Question regarding combat for unit inside hostile sea zone

• I am confused about the following scenario and how to resolve it:
    (anniversary edition)

There is an Italian submarine in Sea zone 13.

My opponent has a factory in Morroco/Algeria and deployed a US destroyer in Sea zone 13 using his factory alongside my submarine.

On Germany’s turn, I send in a subamrine and plane to seazone 13 to try to destroy the US destroyer.

My question:
    What would the Italian submarine do (since it is not Italy’s turn yet, Italian submarine can’t decide to withdraw or stay and fight yet)

Will the Italian submarine fight alongside Germans? or defend?
    Or will it just stay there and do nothing?

This is very perplexing to me and I would appreciate it if I could get a response - thanks.

• The relevant guideline to remember here is “defend together, attack separately”.

In this case, we have a sea zone with 1 US destroyer and 1 Italian submarine. On Germany’s turn, Germany sends 1 submarine and 1 “plane” to attack the destroyer. As German is attacking, Italian will do nothing. The battle will between the German forces and the US destroyer alone.

IF the destroyer had been German and the attacker the US, then the submarine would have helped to defend the sea zone. The battle would have been the US submarine and plane against the German destroyer and Italian submarine.

Does that make sense to you?

-Midnight_Reaper

• @Midnight_Reaper I see! It wasn’t explained explicitly in the rule book, but the defend together attack separately rule defn makes sense in this case
    Thanks for explaining every thing so clearly. Appreciate it!

• @Pinnacle said in Question regarding combat for unit inside hostile sea zone:

It wasn’t explained explicitly in the rule book, but the defend together attack separately rule defn makes sense in this case

It is at the very top of page 21:
    Multinational Forces
    Units on the same side can share a territory or sea zone, constituting a multinational force. Such forces can defend together, but they cannot attack together.”

I have moved the topic to the Anniversary category of our forum.

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m