Global 1940 Targeted Technologies

• We’re going to be testing out Targeted Technologies this coming weekend for Global 1940 game. We have a Double Deck of Tech cards. Countries cannot pick 2 of the same tech. Attached are the Tech cards. TargetedTechnologiesv2.pdf
    Basic Rules are…

1. Countries will roll a 20-sided die to see who picks tech first. Germany, USSR, Japan, US, and UK will roll. (If everyone agrees, Germany was most technological and should go first).
    2. Highest to lowest chooses 6 technologies they would like.
    3. Italy will pick 6th and ANZAC will pick 7th.
    4. China and France do not pick tech.
    5. Technology rules from the rulebook then apply.
    6. OPTIONAL RULE: Once technologies are chosen, everyone roles a 6-sided die and gets that tech. They then choose one more random, face down card to make 6 again.

• @DocFav said in Global 1940 Targeted Technologies:

We’re going to be testing out Targeted Technologies this coming weekend for Global 1940 game. We have a Double Deck of Tech cards. Countries cannot pick 2 of the same tech. Attached are the Tech cards. TargetedTechnologiesv2.pdf
    Basic Rules are…

1. Countries will roll a 20-sided die to see who picks tech first. Germany, USSR, Japan, US, and UK will roll. (If everyone agrees, Germany was most technological and should go first).
    6. OPTIONAL RULE: Once technologies are chosen, everyone roles a 6-sided die and gets that tech. They then choose one more random, face down card to make 6 again.

@DocFav said in Global 1940 Targeted Technologies:

We’re going to be testing out Targeted Technologies this coming weekend for Global 1940 game. We have a Double Deck of Tech cards. Countries cannot pick 2 of the same tech. Attached are the Tech cards. TargetedTechnologiesv2.pdf
    Basic Rules are…

Whats the difference in pick order when they all can pick same techs ? Or I’m I missing something ? If It is Germany picks 6 techs then others don’t get ? Then not enough techs for 7 countries.

• Correct. If the techs are gone, they don’t get them.

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

So then Italy gets the last 2 and anzac snuffed ?

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

Maybe not have random die roll based on when some countries had most and best tech. Some of your techs are more in the line of advance weapons. I do have in my game 2 dice rolled for each country to get 2 advantages and tech for the main 6 countries but way harder to get.

But your idea for your game so good luck and post results.

Do like some of your tech ideas.

• No one gets snuffed. Double Deck (2 of every tech). Let’s say the order is Germany, USSR, Japan, US, UK, Italy, Anzac.

Germany would select 6 techs.
    USSR would then select 6 techs.
    If Germany and USSR selected the SAME techs, No other country would be allowed to have them as they are gone.
    Japan would select 6 other techs.
    And so on…

You still must buy a tech roll to try and get one. This just avoids the USSR getting Super Subs for some odd reason.

You choose what you want. We’ve used this for our Anniversary Edition Double Blind game with great enjoyment.

Just makes the game a little less stale. That is all.

Thanks,
    Brian

• OK. Double Deck. Yes agree on stale. Thats why I have 200 event cards for my game.
    Enjoy !

• Just found this 2+ yr old thread. I like this novel approach, but we’ve tested just reducing the cost of rolls for a tech-centric experience is cleanest. I find that distributing techs at the start of the game is a bit of an unbalanced experience for the simple fact that the nations are not balanced in what they have or need. Reducing the cost of techs typically affords rolls (whereas they seem cost prohibitive as written at $5) to those nations that can utilize the rolls best - America, Germany & Japan, and maybe London. It also affords them rolls in proportion to what they can afford.

We’ve tested $2 rolls and it makes for a fun technology-centric game that doesn’t give unbalancing advantages out of the gate. Nations lose 2 infantry for a 50% chance at a tech as opposed to the whopping 5 for the same chance in the written rules. It makes for many more rolls purchased, obviously.

I’ve also even tested home-brewed advanced technologies I’ll leave for another post.

I play A&A 1940 2nd ed regularly on Roll20 with family and friends. Email me if interested in a test tech-centric game, or even a game with the written rules.

Blazetheactionjunkie@gmail.com

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m