• '21 '20 '18 '17

@Stough I believe hes speaking referentially–you are so overwhelmed by the Axis reaching income threshold (often 70/60). Once they get the russian factories and kill a player, its not a game that can be won 2v2.

The only “official” econ victory is in G42/tournament play, that I know of.

Recall in Sireds’ version (at least last year) you can’t even build capital ships at the edges of the boards without an upgrade

• @Stough if the Axis captures Moscow, India, China, and the Iraq before the Allies have a major threat to capture an Axis capitol, the Germans and Japanese can focus on the long-game plan of massive air force in Europe and massive navy in the Pacific. Eventually, a slight economic advantage will allow them to force the Allies to surrender.

If you can build 5 planes/round for Germany, the mobility will make the USA/UK position untenable as they can’t afford to protect Egypt, their W European beach head(s), and their fleet. The Allies will eventually quit without needing to actually capture a final victory territory. There won’t even be a major decisive battle for play-by-email games as you can carefully avoid any significant combat which would have disadvantageous odds. A bit boring, but effective.

• I think this topic just shows how far up my caboose my head is. I’m so new and playing my first two game by forum. WOW! There is sooooo much I don’t know about how to play this game.

• @Stough It takes about 5 games to even get the basic principles, 50 games to become good, and 500 games to become a “master”. There are so many nuances to the strategies and mistakes take a long time to reveal themselves. An incorrect move on round 1 will have dramatic consequences on your options on turn 7+ because the advantages help produce even more advantages later on. That one extra plane will not only destroy so many units over the course of the game, but also give you extra income to buy more planes.

After you play a few games and get the basics, watch the moves that experts make in their games and see how the matches play out over the next turns. When you see a good Axis opening, memorize it and use it frequently until you master it. Then try a different Axis opening.

• That is really great advice and observations.

My first game was just a disaster in operating Triple A and how little I knew how the rules actually impacted the game.

My second game, I’m much better on those, still some holes, but now it’s like getting to the top of a hill and seeing that I’m actually just on the first foothill with the Himalayas before me. The whole scrambling thing still makes my head explode. And the wastefulness of my purchases has been amazingly flagrant. The Allies are fricken complicated.

This game is pretty awesome, because learning all of that stuff makes it fun and will keep me coming back to it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m