• '17 Customizer

Has anyone developed a 2-player variant that works? So many things don’t make sense with 2-players.

• Due to the pandemic, I have only been playing 2-player games. It’s more like Axis & Allies, as Russia always sides with the allies and CCP and KMT don’t attack each other.

It’s still an enjoyable game, but I can’t wait to have the full 3-player experience.

• Off the cuff, I have two suggestions to play two-players.

First, I’d try allowing the Axis to play China CCP. This can represent negotiations between the Japanese and the CCP players that come to an accommodation. It might force the KMT player to aggressively attack the CCP early, or risk the CCP being used a force to attack the FEC if they become a major power.

Second, I’d have the Soviet/Allied player roll a die at the end of the game. 1-6, they only count their Allied points towards victory. 7-12, they only count the Soviet points. It would force the Soviet/Allied player to strive to win with both because they don’t know which one will be the one to count in the end.

• '17 Customizer

@hbg-gw-enthusiast Yes, actually we let the Japanese control the CCP. At 1st we were trying the Japanese controlling the KMT but we switched it. It kinda works. Also, we need to fix some of the rules preventing the Soviets and Allies from cooperating, sharing territories, etc. Essentially make it more like Global 40 or it is just a farce to have the Soviets pretend to be a faction vying for 1st place. Too bad there isn’t a published 2-player version.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast

Second, I’d have the Soviet/Allied player roll a die at the end of the game. 1-6, they only count their Allied points towards victory. 7-12, they only count the Soviet points. It would force the Soviet/Allied player to strive to win with both because they don’t know which one will be the one to count in the end.

You could also just run the game by summing the Comintern and Allies Victory conditions/points and removing the more adversarial ones so that They still only have 18 VPs.

To do this you could remove

• Soviet Union - Worldwide Communism 11
    • CCP - Expel foreign Influence & Inflame the revolution 3
    • GB - Contain Communism 1
    • USA - Contain Communism 1
    • France - Eliminate Communism 1
    • KMT - Defeat the Communists 1

This way the Allies & Communist player, who i will call the United Nations (UN) from now on, would still only be able to achieve 18 victory conditions.

Furthermore I would do the following to make it more even for the Axis player

• Due to the fact that The UN has one more victory city by default, Germany’s Eliminate Communism becomes "Score 1 VP up to 2 for each Soviet City they possess (Moscow counts for 2)
    • If the Axis so wish, The UN player must sign the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and Soviet-Japanese Non Aggression Pact.
    • If the USSR nation declares war on any country that does not touch their home country, they forfeit the 2 IPP bonus from the Archangel Line
    • (Optional if you feel Axis isn’t balanced enough yet) - If the USSR nation declares war on any country that does not touch their home country the Allied nations, can no longer send lend lease to the USSR.

I think this might work. It will probably railroad you into a more historical game, but i don’t think that there is anything you can really do about that.

• @insanehoshi said in GW1936 v3 2-Player Rules?:

You could also just run the game by summing the Comintern and Allies Victory conditions/points and removing the more adversarial ones so that They still only have 18 VPs.

To do this you could remove

• Soviet Union - Worldwide Communism 11
    • CCP - Expel foreign Influence & Inflame the revolution 3
    • GB - Contain Communism 1
    • USA - Contain Communism 1
    • France - Eliminate Communism 1
    • KMT - Defeat the Communists 1

This way the Allies & Communist player, who i will call the United Nations (UN) from now on, would still only be able to achieve 18 victory conditions.

Cleverness!

• It makes no sense to give CCP to the axis in the 2 player version otherwise it makes attacking China as Japan much for painless. With 2 players, you’re going to have to accept a forced truce between the Chinese. And if you ask a lot of experienced players with Japan, there is good strategic value in ignoring China in the short game.

• @caesar-seriona Actually, it works well. Japan gets CCP until the Chinese Civil War ends or they declare war on China. Creates a real war. The CCP is trying to kill as many troops on either side. The Nationalists are trying to preserve as many. We play the long-game but I understand why Japan may leave China alone (same in G40).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m