• '21 '20

What is the most efficient and reliable way to take Moscow?

I’ve been trying to come up with a way to take Moscow consistently but but cheaply (doesn’t matter when). I want to be able to contain Russia FAST so I can effectively spend IPCs on fending off American landings and go for Egypt before there is a large enough allies presence in the middle east.

Ideas I’ve come up with…

1 - Rush for Ukraine, Rostov, Western Ukraine and the Caucasus. Plop down 2 minor factories in Rostov and Western Ukraine and in combination with the two there, you can pump you 6 infantry and 6 artillery a round right next to Moscow. These can later be repurposed to taking out the middle east.

2 - Just rush straight for Moscow as fast as possible ignoring all else, although not sure is possible if the Russians decide to turtle.

3 - Don’t spend too much on Moscow with Germany, just enough to match the Russian money’s effectiveness, and spend everything else accomplishing your other goals while Japan spends some extra effort clearing Siberia and eastern Russia to minimize their income

4 - Germany just buys 10 Artillery Per round in Germany for a few rounds then switches over to mechanized to catch up later at Moscow, Germans spend other money on planes in order to hold together other fronts.

• I feel like buying slow movers round 1 (6 art 2 inf) and then buying fast movers turn 2-4 then buying planes after works wonders, since the slow movers end up at Moscow G6, and the tanks/mechs are supporting those artillery at Moscow’s doorstep, though G4 purchase of mechs will make it G7. Strafing Yugoslavia with your German troops will make seizing Ukraine G3 easy with a G2 DOW. Basically, just make a beeline for Moscow, moving small groups of units to take other territories while leaving the vast majority of your forces to take Moscow by G6.

G1: 6 ART / 2 INF (could also do 4 ART / 2 INF / 1 Destroyer to kill the Russian submarines)
    G2: 10 ARM / 2 MECH
    G3: 6 ARM / 4 MECH
    G4+ any mix of infantry to defend the western front and planes to move to the East would work, depending on what the Allies do you could plop 20 infantry a turn in the west or build a crap ton of planes to go to Moscow. All of the G1-3 purchases will make it to Moscow right before the Siberian infantry will arrive on R6. If you have the Ukraine factory you could buy 3 mechs or 3 tanks a turn there since they are only 2 spaces away from Moscow, or G4 you could put 3 infantry or 3 artillery there since they will be able to make it G6. But basically invest most if not all of your money to the Eastern front for the first 3 turns and then focus on defending the West from the Americans and British.

Once Moscow is taken then you can use the remaining Germans to take out the Caucuses, Leningrad, Stalingrad, and the Middle East. Germany should be making a crap ton of IPCs by that time and that should be plenty enough to shut down the Allies in the West, unless the US is investing 60+ IPCs a turn in ground units to land in Spain, Italy, or your coast.

• @xFearing is it standard for the german player to buy so much armor on T2 and T3?

• @Aaron_the_Warmonger Probably not but it’s a lot of offense to take Moscow when push comes to shove. Could buy a bunch of mechs instead for more HP or a more even mix of both. That’s just how I’d do it

• '21 '20

I think I’ve figured it out… Germany on G2 Buys 10 Artillery in Germany and mechs in western Germany then buys standard German fast movers, leads to a very comfortable G7 Moscow take down even with allied planes.

• '21 '18 '16

i just buy a major industrial facility in Romania on G1 now
    you stack it on G2 8 arty, 1 bomber, 1 armor, 1 bomber in W germany and a destroyer for the Baltic and blast all the way on G3. G4 is another round of 6 inf, 2 arty, mech and armor, tactical in Germany. then you go all out on G5 with 2 tacs and 8 mechs. Do whatever else you want with the rest of your money insert a bomber/destroyer/ftr here and there. you got the south then you get moscow. Easy peazy.

• A Baltic Sea fleet has worked for me in the past…transports in the Baltic Sea means you can funnel troops to Leningrad quickly and also keep the Brits on their toes while also threatening Sea Lion

• @WindowWasher said in Taking Moscow Efficiently:

What is the most efficient and reliable way to take Moscow?

Depends if we’re talking OOB or some mod? I’ll give my views mainly regarding the premises of OOB.

@WindowWasher said in Taking Moscow Efficiently:

1 - Rush for Ukraine, Rostov, Western Ukraine and the Caucasus. Plop down 2 minor factories in Rostov and Western Ukraine and in combination with the two there, you can pump you 6 infantry and 6 artillery a round right next to Moscow. These can later be repurposed to taking out the middle east.

I’ve tried the 2 mIC-strategy myself, sometimes with success, but also with failure against stronger opposition.

I’d say that it’s not very efficient.

The key problem with the strategy is simply economics. The two factories cost 24 IPC to build.

For comparison G has to build 24 inf instead of mechs back home to get square. It will take 4 turns of production per factory, which will be reflected in lack of tempo.

Later on G will have ha hard time to utilize all those mICs.

I’d say the 3 russian mICs are well enough for G to build slow-movers at the front. I usually go 6 inf, 3 art after having succeeded in containing Russia (BM3).

2 - Just rush straight for Moscow as fast as possible ignoring all else, although not sure is possible if the Russians decide to turtle.

This is probably the best strategy. Works well in OOB, but not BM3 or P2V.

3 - Don’t spend too much on Moscow with Germany, just enough to match the Russian money’s effectiveness, and spend everything else accomplishing your other goals while Japan spends some extra effort clearing Siberia and eastern Russia to minimize their income

If this includes containing Russia, it’s a pretty feasible strategy, although not the best in OOB. The main goal for G is to take solid control of Stalingrad and Caucasus.

4 - Germany just buys 10 Artillery Per round in Germany for a few rounds then switches over to mechanized to catch up later at Moscow, Germans spend other money on planes in order to hold together other fronts.

Believe this is unnecessarily slow. First base is Ukraine, because of the mIC. Second base is Stalingrad and Caucasus. With those purchases I believe G will have to halt for a turn or two, which is very bad for them.

• '21 '20

In BM3, 10 artillery on G2 is what has worked for me, you know for sure, even with the far east troops, and 5-10 allied fighters that you will take Moscow on G7 as long as you…

buy fast movers G3-4
    fighters on G5 (like 3-5)
    bombers on G6 (like 2-4)

Moscow doesn’t become an endless slug fest, and when you’re done you have a massive air force for the west/middle east

• @WindowWasher said in Taking Moscow Efficiently:

5-10 allied fighter

I take that back, you have to buy hardcore G6 and G7 air if the allies land any more than 7 planes

• '21 '20

G7 Moscow odds per extra fighter with a G2 Artillery build without 100% air builds on G5-6 (also assuming Russians bring back far east stuff) Also assuming no German bombing.
    1 - 94%
    3 - 80%
    5 - 62%
    7 - 45%

• '21 '20

so by uk 6, they need 7+ fighters in Moscow to stay comfy, and if they can do that, then the Germans must wait till G9 to have a shot due to the whole 12 stack coming in on R7

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m