• In a city, could an airbase be strat bombed, or the port blockaded, or even a tank blitzing to surround the city, before the battle in the city takes place in the same turn in order to surround it? Or does the city need to be surrounded since the beginning of the turn for the minus 1 to take effect? Since strat bombing happens before combat and since the attacker is able to choose the order of battles, I would think so but wasn’t sure. Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks.

• '18 '17 '16

Unlike A&A the attacker can choose to do whatever attack he wants to in any order. That means he can indeed bomb the airbase in order to complete surrounding a city before the combat begins in the city. You should always give some thought to the order in which you conduct your combats because there are other situations where it’s in your best interest to do one before the other.

• @generalhandgrenade My apologies for replying to a year old thread, but would the same thing apply bombing an airbase and scrambling? In a situation where fighters are scrambled to an adjacent province, would bombing an airbase (assuming it does not get intercepted), cancel the scrambled fighters in the adjacent province? My initial assumption is no because the rules state that scrambling occurs after the attacker declares their attack, and we are ruling it as such for our current games, however it does seem to add some realistic strategic depth. Just wanted a second opinion from someone who was very close to the development of the game like yourself. Thank you for your time if you get around to replying to a ancient thread :D

• '18 '17 '16

@donham
    You’re correct in assuming that the scrambling happens at the end of the Combat Movement Phase (8.6). Given that fact the planes would have already moved before the rolling begins and thus the bombing of the airbase would have no effect on the scrambling ability. We have always played it that way as you have DonHam.

As a sneak preview, in V4 of the game the Strategic Bombing aspect of the game will take on greater significance. This is one rule which will be adjusted so that the defenders will not scramble until the attacker has announced that combat will begin in that particular territory or sea zone. That means that the attacker will be able to disable an airbase adjacent to another place where they will attack afterwards, giving the defender no chance to scramble planes from that airbase. That will make the game more interesting and combat more thoughtful. I look forward to seeing that and all the other changes in the next version of the game.

• @generalhandgrenade Thanks for the reply and the surprise sneak preview, I look forward to seeing all the rules changes. V.3 was a really good step in the right direction, can’t wait to see all the new stuff

• @generalhandgrenade sounds like at least one good rule change is in the works!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m