• @Midnight_Reaper Secondly, I am aware of the existence of nuclear powered shipjacks, however, in this game, you specifically have to research nuclear powered subs, so if NATO starts with a nuclear sub it wouldn’t make sense. Thanks for the thoughts though!

• @Midnight_Reaper Lastly, on the subject of the sabre and the thunderstreak…

You make a decent point that they are similar, however, as NATO uses the super sabre as their air superiority fighter, which has a tailplane that is in line with the wings, I don’t think it will be too similar. The Sabres that SEATO is using will look nearly identical to that of the thunderstreak, now that I think about it, but the plastic will be in a different color so they shouldn’t be too confusing. Especially since MiGs also look identical to Sabres at that scale. Worst case scenario, I could pull a total cop out like Avalon Hill did and just make the strike fighters bigger then the air superiority fighters. Why I would consider using the thunderjet, it was already being phased out at the time and being replaced with the thunderstreak by 1955.

I do appreciate your thoughts and would love to hear what you think about the other sets. If your interested in the subject in general, just DM me and you can be part of the team!

• So I was finishing the parts list, and it occurred to me how many dice are needed to play the game as I intended. Considering each nuclear attack allows for 15 dice and each thermonuclear 30, the game is pretty dice intensive. So then it occurred to me, should nuclear weapons be that powerful. I mean, each territory is such a large space, what are the chances that thirty separate armies are all going to be that close together? Part of me thinks I should make them less powerful, however, I feel like it takes away from the Cold War feel, and there are already heavy repercussions for using these weapons. Any thoughts?

• Make each nuclear attack roll a specified number of dice, preferably 10 dice or lower ,to reduce the need for a large number of dice. Then, the damage dealt by each nuclear attack is determined by adding together specific number results. Examples below:
    Standard nuclear- roll 6 dice, add results of 4 and 5 together for total damage.
    Salted nuclear- roll 6 dice, add results of 2, 3, and 4 together for total damage.
    Thermonuclear- roll 8 dice, add results of 5 and 6 together for total damage.
    Enhanced radiation- roll 8 dice, add results of 4, 5, and 6 together.
    These are rough stats and need some modifications to not make nuclear weapons too overpowered.

• @MonsieurMurdoch What do you mean by damage? That would make sense for facilities but not units. Are you saying that you would remove that many units or something?

• @Militarized-Milkmen
    Yes, you would remove the same number of units from the territory equal to the total damage.

• even on amatuer printer, my BTR-152 APC,. and T-55 and M48 Patton MBT's came out pretty good

• Nukes are gone! sort of… Okay not really. All of the nukes have been condensed down to a more accurate strategic and tactical…

TAC NUKES ABLE TO BE USED BY ALMLOST ALL UNITS EXCEPT DOES NOT PROVOKE SECOND STRIKE, RELATIVELY WEAK, MAYBE 3-8 DICE HIT ON 5-4 OR LESS OR SOMETHING COST 1 IPC 1-3 turns of fallout killing 1-2 units per turn.

STRAT NUKES, ONLY ABLE TO BE USED BY AIR BASES, SUBS, AND BOMBERS, COMPLETELY OTHER TIER OF POWER ROLL 6-12 DICE OR SOMETHING, TAKE NUMBER OF CASUALITES EQUAL TO TOTAL. AUTO DESTROYS FASCILITIES. 5-10 turns of fallout killing 2 units per turn.

The reason there is a range is because I’m not 100% sure on a number yet.

• why are the rules 68 pages!!! Its too long nobody has time to read and memorize such a document! Ideally 16 pages tops

• @Imperious-Leader Well, not to be rude, but no $&#@ it’s to long. That’s why I’m simplifying the rules. I will be removing parts about Vietnam and simplifying the nukes. The rules will also be worded differently. Originally, the rules were intended to sound a lot like the g40 rules, so that it would be more familiar, but the community isn’t showing a whole lot of interest, so we’re planning on completely rewording, and likely simplifying the rules so that it doesn’t sound as much like an Axis and Allies game. This will also allow us to launch it on kickstarter possibly for profit. I would argue that it can be longer then 16 pages however, g40 is 40 pages.

• We will also be transferring to 12 or maybe even 20 sided dice to further diverge from Axis and Allies standard. I may be removing page references to trim down on length as well. This may mean that the rules might be slightly more confusing, but the game is only intended for veteran players anyway. while this game will not be an Axis and Allies game anymore, we will continue posting here because our game is meant for this community, and is still similar at heart.

• Of course, none of this is certain. We have the ability to make pieces and sell materials and what not, but only in a very limited way.

• @Militarized-Milkmen said in Cold War: It's Finally Done:

We will also be transferring to 12 or maybe even 20 sided dice to further diverge from Axis and Allies standard. I may be removing page references to trim down on length as well. This may mean that the rules might be slightly more confusing, but the game is only intended for veteran players anyway. while this game will not be an Axis and Allies game anymore, we will continue posting here because our game is meant for this community, and is still similar at heart.

If you do a system dice change to pieces I’d go no further than D12. D20 you could use for certain tech etc…

• Okay, d12 is easier anyway since I can almost always just double the values

• yea but g40 is alot of fluff and the ideas are build upon previous incarnations of the game. The pages have alot of pictures and that wall of text reminds me of somebody who’s name starts with A and ends in R. But i support your effort and hope the best. It does appear that you did alot of research for this period.

Of course, none of this is certain. We have the ability to make pieces and sell materials and what not, but only in a very limited way.

Good, Good , Good!

• I’m not sure what you mean by starts in a and ends in r. And thank you, I have done a lot of research for this stuff. So much to the point that I can rarely ever see or hear anything between the end of WW2 to the late 90s, without being pained. Also, when it comes to the rules, keep in mind, a lot of it is tech, and you don’t have to have that memorized, just find a couple of techs that suit your strat and memorize those.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

im not sure what you mean from a to r. Thank you I have done an absurd amount of research into this time period. Also, a lot of the rules, in so far, are fluff as well. Much of it is a reference to rules stated elsewhere, and much of it is repeated. Also a lot of it is tech, which you don’t have to memorize all of. What you can do is find a handful of techs that work with your strategy, and just memorize those.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m