• Ok, so I was reading a game between Avin and NCSCSwitch that took place a while ago and I just realized that you can take Infantry and Armor from Western Canada to Western Europe via a Transport in one move.  I had never seen this move before as I am new to the whole PBEM/F thing.  Are there any other moves that are sneaky like this?  Or am I just blind?

• Yes its true. but thats in 2nd edition version.

As IL pointed out that is in 2nd Edition, there are some things that are generally accepted in PBEM unless otherwise stated.

Also, A transport CANNOT unload into multiple territories during combat.  However, multiple trns can have different locations.
    IE, if UK was attacking both Fin and WE and the only have 1 trn, they can’t unload 1 inf into WE and 1 inf into Fin.  But if they have 2 trns then they could land in both, one trn for each location.
    One of the PBEM Clubs has a Rules Clarification and FAQ for this one.

Here are some differences that may come up between 2nd Edition and 3rd Edition.

2nd Edition

W Can connects to E can sz
    1 hit Battleships
    You cannot retreat anything from an amphib assualt (including planes)
    Subs can retreat (but not submerge)
    If you bought ships but the enemy occupies your sz then you can’t place them and you lose them

3rd Edition

W Can does not connect to E can sz (so you can’t do that W can to WE move)
    2 hit BB (although many people may still request keeping them 1 hit)
    You can retreat planes from amphib assualts
    Subs can retreat or submerge
    You can place new naval units in an occupied sz

Most people I’ve played here play by 2nd Edition Rules.  If you are familiar with the CD game from 1998 there were other options that some players also use.  Usually the ruleset is clarified prior to playing.  But most people I’ve encountered play 2nd Ed, which would be the ruleset from the Board Game anywhere from the early/mid 80’s to about '98.

• Thanks for the clarification.  I was unaware that you could not bridge Infantry to 2 different countries in the combat move since the Transport didnt have to move.  Is that explicitly stated in the 2nd Edition rules?

Also, prior to me joining this website I did not know about 3rd edition rules.  Submerging sounds cool.  Not really sure how to do it or whatever, but if everyone plays 2nd Edition for the classic game, then I’m not too worried about it.  I would like to know if there is a PDF file online somewhere that explains in detail the 3rd Edition rules, just because I am curious.

I am correct in the fact that a Transport can bridge Infantry to 2 different countries in NON combat though, right?

Thanks for you guys help!

I was never aware of the tranny thing either until I started to play online.

It was one of those things where I just assumed you could unload to multiple places.

I think rules weren’t really clear, I could never find it definitley stated one way or the other but someone got a Rules Clarification and that is accepted.

You’re right about non-com, you can unload into multiple places.  I think there is a specific example of that in the rulebook.

I’m not sure if there is a 3rd Ed Rulebook, I think it generally refers to the Rules in the CD game from 98.

But I’ll get the links for where they might be, and the Rules Clarifications.

Rules:

http://www.dicey.net/nuke/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=4

Here’s a list of FAQs.  Some are specific to that Club, but they have a list for 2nd Edition stuff, like Trans, Amphib Assualts, etc.

http://www.dicey.net/nuke/modules.php?name=FAQ

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m