• Okay so I bought 1941 (the version that’s supposed to be for beginner’s/introducing new players). I have quite a few random questions.

1. I understand that the developer (Larry Harris) added/updated the beginning numbers for some people. I have seen the numerical changes, but what should the official count now be? I ask because my setup guide has 6 infantry in Russia, does that mean it’s updated or should I add 3 more to that 6 count? (same thing with US destroyer, etc.). This is elementary but I have not seen anyone explain a clear TOTAL for what the power start with merely the additions.

2. Can Fighters/Bombers attack defenseless transports? If so do transports role for anything? This also leads into, can aircraft just attack sea units (unless it’s a sub)?

3. How does loading/unloading of troops in transports work, especially when the transport, technically doesn’t have to move anywhere (i.e. you are playing Japan and seemingly can unload/load troops at will in certain areas)? What movements counts are there? In a combat round, can a tank still more “two places”? Like if Manchuria is enemy territory but has no forces, can the tank still blitz?

4. What happens if say Japan and/or Germany occupies both sea zones off the coast of Eastern AND Western US. It’s the US’s turn and have enough IPC’s, can they mobilize those units in the sea zones? What happens if it’s Germany/Japan’s turn?

5. To clarify a submarine’s “surprise strike” (if the battle is sans destroyer), means its attack allows no “casualty” strike (unless it’s a battleship which can absorb one hit).?

I’ve tried searching using keywords etc. but I think I don’t understand the deep lingo enough to have the right query so ultimately I have not found that answers to these things.

Also, are there other adjustments to the game that people recommend? Ultimately I’ve noticed that the income for everyone leaves all players with much less buying power than someone would want for replenishing. I get in a sense that’s fair but it seems after a while the battles are like 1 tank vs. 2 infantry. and also leaving almost nothing for movement.

Appreciate any input/answers. I first played this game when I was in middle school (but the Pacific/Europe versions, circa like 2001) and finally got back into it.

• @fenderbender4 Welcome to the forum.

@fenderbender4 said in A bunch of noob questions...:

I understand that the developer (Larry Harris) added/updated the beginning numbers for some people. I have seen the numerical changes, but what should the official count now be? I ask because my setup guide has 6 infantry in Russia, does that mean it’s updated or should I add 3 more to that 6 count? (same thing with US destroyer, etc.). This is elementary but I have not seen anyone explain a clear TOTAL for what the power start with merely the additions.

In case your setup page indicates 6 infantry in Russia, you are going with the latest and current setup.
    All the adjustments mentioned in 2014’s official FAQ should be included in that new print, then.

Can Fighters/Bombers attack defenseless transports? If so do transports role for anything? This also leads into, can aircraft just attack sea units (unless it’s a sub)?

Yes they can. Defenseless transports don’t roll dice but are destroyed (see “Defenseless Transports” on page 17 of the rulebook).
    Air units can attack sea units. They can attack even submarines in case the air units are supported by an attacking destroyer.

How does loading/unloading of troops in transports work, especially when the transport, technically doesn’t have to move anywhere (i.e. you are playing Japan and seemingly can unload/load troops at will in certain areas)? What movements counts are there? In a combat round, can a tank still more “two places”? Like if Manchuria is enemy territory but has no forces, can the tank still blitz?

Page 28 of the Rulebook covers this all:
    Loading and Offloading: A transport can load cargo from one or two territories in or adjacent to friendly sea zones that it
    occupies before, during, and after it moves, then offload the cargo at the end of its movement. For example, it could pick
    up 1 land unit, move 1 sea zone, pick up another land unit, move 1 more sea zone, and finally offload both land units. A
    transport can also remain at sea with cargo still aboard. In that case, the cargo remaining aboard must have been loaded in a previous turn, loaded this turn in the Noncombat Move phase, or loaded this turn for an amphibious assault from which the transport retreated.
    Loading onto or offloading from a transport counts as a land unit’s entire move; it cannot move before loading or after
    offloading. Place the land units alongside the transport in the sea zone. If the transport moves in the Noncombat Move phase, any number of units aboard can offload into a single friendly territory.”

Please ask back if anything remains unclear.

1. What happens if say Japan and/or Germany occupies both sea zones off the coast of Eastern AND Western US. It’s the US’s turn and have enough IPC’s, can they mobilize those units in the sea zones? What happens if it’s Germany/Japan’s turn?

Rulebook, page 20: “Place sea units only in sea zones adjacent to territories containing eligible industrial complexes. New sea units can enter play even in a hostile sea zone. No combat occurs because the Conduct Combat phase is over”

On Germany’s/Italy’s turn the “Sea Units starting in Hostile Sea Zone rules” apply. (page 12)

To clarify a submarine’s “surprise strike” (if the battle is sans destroyer), means its attack allows no “casualty” strike (unless it’s a battleship which can absorb one hit).?

Correct.

Also, are there other adjustments to the game that people recommend?

For possible (not official) other adjustments check out the House Rules category of our forum.

• @Panther said in A bunch of noob questions...:

@fenderbender4 Welcome to the forum.

I understand that the developer (Larry Harris) added/updated the beginning numbers for some people. I have seen the numerical changes, but what should the official count now be? I ask because my setup guide has 6 infantry in Russia, does that mean it’s updated or should I add 3 more to that 6 count? (same thing with US destroyer, etc.). This is elementary but I have not seen anyone explain a clear TOTAL for what the power start with merely the additions.

In case your setup page indicates 6 infantry in Russia, you are going with the latest and current setup.
    All the adjustments mentioned in 2014’s official FAQ should be included in that new print, then.

Can Fighters/Bombers attack defenseless transports? If so do transports role for anything? This also leads into, can aircraft just attack sea units (unless it’s a sub)?

Yes they can. Defenseless transports don’t roll dice but are destroyed (see “Defenseless Transports” on page 17 of the rulebook).
    Air units can attack sea units. They can attack even submarines in case the air units are supported by an attacking destroyer.

How does loading/unloading of troops in transports work, especially when the transport, technically doesn’t have to move anywhere (i.e. you are playing Japan and seemingly can unload/load troops at will in certain areas)? What movements counts are there? In a combat round, can a tank still more “two places”? Like if Manchuria is enemy territory but has no forces, can the tank still blitz?

Page 28 of the Rulebook covers this all:
    Loading and Offloading: A transport can load cargo from one or two territories in or adjacent to friendly sea zones that it
    occupies before, during, and after it moves, then offload the cargo at the end of its movement. For example, it could pick
    up 1 land unit, move 1 sea zone, pick up another land unit, move 1 more sea zone, and finally offload both land units. A
    transport can also remain at sea with cargo still aboard. In that case, the cargo remaining aboard must have been loaded in a previous turn, loaded this turn in the Noncombat Move phase, or loaded this turn for an amphibious assault from which the transport retreated.
    Loading onto or offloading from a transport counts as a land unit’s entire move; it cannot move before loading or after
    offloading. Place the land units alongside the transport in the sea zone. If the transport moves in the Noncombat Move phase, any number of units aboard can offload into a single friendly territory.”

Please ask back if anything remains unclear.

1. What happens if say Japan and/or Germany occupies both sea zones off the coast of Eastern AND Western US. It’s the US’s turn and have enough IPC’s, can they mobilize those units in the sea zones? What happens if it’s Germany/Japan’s turn?

Rulebook, page 20: “Place sea units only in sea zones adjacent to territories containing eligible industrial complexes. New sea units can enter play even in a hostile sea zone. No combat occurs because the Conduct Combat phase is over”

On Germany’s/Italy’s turn the “Sea Units starting in Hostile Sea Zone rules” apply. (page 12)

To clarify a submarine’s “surprise strike” (if the battle is sans destroyer), means its attack allows no “casualty” strike (unless it’s a battleship which can absorb one hit).?

Correct.

Also, are there other adjustments to the game that people recommend?

For possible (not official) other adjustments check out the House Rules category of our forum.

Excellent thank you for the clarifications!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m