• Well, Switch, since you slapped me to the curb with your response…  :-)

Did I mention that I pull the Brit navy away when I’m feeling conservative? Yup. And with proper logistics Africa can be sealed up quickly with the help of the 2 extra Infantry from Australia. It keeps Germany out of S Africa if Egypt wasn’t immediately re-taken. Nothing wrong with that. And being dreadfully out of position to hurt Japan just happens to make the UK perfectly in position to keep Germany’s economy down. You say tomatoe, I say tomato… many ways to skin the ol proverbial cat. If you like skinning cats.

But to make Britain’s turn more exciting… drink more beer.

• LOL!  Every game is better with alcohol…

Have a friend that I think we are going to get together and do the A&A Drinking Game a few weeks from now (just need to talk him into it, or more importantly talk both of our SO’s into LETTING us do it :-) )

I can see your point about securing southern Africa… would force Germany to send troops to Africa longer…

But the trade off against Japan…  I just don’t think those 3-4 IPC’s are worth it to the Allies.

• The A&A drinking came? A beer a round? Beer when you lose territory? Can you use homebrew for that? Can you use scotch?
    Is there a link in the House Rules section. I love beer.

• It is somewhere here on the boards… I’ll ahve to look for it later.

Consisted of things like a shot of Vodka when Russia took a territory, Whickey when the Americans did… that sort of thing :-)

Imagine some of these longer games with THAT variant…  Wondering how many games could even MAKE 5 rounds… that is a LOT of Saki for the Axis player…

I think it was designed for 5 players… have to downgrade the shots of only 2 players, otherwise I see SERIOUSLY ripped players after Turn 2…

• Well it could certainly lead to some intresting strategies. Or more likely really bad ones.

• The worst part is checking out the game the next morning and wondering just exactly what you were thinking. Oh man I’ve made some bad moves on whiskey.

When I play FTF I write down every purchase for every nation (leaves a nice purchasing history)- but I’ve seen one paper where the writing got so big and sloppy I could hardly read it.  :oops:  Drunken hieroglyphics.

Remember kids- you must be 21 to purchase and imbibe intoxicating substances…

Are we off topic or is this really the key to making the UK more exciting?

• Well, alcohol certainly makes the entire GAME more exciting (or at least interesting)… so I guess we are sort-of still on topic.

But lets move back toward specific changes or modifications or strategies that make UK more enjoyable to play, somethign besides emptying TRNs into Europe…

• The UK has alot of responsibilities on two different fronts. (which reminds me of another old debate I was going to re-open in a separate thread).

I do not think an IC in Africa is desirable or necessary because I don’t think that Germany needs to go after Egypt at all.
    Just like historically, it funnels away troops which are desperately needed in the East for minimal gain. Yes, the gain is minimal. . .You can’t get to south Africa until G3 anyway, and if you decide to go after Italian East Africa on the way down, or French Equatorial Africa instead, it takes even longer, and your gain doesn’t recoup the cost of the troops used to take it.

Even 21 down, the UK can still make a great pain in the neck of itself for Germany,

In the old edition, Africa was important. In the revised edition, I’ve never seen it make a difference.

I wish my chief opponent would agree to an alchoholic A&A session.  Maybe then we’d see some variety. Or maybe I’d win once in a while. . .

• I think a strong argument can be said for the fact that Britain already is one of the most exciting countries to play. After all, there the only country that is able to participate in practically any important battle. Fighters to Moscow, capturing Africa, landing in France, defending India, island hopping from Australia, fighting subs, invading Italy… I mean Britain is pretty awesome as if :).

P.S if you couldnt tell they’re my favorite country to play.

• I think UK is exciting too. I don’t understand why anyone thinks a country is “boring.” I mean if you have better things to do find a different game.  :-) It improves your play as any one country to take a stab at playing one of the others.

• 2007 AAR League

I don’t find any of the countries “boring”.  They each have their own unique role

US-“The arsenal for democracy”
    UK-“The Wild Card”
    Japan-“King of the Pacific”
    Russia-“Commie Cannon Fodder”
    Germany-What can you say…they’re Germans…always starting wars and generally stirring up trouble!

I’d be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m