If you were Germany what would you do?

• '21

IMG_0594.jpg

Playing 1940 Europe as Germany. Playing my two sons and they always win. This time I have a chance to win as Germany however made a mistake and left Berlin vulnerable. Just took Moscow and have 84 IPCs. If you were faced with this situation and it is USA’s turn now. How would you attempt to hold off the USA long enough to get your tanks back from Moscow. What units would you buy?

Thanks for any insight

• @maddabout said in If you were Germany what would you do?:

IMG_0594.jpg

Playing 1940 Europe as Germany. Playing my two sons and they always win. This time I have a chance to win as Germany however made a mistake and left Berlin vulnerable. Just took Moscow and have 84 IPCs. If you were faced with this situation and it is USA’s turn now. How would you attempt to hold off the USA long enough to get your tanks back from Moscow. What units would you buy?

Thanks for any insight

As far as I can see, the US is not getting to Berlin in one turn, so you’re ok there. It’s the UK that can get there (unless I’m reading this entirely wrong).

I’d probably just buy some infantry, maybe a couple fighters and/or warships.

• @maddabout if I’m seeing things correctly, you could push a few tanks from Berlin to Denmark and take out the British tank, essentially blocking the allied navy from using the Danish Strait. I’d send two tanks and your fighter and that should do the trick. This buys time.

With 80+ IPCs I’d buy 10 infantry in Germany (30) and buy another 10 for W. Germany (30). With your remaining IPCs I’d build 2 fighters in Leningrad and fly them over on your next turn. Start moving some of your tanks back from Moscow, but I would think you have enough infantry in place to hold and get another good build. Consolidate your infantry and load up on tanks/fighters for a counter offensive.

• @maddabout BTW, curious what round you’re on.

• @jscam74

thanks for the advise. Cant purchase for W. Germany because I lost it to USA. I can buy for Berlin and Paris. This is the beginning of round 6.

• @maddabout oh - missed that. In that case, I’d still blitz through to Denmark and then during the NC phase move infantry into W Germany to reinforce. Everything else should still be doable.

Let us know how it turns out!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Can’t blitz into Denmark as any armor must stop in West Germany due to the infrastructure.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Not sure what the worry is here. The US has no ground units so their only attack is 2 fighters and a bomber. UK can only get 3 armor there with a bombard. You already have 9 units - build 10 more.

BTW those Major ICs in West Germany, France and Moscow should be minor ICs now.

• @andrewaagamer said in If you were Germany what would you do?:

Can’t blitz into Denmark as any armor must stop in West Germany due to the infrastructure.

That’s right - so hard to try and assess the board when you’re not sitting in front of it…

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

As Andrew said, there is no worry here at all because you build in Berlin before the US and UK can go, US has no ground units so all it can do is sacrifice planes, and UK can only bring a three tanks and two infantry as ground forces as an assault force.

Depending on what those gray and black ships are in sea zone 112, you might even have an opportunity to destroy the Allied Atlantic fleet.

I would build 8 infantry, a fighter, and a destroyer in Germany.

Use your Germany tanks and tactical bomber to kill the UK tank in Yugoslavia (being sure the tactical bomber makes it back to Germany), and use a single infantry to recapture West Germany because you do not want the US building there.

Place the destroyer in sea zone 113, forcing the US to clear the zone for the UK (and preventing the US from sacrificing its planes in Germany to make a UK victory more likely) or forcing the UK to clear sea zone 113 (preventing any amphibious support shots) (depending on what those black and gray ships are!).

Consider building three fighters at the Novgorod IC – those fighters can threaten sea zone 112, along with the fighter and tactical bomber from Germany. Retreat at least one infantry from Finland to cover the fighters.

I don’t think you need to move anything back from Moscow – I think you need to go get your next two NOs in Caucasus and Volgrograd. I would consider building a strat bomber in Moscow to help with the threat to the Allied Atlantic fleet.

Marsh

EDIT: Well, I missed that it’s currently the US turn from the original posting. If this is the case, if the US sacrifices its planes and gets lucky with the bombard, you might lose the battle but the odds are still heavily on your side (assuming green chips are three units).

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@andrewaagamer I believe with the W Germany naval base available to the UK he can also bring two infantry from the UK for the attack. Have I missed something?

Also, assuming green chips are threes, doesn’t he have 12 units there?

Marsh

• @marshmallowofwar
    thanks for all the great analysis from everyone! I lost the game unfortunately but not because of a mistake on my part but because we did not realize that in the rules when you capture an enemy territory with a Major Complex it gets downgraded. So the US dumped 10 tanks there and the end was swift after two turns because I could not pump out enough stuff and sustain attacks from US, UK and my other tanks in Russia could not get back fast enough to help.

Question when the MC gets downgraded can the capturing force upgrade it? The US has a ton of money so its kind of a moot point they can just drop 20IPC’s and still have 50IPC’s to spend.

Thanks again great insight to a really fun game!

• @andrewaagamer
    Thanks for this we did not know this rule. Also great insight!

• @maddabout said in If you were Germany what would you do?:

Question when the MC gets downgraded can the capturing force upgrade it? The US has a ton of money so its kind of a moot point they can just drop 20IPC’s and still have 50IPC’s to spend.

No, only the original owner can upgrade it.

Marsh

• @marshmallowofwar
    Can you help me find that in the rules that the original owner? Is it because you can only put MC on original territory?

• '20

“Major industrial complexes can only be built on originally controlled (not captured) territories with an IPC value of 3 or higher.”

pg 27 Europe 2nd edition will answer all your questions on the topic.

• '20

@colt45554 “A minor industrial complex can be upgraded to a major one at a cost of 20 IPCs. The industrial complex to be upgraded must be located on an originally controlled (not captured) territory that you have controlled since the beginning of your turn and that has an IPC value of 3 or higher.”

• @colt45554

Thanks so much for clearing that up!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m