Sea Zone spawning and combat in 1936, and, the Dutch problem.

• Hello there.

If I have a fleet, say the british in a sea zone outside southern France, and the Germans gain control of a few ships and choose not to move them. The British declare war and the Germans elect not to move the fleet even though they could.

So now we have hostile forces in the same sea zone, the British elect to have combat on their turn, but they don’t move, so it’s technically not a combat move because they didn’t actually move anywhere.

In that case, can the British fleet move after combat since they didn’t actually move the fleet ? The rules state -

- Moving into a sea zone with Enemy naval units

Is a combat move, not the combat alone but the moving into the sea zone. Would they get to move after since they didn’t move for combat?

Thanks.

Also, isn’t it a little broken that the Germans don’t have to take the netherlands? This denies the allies access to Dutch resources for the already strapped Anzac and FEC. They can just wait till almost the last turn of the game to take them for the VP.

Thanks again!

• “8.2 During Combat Movement, a player moves all units that are conducting combat”.

Sharing sea zones: “units do not participate in combat until a power makes a new combat move during the combat movement phase”.

Seems to me that units must move to conduct combat, therefore ships can’t move after they’ve conducted combat.

That doesn’t seem broken to me. There’s multiple ways to go. The income japan leaves on the table by not attacking the DEI (8-12/round) presents a significant opportunity cost. It’s certainly not a guarantee that Japan is able to swoop down and grab them at the end if they need to either.

• @turndown4rip Interesting. I believe in your scenario combat would have to happen.

You say above that the UK would wait to declare war until that moment. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn’t already be at war though. The moment Germany attacked France, the UK would have gone to full wartime income. While true, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the UK has to actually declare war on the Axis at that moment in time. And per the rules, as you’ve surmised, they can declare war at any moment during any portion of anyone’s turn.

All that said, I’d have to imagine a German player will have already hit the UK fleet in the Atlantic somewhere, making war already a thing. But I may be getting off topic a bit, as your scenario is technically plausible!

I guess with your situation above, the UK has declared war after Germany’s combat movement phase. So no combat would happen on Germany’s turn. But when the UK’s turn came around, the UK could choose to move it’s ships out of the shared seazone and away from combat. If they left the ships in that zone though, combat would occur. You couldn’t just decide to leave your ships in a contested territory while at war and not have combat occur.

To your Dutch query, I’d have to agree with @ArtilleryAficianado. While you’re correct that those are valuable resources the Commonwealth as a whole losses out on, the Japanese would also be hurt as well by never having all that income, or the bonus income that comes with it. I think that would balance itself out that way. Plus, I think a smart Axis player would effectively negate the Allies from gaining much of that income. A smart move would be to wait to attack the Netherlands itself as Germany until Japan is simultaneously ready to take the DEI, to stop the very issue you bring up of the Commonwealth gaining that income!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m