. My opponent took his German fleet into the Med after taking Gibraltar. If I place an American destroyer in SZ91 to force him to engage and essentially slow his movement capability, can he choose to only send his planes during combat phase to clear the SZ and then during non-combat phase move his fleet through SZ91 (and beyond - would technically still have three spaces) or since it was recently hostile is he confined to stay put until his next turn? Obviously he could also send his whole fleet into battle, but the rules are clear about his movement being done in this case. I couldn’t find anything about the scenario I raised.

All naval and air units present in the sea zone are presumed to be present for the combat. If the units remain in sea zone 91 during combat, they are presumed to have participated in the combat. So, if your opponent leaves the ships in sea zone 91 for the combat, they are in the combat and cannot move during non-combat movement.

What your opponent CAN do is move the naval units during the combat movement phase to avoid them being included in the combat. In this case the end result is the same, but when a transport is involved the end result is not the same.

This is an example of a situation where you must do non-combat movement during the combat movement phase to avoid the units being involved in combat.

Marsh

• @marshmallowofwar said in Sea Zone Movement:

@jscam74 said in Sea Zone Movement:

Another question regarding sea zone movement. My opponent took his German fleet into the Med after taking Gibraltar. If I place an American destroyer in SZ91 to force him to engage and essentially slow his movement capability, can he choose to only send his planes during combat phase to clear the SZ and then during non-combat phase move his fleet through SZ91 (and beyond - would technically still have three spaces) or since it was recently hostile is he confined to stay put until his next turn? Obviously he could also send his whole fleet into battle, but the rules are clear about his movement being done in this case. I couldn’t find anything about the scenario I raised.

All naval and air units present in the sea zone are presumed to be present for the combat. If the units remain in sea zone 91 during combat, they are presumed to have participated in the combat. So, if your opponent leaves the ships in sea zone 91 for the combat, they are in the combat and cannot move during non-combat movement.

What your opponent CAN do is move the naval units during the combat movement phase to avoid them being included in the combat. In this case the end result is the same, but when a transport is involved the end result is not the same.

This is an example of a situation where you must do non-combat movement during the combat movement phase to avoid the units being involved in combat.

Marsh

Hey Marsh - so how would it play out if he has moved to SZ92 and I send my destroyer from the US to block the strait? He has 2 ACC with 4 fighters, one BB and one Cruiser so trying to determine if he can send his planes during the combat phase to clear my destroyer and then during non-combat have his fleet leave the Med and chase down my fleet. Trying to slow him down and wasn’t sure if I could use this strategy. Previous response from someone else said the SZ would have been cleared by the planes so his fleet could move freely through SZ91. Just want to clarify.

• @jscam74 Yes, if he were already in the Mediterranean and your ship was alone in sea zone 91 he could clear sea zone 91 with just his planes and then leave the Med with the fleet in non-combat movement.

Marsh

• @marshmallowofwar thanks to both you and @AndrewAAGamer for clarifying. Thought I had a sneaky way to slow him down, but will have to give it some more thought!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m