ksmckay(x) vs Axis-Dominion P2V

• 2020 2019 2018 '16 '15

ok gg, bad rolls lol

• 2020 2019 2018 '16 '15

now finished my second game and I still am having mixed feelings about PTV, I think it may be crossing that fine threshold between being an advanced version with lots of strategic options and being too big and complex. if I am to be honest, I’m finding myself getting very impatient and wanting to take a large swing as soon as it’s offered, that’s now twice almost same situation, and twice it backfired hard and I lost. normally in global I wouldn’t do that kind of thing, taking those odds like that. and both games I was winning as allies, or at least quite ahead economically and felt good about my position.

I feel like this map can lead to a lot of long-term grinding, which I believe was something Andrew gamer was expressing about bm3, except that this one more so than bm3. idk… how about you, how do you feel?

ha, looks like very bad rolls. I figured I didnt have any better options and even if you won, I might be ok just because your forces would be depleted. But I was done with this game anyway.

I wanted to see what happened with a southern attack in europe. I dont think it works without a g1 ground purchase. If g1 naval build, I think germany has to go north. I had a small chance but not a very good one, but then a forgotten move or two completely ruined the push.

In the pac, I think going after Australia is a risky move. I think its solid if US goes light in pacific but I think if US balances the two theaters, its not the greatest move. In this game, with better dice in NSW I think you were hosed in pacific.

Ive been really busy and this game requires more thought, but I do like it. But now isnt the time for it for me. Ill probably put P2V on hold for a bit.

• 2020 2019 2018 '16 '15

Yah same here, I’ve been busier as well and also exploring a lot of new BoardGames. So I think I’ll stick with bm for a while and anyway, they are still working it out and refining it. I think I’m just not a big fan of the current carrier scrambling rules. I’d much prefer to see them nerfed. I gave some suggestions let’s see if anything comes of that.

@ksmckay said in ksmckay(x) vs Axis-Dominion P2V:

ha, looks like very bad rolls. I figured I didnt have any better options and even if you won, I might be ok just because your forces would be depleted. But I was done with this game anyway.

I wanted to see what happened with a southern attack in europe. I dont think it works without a g1 ground purchase. If g1 naval build, I think germany has to go north. I had a small chance but not a very good one, but then a forgotten move or two completely ruined the push.

In the pac, I think going after Australia is a risky move. I think its solid if US goes light in pacific but I think if US balances the two theaters, its not the greatest move. In this game, with better dice in NSW I think you were hosed in pacific.

Ive been really busy and this game requires more thought, but I do like it. But now isnt the time for it for me. Ill probably put P2V on hold for a bit.

this being only my second game, I am not sure. Its definitely Global on steroids, but thats ok I think. I used to love Anniversary, and then global came out which was super complex and fun. But its complexity made it a different game with a different level of commitment. This amps it up a bit more.

I like that its different and engages me in new ways. but definitely the thought of a 30 round game with this level of complexity feels a bit much. I think 15-20 is the sweet spot for me. But perhaps this isnt that different, just takes some getting used to.

@axis-dominion said in ksmckay(x) vs Axis-Dominion P2V:

Yah same here, I’ve been busier as well and also exploring a lot of new BoardGames. So I think I’ll stick with bm for a while and anyway, they are still working it out and refining it. I think I’m just not a big fan of the current carrier scrambling rules. I’d much prefer to see them nerfed. I gave some suggestions let’s see if anything comes of that.

Yeah the carrier scrambling is pretty crazy. Not sure if its a bad thing or not but its definitely the reason this game is so much more complex. I saw they reduced carrier d value to 1, but not sure thats enough.

• 2020 2019 2018 '16 '15

I think for me at least, global/bm may be about as far as I wish to push A&A complexity, as I’m starting to really take interest in other board games I’m exploring. For example, I recently bought Twilight Imperium and GloomHaven, and am preparing to launch into those games with my kids. I already played a year’s straight of Descent 2nd Ed campaigns (dungeon crawler) with my kids and We really enjoyed that. We’re taking a break from that and gonna try gloomhaven etc. I’ve always avoided getting into the more complex varieties of WW2 or war games in general, as they can really consume you. Global is already quite complex as it is, but I’m really used to it and am in a comfort zone with it. I think PTV May have been too big of a jump for me.

Also a new Kickstarter WW1 game recently caught my attention, it’s called Trench Club. I fully backed it and am excited to try that out when it comes out, probably next year.

glad to hear it. Always been curious about gloomhaven. My daughter is pretty young so we arent there yet, but looking forward to it one day. But yeah, global is good enough for me right now. Still a challenge and still forces me to think, but I have a decent enough understanding of it that it doesnt consume me which I dont have time for.

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys

Users

Topics

1.4m