• From various sources we can read that the 3rd Edition of Classic - implemented in Hasbro’s 1998/1999 “Axis&Allies” computer game - introduced “Kamikaze” as a game option.

What I seem to know about this rule in this edition is that planes can use their full movement points to reach combat - regardless of a valid landing space. Is that correct?
    Now I don’t have access to neither the game nor the rulebook - so can someone please explain how exactly the Kamikaze rules work in that edition?

I am especially interested in:

• Is this a technology, a national advantage or a common option? How is “Kamikaze” activated?
    • Can only Japan profit from Kamikaze or every power?
    • When on their Kamikaze run, can they attack only sea units - or can they attack land units in territories, too?
    • What happens during combat?
      In the Revised Edition (2004) “That air unit automatically becomes an opening fire casualty in addition to any other casualties inflicted in this cycle of combat.”
      – How is this handled in Classic 3rd edition?
      – What happens to the Kamikaze-plane once combat begins?
      – Is it an automatic casualty or maybe the first casualty to be chosen or something else?
      – Exactly when is it removed from play?
    • Can it survive the Conduct Combat Phase? If yes - what happens in the following NCM phase in that case?

I am interested in the official OOB rules, only. So please no variations, house rules etc.

Thanks a lot.

• Three examples come to my mind (if Kamikaze is allowed in Classic 3rd Editions):

• During Non Combat Move, if a fighter can land only if a carrier moves to any one of some zones, am I obliged to move the carrier to one of the zones (so to avoid the fighter to crash)?
    • During Non Combat Move, can I choose not to move a surviving fighter that took part in a land battle, on the current turn, no matter if the fighter has enough mobility left to move to a zone where it can land (I realize this is idiotic)?
    • During Non Combat Move, can I move a fighter (that maybe never moved yet) into a newly conquered/liberated or enemy territory just to make it crash (I realize this is idiotic)?

• @Panther this is a optional rule in the roster.
    Is only practical in combat movement.
    Air planes can go to a battle regardless if they have movement points left to land after the battle. So air plane flies to a battle, on four territories far. The battle ends, win or retreat, survival “kamikaze” plane dies.
    Option for all powers
    Can attack all units (but no subs and AAA)
    If you declare a carrier will move in non combat to a sea zone, were you use a kamikaze, them technically, if you control the sea zone after the battle, the plane can land.
    As the rule reads only fighter planes can be kamikazes.
    New Bitmap Image.jpg

• @Valladares Awesome, thanks a lot. Some additional questions if you allow:

The battle ends, win or retreat, survival “kamikaze” plane dies.

How exactly does it die? Is it automatically removed once it has shot? Or is it taken as first casualty? Or is it handled like any other casualty/defending unit? Does it automatically die when not having been taken as casualty? If the defender does not score a hit is it removed automatically at the end of the battle? What is the procedure here?

If you declare a carrier will move in non combat to a sea zone, were you use a kamikaze, them technically, if you control the sea zone after the battle, the plane can land.

In that case would that not be a regular combat move then, instead of a Kamikaze, as a valid landing place has been laid out during combat move phase? Does the program somehow distinguish movement in that case?

Thank you again.

• @Panther in table surviving kamikaze fighters are automatically removed after the battle, win or retreat. In battle they technically act as any other fighters, you can select them as casualty’s at any time, but any Kamikazes left at the end, die.

If you declare a game with kamikaze rule, all players can use it
    you meet to declare and “mark” what fighters you are using as kamikazes in you turn.

“In that case would that not be a regular combat move then”. yes. But the key is you need to declare and mark what planes are kamikazes, so no cheat or confusion. I need to replay some games in the PC to remember if they die after the battle finish or die at the end on the non combat movements, wen airplane landing phase takes place. But in table, we used to eliminate surviving kamikazes at the end of the battle, to avoid arguments, if we don’t have a token to mark the fighters and the kamikazes.
    For example, you have 3 battles and you use normal fighters and kamikazes, is easy to forget, or to cheat, how many surviving models are what, so a bad player cheater can tell you: -oh, I already take in the battle as casualties the kamikazes, and those here are now fighters and… blabla bla yaquiris maquiris-.
    So, make tokes to mark, what fighters you want to use as kamikazes before any combat moves, them eliminate surviving kamikazes after any battle. If you want to by super formal, eliminate them in the landing phase of the non combat movement.

• @Valladares Very interesting, thank you for the insights.

I need to replay some games in the PC to remember if they die after the battle finish or die at the end on the non combat movements, wen airplane landing phase takes place.

Oh yes, I would be very interested to know how the software handles all of that. So when you find some time to test this out I would really appreciate that. :slightly_smiling_face:

• So I’ve just been playing my old 98 hasbro CD game with kamakazi on.Many will recall that the CD was very glitchy,so a number of patches became available to download .I run it with a patch from A&AWC installed about 2010.Selecting the kamakazi option does NOT mean you can try to crash your planes into selected targets.lt simply allows any player to use all of their fighter movement on their combat move.100% the fighter will be lost before the end of your turn…hence the name kamakazi.It can still be lost to AA guns,or combat loss before literally running out of gas.
    On the CD software the 1st fighters to go into battle are the 1st lost.This is important to know because,after the combat is resolved and a number of fighters remain to land ,it’s best to have the ones with most movement left.To test ,on J1 I attacked India with 2 inf 1 fgt from FIC plus 1 fgt(a kami) from philipines,making sure ,using the computer mouse ,to bring the kami in 1st.Therefore when I chose a fgt as 1 of my 2 casualties,the kami died and I was left with a fgt with 3 spaces of ncm available

• @ampdrive Thank you very much!

If you find time, can you please test and answer these follow-up questions?

1. Let us assume that the enemy doesn’t score any hits against a kamikaze plane. Is that plane automatically destroyed then? At what time of the game then - during or at the the end of the Conduct Combat Phase or later during Noncombat Move or even later?
    2. In case you would be able to bring a Carrier (not intended during Combat Move Phase) - would that Kamikaze plane be destroyed regardless?
    3. In case the plane is the only attacking air unit amongst land units: Will it always be the first casualty to be taken out?

Thanks again :slightly_smiling_face:

• #1 Let us assume that the enemy doesn’t score any hits against a kamikaze plane. Is that plane automatically destroyed then? At what time of the game then - during or at the the end of the Conduct Combat Phase or later during Noncombat Move or even later?
    It’s destroyed at the end of noncombat.You need to use any remaining movement.If you’re like me,you may click done for NCM and the software will direct you to all the air units you have’nt landed.The planes flash.If any plane is unable to land it tells you eg"a plane ran out of fuel and was lost in the Java sea"
    #2 If its possible you can land on a carrier,but you can choose not to.
    #3 Having kamis activated does’nt require you to choose them as combat phase losses.I sent a tank and a kami fgt from west europe to egypt vrs 1 inf.Hit the inf but took 1 casualty.Software allowed me to take the tank as my casualty.Of course the plane ran out of fuel over Egypt and was also lost after NCM.
    cheers

• @ampdrive Awesome, thanks a lot!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m