• My strategy buff friends introduced me to an ancient game called “Stratego.” I figured some of you folks might have some good ideas, or general safeguards, to remember so I don’t get third degree burns the next time I play them.

Hide your flag in a corner sorrounded by 2 bombs…

anyone else?

Sometimes, I would try the opposite, put a bunch of bombs on one side but leave my flag relatively unguard (maybe 1 bomb or something) and see if I could trick my opponent into going to the wrong side.

Ocassionally I would also not put it in the last row, maybe on one side in the middle row or something.

But usually it would be the pick a corner and surround by bombs.

• Stratego is a memory game.  Put weak pieces up front and use them to find out the lay of the land. Pay attention to how your opponet is moving.  If your opponet finds a group of bombs and begins to move one man directly to that area, you can bet its an 8.  Attack it with a 7.  Also move pieces so that your oppnent is confused.  Be bold with a weak piece but dont attack much, make him think its a low number and he will get out of your way.  Also pay attention to what is being moved and not being moved.  I often put weak pieces together and dont move them.  This makes my opponet think my flag is there when it is not.  He diverts all his attention and I can tell where his flag is when I see what he isnt moving.  Putting the flag in a corner is the expected move so try something diffrent and put strong pieces in the corners so he will have a surpise when he thinks he is getting your flag.

Hope it helps.

• Stratego, a classic. Also try the 4 player version. It is just as good, if not better.

One of the best strategies is to have a bomb in the square in front of the corner, where most people put their flag.

bomb–->>>| *
    corner–>>>L_

So they hit the bomb, and they know your flag is the next spot. put a number 4 in that corner spot where they think the flag is. (The sergeant, the unit ranking one higher than miner.)  The rules say that when any unit hits a bomb, the unit dies, and the BOMB STAYS. Some dippys play that the bomb is removed, which is stupid because then there is no point to a bomber! Tell me if the diagram is confusing because it probably is.

• Never put the flag on the corner. Thats what everybody does.  I like to put it in the row just ahead and surround with bombs. Minors on the front lines or just behind them.

Your spy goes next to the number 2, because once the enemy knows where #2 is he will send his #1 and the spy will kill him.

Also, try to keep a #3-4 near each of the entrances to kill off any “peek a boos”

Thats a great game. but try to buy the wooden block set from like 1961. Thats a comfort game is ever their was one.

• 2007 AAR League

good ideas everyone.  I do the corner idea with the flag.  I will put about 3 bombs in the area and two sevens.  Also at the squares i put a bomb always on one edge on the side my flags on.  Indeed keep your spy by the number 2 until you and your opponent get really good.  Then its trickery.

• Some people play where if the number 1 attacks the spy, then the number 1 dies, but that is wrong. The rules say that the spy must attack the number one to kill him.

• Thats correct. Thats why the spy and number 2 guy have to be close so on offense the #2 is like a battering ram ( with support units) and once the other chap sends out his #1 and possibly kills your own #2… then you kill him with the spy. The movement has to be cloaked and its better if you do this as a defense measure… like to lure him in and not even move the spy. I wish they did Stratego with WW2 units…

• Conduct recon missions (find out where the enemy’s strongest pieces are), then storm his weakest point with your strongest pieces. As for the flag I simply surround it with bombs.

• ALRIGHT
    STRENGTHEN ONE SIDE WITH THE MAJORITY OF YOUR LARGER PIECES, OTHER SIDE=MINEFIELD(SMALL) 10 IN CORNER SURROUND BY 2 BOMBS, OPPOSITE SIDE=FLAG SURROUNDED BY 2 BOMBS.
    EVERYTIME A PLAYERS PIECE COMES IN, JUMP IT WITH SO MANY LARGE PIECES(RETREAT IF THE INVADER IS BIGGER OF COURSE)
    BASICALLY FAKE THE FLAG WITH A HUGE PIECE
    ALSO

IF PLAYING THE STAR WARS VERSION, TRY DESTROYING THE DROIDS(THIS IS THE ONE I PERSONALLY PLAY, THEREFORE I DO NOT KNOW IF MY ASSUMPTIONS ARE TRUE), BUT THE STRATEGY WORKS EVERY TIME FOR ME

• Don’t waste all of your scouts… They become laser beams if you know where their flag is :D By the way the spy and the general trick is the oldest in whole stratego… I like it way better when your spy is on defense and fake that the spy moves with the general. Then his #1 comes in on the other side of your field and Boom say bye bye #1.
    Another tactic I occasionally use is putting strong units up font so he storms in with weaker units. They got owned and then you have to push hard. Scouts on the second row so you easily identify his strat and move in for the kill :D

• If you really love Stratego try and get Ultimate Stratego. It is out of print but you can find it online for 25$. It has a 4 player version and a 2 player lightning version. I think it might be even better than the original Stratego.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m